Big changes coming to ESEE Knives

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by shaneadams90, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

That I understand completely, and would do the same thing.

Agree to disagree on cheapening the heat treat, since you are only optimizing for edge retention and not toughness, as you stated you do with the 1095. Why do it with one and not the other? I run 440C, CPM154 and S35VN at 59 on blades that size and they cut circles around 1095 at similar hardness, and are quite tough. From the sound of it, that knife was being used more as a wedge than a cutting tool.

That being said, you know your company much better than I do, I wish you continued success and thank you for taking the time to explain.

Sam

beestokk, Strigidae and Jeff Randall like this.
  2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

We're talking in circles here, Sam. If we're going to offer a compromise blade when it comes to steel then we simply do not want to compromise with expensive steel. Not sure how much plainer I can state that. We could increase the Rc on our 1095 and give more edge holding ability and less toughness at a lot cheaper price, or use another steel such as 440C if we want a stainless blade and the cost would still be much cheaper than S35V. My point that I'm trying to make is that for us the very large difference in price per pound with S35V does not justify the increased performance if it has to be compromised. Again, not trying to debate you at all. I'm just saying this is what we have chosen as a company to aim for. Whatever anyone else does is their own business.

3. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Lol, I hear you Jeff. This is why I don't post on forums much, it can be excruciating to communicate, even when both parties agree. I believe we are in agreement.

I truly sympathize with your situation, I encounter this a lot. My preferred steel is 440C, and done properly I'm not sure I could tell any difference at all between that and CPM154 or S35VN. I try to communicate that to my customers, but many want the upgraded steel because it's trendy right now. I charge a markup, because it is much more expensive than even the 440C.

But that's what many want, regardless of other factors. I'm sure you guys have had to do some gymnastics with the request for "super steel" and the cost vs actual/perceived benefits. Unfortunately, practicality isn't always the driving force for these requests.

Either way, best of luck again and I hope you guys can strike the balance you're after.

Sam

4. Jeff Randall

Sam, I am 10000% behind on you on 440C. Probably the most under-rated stainless in the world when you look at cost vs performance. I will take 440C any day over S35V. Those that say they can tell the difference between properly heat treated 440C and S35V, well, I question that. But S35V is what folks want because it's the over-hyped flavor of the day. I very reluctantly agreed to doing S35V on some knives, knowing full well it would never be what everyone thinks it would on a knife such as the ESEE-3. In all honesty, the "test" Patrick did was doomed to fail from the start simply due to the makeup of the heat treat and steel. I predicted it to Patrick but told him to go ahead and beat the hell out of it anyway. It's simple physics why it failed. So, doing additional tests may show us a better statistical average, hell we could even do 3 Sigma testing on the blades, but in the end the laws of the universe dictate the steel will fail under abuse at 59-60 a lot faster than a 1095 blade will at the hardness we heat treat. So, in the end, we have to determine whether we're a knife company that wants our blades to stand abuse, or a knife company that wants our blades to slice forever. I hope we can be both but the problem is we are known for abuse. You, Patrick, myself and many others in the field could use an ESEE-3 in S35V all day long and never, ever break it, but when we're known for abused tools it's hard to change that ideology to the masses. In the end, we were plain stupid to ever agree to this steel, but it is what it is, so we will either make it a limited run or increase the price to justify all the folks breaking them thinking they can take the same abuse as our regular ESEE-3.

5. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

So after hearing some more of the context, I would consider what Patrick did a success, then. A little more informal than a "scientific trial" for sure, but after reading his post on it in the other thread it sounds like it had the great edge retention that was desired/expected. Not being facetious, it sounds like exactly what one would expect from that steel at that hardness used that way. Nothing wrong with that.

It sounds like you guys (obviously) had expected this, and at a loss in durability. No problem there, I would just market/charge appropriately. If that's not the look you're going for, then I would agree, it doesn't sound like a good fit.

