Big changes coming to ESEE Knives

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by shaneadams90, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Now how are we going to sell more knives if they last longer?

Jacob Mason, Bcamos, Josh and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

..... take my money now.... no wait....send me the whole lineup for “evaluation” so I can run off into the Alps with them never to be heard from again ;)

3. patrickknight

patrickknight Member

So maybe go with 20CV @ 62 HRC :)

You can believe either way I will own a stainless 3 with contoured scales and I dont care if its 440C or S35VN.

4. Dougmau

Dougmau Member

I just hope everyone complaining about not not have these so called super steel knives goes and buys them. I personally love ESEE knives but won’t lie and say I would buy a $300 knife when a $100 one in 1095 is coved for life even when they break them on purpose to steal a new one. This is in my opinion one of the best knives and training companies around. How many companies can you actually get a reply from the actual owners. Training has some of the best instructors in the business. Can you please ask mike will rust be covered with these new steels?

5. Dougmau

Dougmau Member

I’ve heard he a great pot stirrer in camp.

6. Eric Kendrick

Eric Kendrick Member

Amen brother!!! Me too

shaneadams90 and Bluelew like this.
  7. Josh

Josh Member

@shaneadams90 @Jeff Randall looking good with the new handles and stainless. You asked:

I’d like to see a CR2.5 in stainless. I live near salt water. I don’t care about so called premium steels. What ever Buck or Victorinox uses on their standard line is fine with me.

After market Handle scale options are great. I like the idea of setting up my gear for the job at hand. So flat thin or no scales for the knife in my briefcase and full grip contoured super comfy “Croc” handles for chores around the house or camping.

apart from the above mentioned hypothetical stainless CR2.5 I wIll probably have a 3 or 4 in the not so distant future.

You have great product with great warranty and a fantastic customer engagement.

8. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

While we are ordering different steels, can I get one in VG10 also?

Zeek and shaneadams90 like this.
  9. joe27

joe27 Member

For me personally the contour handles will be a huge improvement!
    I personally prefer the TKC scales on my 5 and 6 , love the stock ones for the smaller knives but for the larger knives contoured scales make a big difference. It’s going to be great to have the choice between the standards and contoured.
    Once again well done Esee for always being open to change and to keeping your ears out for what the consumers want. It just makes me want to buy more knives

10. blacksprucy

blacksprucy Member

Are these contoured scales going to be made for the Izula and Candiru?

11. W.Jester

W.Jester Member

If everyone is listing their wish list I just want orange g10 scales for the jg-3. Steel choice doesn’t matter however aebl would be awesome. I think s35 is a little overhyped- mostly depends on heat treat though. I would like a pretty tough stainless though like aebl...

12. Jeff Randall

Man, I wish. VG10 is my favorite knife steel of all.

13. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

To be fair, with social media being the way it is now, most company owners interact directly with their consumers. Especially in the knife/gun/gear world.

I would also argue that quite a few of us chasing after super steels have no problem paying the higher price tag. I'm not saying that ESEE's 1095 isn't good, because it's actually quite amazing for what it is. For a survival/bush knife, it's incredibly easy to maintain in the field. However, I'm not bushing it for days at a time. I'm out cutting hay string, gutting critters and opening happy meal toys. Having to sharpen or touch up a softer knife every day gets kind of exhausting, but it's even more frustrating when you forget to touch it up and your knife is dull the next time you go to use it. In that same regard, sharpening S35VN or 3V on a rock would be ridiculously time consuming, but fairly simple with something like 1095.

I'm just saying that everything has its highs and lows. For my day to day use, something like S35 suits my needs better than 1095.

Zeek, CoolBreeze135 and Jeff Randall like this.
  14. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

15. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I volunteer my oven as tribute. Send all of them to me and I'll get them put in as soon as it preheats to 350!

Steffen, Zeek and shaneadams90 like this.
  16. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

I am absolutely uneducated when it comes to anything other than 1095, but realize there are a lot of folks out there that like and want other material. I'm looking forward to testing and trying out the new stuff and who knows, I might be a convert someday.

17. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

We do plan to expand our offerings but we had to draw a line somewhere simply to manage the release of so many new SKUs.... We are releasing close to 30 new SKUs at SHOT and that can be hard on dealers, manufacturing, and our customers in creating marketing confusion and really trying to figure out what will sell.

As we get a feel for how the market receives these changes we will know more and you will see new models offered as we move forward.

18. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

the #1 customer request I hear dealing directly with our customer base is "Steel Options".....So we are sticking our neck out a bit to test this market. @Dougmau is right, these will be more expensive for certain so we will see what the market will bear on this.

It make take a few tries to find what works for us and our customer base. I do feel like there is room in the market for a premium level ESEE knife that features a premium stainless steel and contoured scales....but the market will let us know if we are right or not.

19. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Being a mature company, I don't blame you guys for being hesitant to release something so drastically foreign to your current niche market. I think (and certainly hope) that you guys will find that there's room in the market for a premium line from you guys. Hell, companies like Carothers, SURVIVE, Busse and Strider sell premium steel fixed blades at 4-5 times your current product cost. I think if you land somewhere in the middle with pricing, you'll find success.

Are you able to shed any light on the specs of the steel? I see the promo-picture has S35VN etched into the blade, so that's no surprise. But what hardness are you guys going with? Who's doing the heat treat for you? Just out of curiosity, of course.

Also, were the mystery test -4's all S35 at different levels of hardness or were they different steel's entirely?

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  20. Jeff Randall

Hardness will be around 60. Some company out of California is doing the heat treat. Same ones who do our 440C.

Vinton and Strigidae like this.