Need Help finding a flashlight

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Solo, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Solo

Solo Member

Need help finding a replacement for my daily use flashlight. It is a Fenix E21. I like the two AA batteries, but what I need most is long throw beam. An 18650 would be great to upgrade to.

Fenix , O-light or other economical, found on Amazon is also a bonus.

Who has some suggestions, to help me out?

Zeek likes this.
  2. Bozho

Bozho Member

For long throw Olight Warrior X is impressive for the size, but it is big for EDC, unless you carry it in a bag.
    Olight M2R Pro uses 21700 battery and has around 300 meters of throw and will fit in a pocket.

BlueDogScout and Solo like this.
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

4. Solo

Solo Member

Wound up getting a Wuben L50. Pretty basic four light modes plus an S O S flasher.

High 1200 lumen claimed.

Medium 400.

Low 75.

Eco 5 lumens.

Eco makes it a good all around light for me.

Rechargable by micro USB port. 18650 Li-Ion battery. Tail switch operates all functions. Rubber cover on the USB port , but I think it is a water proof port because it claims one hour at two meter deep rated.

Cheap enough to give it a try until I decide on what true thrower to get. Good balance of flood to throw that it would make a good camp light. Even light enough I could see backpacking with it. Especially if it will recharge off solar.

5. Kevo

Kevo Member

You'll have to let us know how it runs after some time with it!

For a thrower I've seen the Thrunite Catapult V6 recommended often.

Solo likes this.
  6. ccwaters

ccwaters Member

Catapult V6 is a nice one, a little big for daily carry though, but not bad if you don't mind using the holster it comes with, throw, battery life are good, and it does not ramp down terribly due to heat.

I live in the woods, and carry a thrower quite often One of my favorites is the Lumintop GT micro, runs on a single 14500 cell, battery life is pretty decent, size is not bad (pocketable) throw is quite good, max 1000 lumens, think it was about $40.

Here it is next to my Catapult for size comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Solo and Zeek like this.
  7. ccwaters

ccwaters Member

Sorry about the out of focus shots, my camera is giving me a hard time.

Gt Micro next to 18650 Olight S2R Baton II

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Solo, Zeek, Kevo and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

Not my video, but this is the light I have had for the last four or five years.
    They apparently went all out with this one, and it can use multiple types of batteries. I only ever keep it set to the second from lowest light setting, and I find that most useful for everyday use. If I need more powerful light, I can always turn it up.
    Unfortunately they have discontinued this one, but here is the newer model, but I have no experience with that one.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CRN1YB...colid=QEKG7UJXUWXI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Solo likes this.
  9. Solo

Solo Member

Been using the Wuben for a month now. Conclusion is it is a good general purpose light. Decent flood but not a thrower per se. Basic UI didn’t have a problem with it. Modes are perfectly functional and get used in each for the job at hand. I see it as a great value for the price. Only negative is a personal preference for some stippling on the barrel for grip.

I have since picked up a Lumintop Tool II AA. WOw that is a fabulous light. About the same modes and the same UI as the Wuben. Puts out about the same lumens when using the 14500 rechargeable battery. This is an ideal EDC light. It winds up getting equal time use as the Wuben because it is always in my pocket. The reversible pocket clip makes it a hat bill light. The magnetic tail cap might be useful but the magnet is kind of weak and I prefer a tail switch over twist. The modes are not as easy access with the twist anyway. Only minor negative is the pocket clip is not deep carry. So I just drop it in my pocket. So light (with the rechargeable battery) and small it could be a keychain light.

So impressed with the fit, finish and function of the Lumintop Tool , I will eventually get the GT as a thrower next.

Kevo likes this.
  10. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

I've been carrying a Fenix UC35 for the last three ish years. It's got the 18650 battery you want. I'm pretty happy with it. Wish it had the magnetic rechargability instead of the USB port. I use it at work but it's always in my back pocket.
    A friend of mine who's a auto mechanic recommended it. Those guys wear switches out fast.

Solo likes this.