Zion National Park (July '19)

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by artigas, Feb 12, 2020.

1. artigas

artigas Member

My folks were down from WA state, and we took a little family trip down to Zion. There were 4 of us adult kids with our families down there, so lots of little cousins playing. We stayed in a campground right at the park entrance, as did two of my siblings (one in a trailer...cheaters).

My folks scored a hotel room at a place that had multiple pools and hot tubs. It was also right on the Virgin River. It was the best of both worlds. The kids preferred to play at the pools and river, while still being able to sleep in the tent at nights. My wife is trooper. She was 7 months pregnant with our 3rd, but she stayed in the tent. It helped that we had a big queen blowup air mattress. I guess we did stay in a hotel room the last night haha. We went on a couple of hikes with all the kids; up to the Narrows where we played in the water at the start of the water portion of the Narrows, and I think the lower Emeralds pools.

Besides camping there with my family, the highlight was getting up very early to make one of of the first couple of buses into the park to hike Angel's Landing. My brother, bro-in-law, and I got up there before the crowds. We hiked up pretty fast to pass as many people as we could, and got to the top with very few people up there. It was incredible. By they time we hiked back down, the line to get onto the trail was over 3 hrs. We couldn't have timed it better.

My little guy.
    [​IMG]

Virgin River at hotel
    [​IMG]

Angel's Landing

start of the hike
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at the top
    [​IMG]

It was the 4th of July...HBD America
    [​IMG]

Don't fall off
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the chains
    [​IMG]

Trail gets a little skinny
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics from the park
    [​IMG]

Esee helping out
    [​IMG]

jdh, JV3, C99c and 5 others like this.
  2. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Looks like a fun time! Thanks for sharing! Zion is on our list of places to visit. It is hard to believe that the line to hike Angel's landing was 3 hours long!!! I haven't heard of anything like that before...

3. artigas

artigas Member

I couldn't believe it when the ranger said that. It was the 4th of the July, so it was a very busy weekend, and they try to limit the body count on that hike. I'm just glad we got up there early and beat the bodies.

Adventurer likes this.
  4. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

When we evenutally make it there we'll have to make sure to head out early as well just in case...

artigas likes this.
  5. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I've done Angels at least a dozen times and the best time I have found to do anything in Zion is Winter time.

6. artigas

artigas Member

Yeah, it was certainly hot and busy. I think the same can be said about CanyonLands. to the east. At lest late fall or early spring.

Jeff Randall likes this.
  7. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

Beautiful pictures! I don't have a fear of heights (thank goodness), but looking down from Angel's Landing always makes me very respectful.

Strigidae likes this.
  8. artigas

artigas Member

Respectful is a good way to put it haha.