PTR-91 GI

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by IW17, Dec 15, 2019.

1. IW17

IW17 Member

Looking at picking up a PTR-91 GI. Looking for recommendations from anyone with experience with this rifle. I'm debating whether to spend the $200 more on a model that shoots 762x39 instead of the standard 762x51. 308 opens up more ammo availability and options, yet AK ammo is cheaper in bulk. I don't plan on using this for anything but a range toy so unless there's a good reason to stick with 308, I'm probably going to go for the latter. Any opinions?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Zeek likes this.
  2. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I can't add any information on the PTR specifically, but I can tell you that if its purely a range toy and you dont reload large quantities of .308 I'd get the 7.62x39 version. Depending on how much you shoot you will make that money up quickly. I have a cz 527 carbine in 7.62x39 and a ruger scout in .308, both short handy mauser actions with scopes and iron sights. I shoot the CZ way more than the scout because ammo is so much cheaper....

IW17 likes this.
  3. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

I have never had an issue. Fit and finish are as good or better than my HKs which is 10x better than FN FAILs.

If you don’t believe me, ask @Andy the Aussie.

IW17, Strigidae, Solo and 1 other person like this.
  4. Solo

Solo Member

If you do reload you don’t want a PTR 91, or the HK91. They hammer the brass on ejection.

Still I have always wanted one just as I want an FAL.

IW17 likes this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

....... you are going to HELL DJ !

Zeek, IW17, Strigidae and 1 other person like this.
  6. IW17

IW17 Member

Well damn, decisions, decisions. I definitely like the look of the standard 762x51 model better, and I like the caliber better. But it's hard to deny the fact that the 762x39 is half the price of the other. I'm actually starting to think I should just buy an AK as well so I can have it both ways!

Zeek likes this.