Coronavirus Concerns

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Delkancott, Jan 30, 2020.

1. jafo

jafo Member

2. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

BobbyRatTail likes this.
  3. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

4. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

From what I have heard there is still nothing...

Lets hope we can keep it out of the U.S. Once it starts spreading here it will be hard to stop.

BobbyRatTail likes this.
  5. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

6. Flex

7. Flex

Its already in the U.S.

Strigidae likes this.
  8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Flex
    I think the reports are mixed...

I have read some stories where doctors at-least “believe” they where able to “treat” the virus with a combo of anti viral drugs.

That as far as I know is up for debate.

I haven’t seen any official backing to these stories but they do say they are very interested in those cases.

One atleast notable theory so far is that it appears to be transmitted through close personal contact and possibly oral fecal transmission... IE people not washing there d@ng hands after using the bathroom..

Over all nothing new..

BobbyRatTail and Flex like this.
  9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

It doesn’t Appear to be in the general population thou. It sounds like the people who have been identified so far in the US where VERY aware of the seriousness. They have gone out of there way in some cases to not infect others. One guy I think I read called the local health department and explained he was pretty sure he might have it. And told them they needed to send a infectios disease team to come get him.

BobbyRatTail and Flex like this.
  10. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

11. JV3

JV3 Member

still no reported cases here so i went to my usual asian massage joint :eek:

C99c and BobbyRatTail like this.
  12. Flex

Not sure what the true numbers are yet.

Even with the truth we are going to realize we are a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.

13. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

If this virus makes you anxious, I can’t imagine how you feel about the overgrowth of MRSA and other cute little buggers from excessive use of hand sanitizer:D

14. Flex

Yup, horrible stuff for sure.
    That is actually my luck also, I will get sick from a virus and start to recover then catch staph...

RocketmanDane likes this.
  15. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

That isn’t even towards me and it makes my skin crawl.... We are a sanitizer and crazy cleaners free household.. ( Not talking about all natural and such. Just limited amounts. )

Kaw-liga and Delkancott like this.
  16. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I stay away from hand sanitizer.

I figure that I’ll get more germs just from the bottle itself that the sanitizer will actually kill.
    Especially public use bottles.

I keep a healthy routine of only washing my hands if I just used the bathroom or if I get them physically dirty with dirt or grime.

17. JV3

JV3 Member

i wonder what the effect is from someone boozing so much that alcohol level in their blood stream is so high no virus can infect them? i'd volunteer for that study in a heartbeat (so long as i'm not in the control group).

18. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I am sure to screw up this explanation but stay with me on this.

BATS are thought to be one of the worst Carriers for some of the nastiest and Deadliest viruses known. Ebola, Marburg Coronavirus, SARS, Nipa, Lassa, rabies and more.

BUT

Of all the viruses that bAts are known to carry Rabies is about the only one that they are actually effected by.

Why?

From what I understand.. This is due to multiple factors. But mostly centered around the effects that Flying has on them. Because of flying they require a crazy amount of energy and must consume a lot of food. This has caused them to essentially develop a SUPER charged metabolism. The amount of energy they convert while consuming food causes them to run what we would think of as a fever. The super charged metabolism combined with the constant high body temp helps protect them from the viruses. So while they may be a carrier their physiology prevents the viruses from Affecting them.

Why does this matter?

Well I think most people would accept the fact that human body temperature should be 98.6 degrees? Right?
    WRONG!
    Studies have started to show that the healthier you are the lower your body temperature. In fact studies have shown that due to a higher quality of life and lower cases of inflammation that a standard body tempAture for a healthy individual runs in the low to mid 97’s.
    Take what you want from it.. But boosting your metabolism and burning off calories may be one of the best ways to protect against these nasty viruses.

19. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

MRSA, VRE and the like are pretty terrifying and definitely prevalent in every setting imaginable these days, but when this stuff started popping up 20 + years ago, the finger points to oral and IV antibiotics. Back then it was people with already compromised immune systems succumbing to these bugs in acute care settings. Now, that **** is everywhere!

20. Flex

Looks like its starting to spread in Japan.