I don't think it's unreasonable to offer both, unless you decide it's cost prohibitive. We're not in the infancy of the "super steel" craze anymore, and many consumers realize now that there are tradeoffs, e.g. toughness/edge retention/corrosion resistance. But again, you know your customers/market a lot better than I do.

Also, at least now you can say you gave it a try, whichever way it goes. That is more experience/data points gained, and you never know how that will come in handy down the road on another decision.

Sam

mtngoat, Strigidae and Jeff Randall like this.
  6. Jeff Randall

Couldn't agree more, Sam.

As a side note, I was one of the few that really liked what Cliff Stamp was doing even though I fought with him numerous times. I know he was well hated by many folks so maybe that's the reason I took a liking to him. I like a guy that just does his own thing without regards to what others say about him. He basically thumbed his nose at the industry and for that I commend the man since we've been doing that for years also in our own way.

7. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

I agree with you. Stamp clearly has a logical mind and is an intelligent/critical thinker. I liked him doing his own thing, and making it fit him. Where I believe he got into trouble was his methodology, which was often inconsistent or used empirical data, which can get you in trouble when it comes to consistency.

That being said, I think he got crapped on more than deserved when on certain forums or made some people feel insecure. Also, he probably should have left Bill Harsey alone, lol.

I appreciate you spending the time to explain everything. Thank you.

Sam

mtngoat, Jeff Randall and Strigidae like this.
  8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

9. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

To summarize, you can squeeze exceptional performance out of 1095 and 440c at a reasonable price point.

10. Frigin

Frigin Member

11. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Dang. All i got was circles. DJ is smrt.

12. Jeff Randall

Yall are confusing me now when it comes to S35V. I'm a true believer 1.png !

13. Strigidae

Doesnt even look like you. Besides, isn't that the snake that came in one night and bit you on the finger while you were sleeping?

14. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

I propose heating and beating two knives together.
    Via the RLP (Redneck Lamination Process)

The resulting SV1130VN should exhibit the best of both worlds.

One has to assume that Jeff Randall’s discussion here, serves several purposes.

First and foremost to warn the masses of the hype of super steels.
    But also to explain just how good 1095 really is.

My dear old dad always used to say;
    “The solution is almost always, worse than the problem”

Any time the owner of a company takes time out of his day to bash one of his latest products.
    I think we should sit up and take notice.

What other reason could he possibly have.
    Other than to inform folks about their expectations.

To many folks this will never matter.
    To others it may or will.

ESEE, as Jeff points out, has always been a tough use tool.
    Carry that forward, people come to depend on their ESEE knives.

I think he is wise and honest, almost to a fault, to post up his feelings and his findings.
    A ballsy move, that has earned a great deal more of my respect.

wiss87, Jeremiah Jones and Strigidae like this.
  15. Jeff Randall

In all honesty I completely understand that some folks want an ESEE knife with great edge retention because they plan to use it as a skinning knife or similar tasks. I'm not faulting those folks since S35V has great properties for that purpose when heat treated properly. S35V has been one of the most requested steels for ESEE to do. I'm just saying that in hindsight I think we screwed up by doing an ESEE-3 in the steel. Not because it's a bad steel at all but it's a steel that doesn't fit what ESEE has become known for. We're going to have to make a decision on where we go from here and will do that soon. I know we will keep S35V on the Xancudo and most likely make an Izula and Ashley Game Knife out of it. Those knives fit that steel perfectly.

16. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I wouldn’t mind seeing it in the CR2.5, that would just be sweet. I will still press on with my trusty 1095 one cuz rust don’t hurt user blades.

17. Strigidae

Agreed. That blade design is a keeper.

18. Frigin

Frigin Member

I just put the cr2.5 in my cart can’t wait to buy it. I was going to just wait and get it when I order the new knives. But don’t know if I can wait.

Strigidae likes this.
  19. Strigidae

Dont wait. Its a staple around my house.

20. Frigin

Frigin Member

I like the way you think.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020