Super Redhawk Woes

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by shivermetimbers, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Mudman

Mudman Member

Ruger hates it when people use reloads in their revolvers. I forgot who I spoke to many years ago about it, the person repeatedly said they don't recommend reloads- or anything from the manufactures that produce hot loads like grizzly.

I haven't reloaded for mines yet, but I love the SRH, not the prettiest out there, but excellent for the price imo.

Zeek likes this.
  2. Black5

Black5 Member

Funny. I think it was Lyman(?) that had a handloading page strictly for Ruger. Of course, that was twenty odd years ago.

No manufacturer I know I f will recommend handloads for a production gun in common caliber. Lawyers and all.

Mudman and Zeek like this.
  3. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

To cover their butts I would assume. We’ve all seen the vids of revolvers blowing up or the pic of the one with the upper half of the gun missing from a double charge. Or the big lawsuit between Glock and Cabelas over the exploding 10mm.
    3EEA6C47-47AD-4369-BAB4-40635D18BEFD.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Ballenxj and Black5 like this.
  4. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

I just rolled back into town this morning. I haven't had much time to dive into this, but will tonight. I'll post up a final verdict later.
    Invoice.jpeg
    Target.jpeg

Ballenxj, Strigidae, Mudman and 3 others like this.
  5. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

And it's funny that the Rugers are known as the perfect guns to reload for, due to their beefy build quality.
    Not sure about Lyman, but I know for a fact that Speer did. :cool:

Mudman likes this.
  6. Hammer

Hammer Member

This. All manufacturers use the CYA statement that they don't recommend handloads. It doesn't mean that Rugers can't actually handle them, by any means.

7. Mudman

Mudman Member

Absolutely, they are just covering their asses from the knuckleheads out there.

Zeek likes this.
  8. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

And the ambulance chasers in particular. :(

Black5 likes this.
  9. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

A quick revisit. I’m sorry if I kept everyone hanging. I have one too many hobbies and have a habit of indulging some while others are set aside. I stay busy, that’s for sure.

I took this gun completely apart to clean and lube with my stuff, I’m silly like that I guess. They stated that they cleaned and lubed. Weapon was dirty and lubed with, I dunno what.

I can tell they did some work on it, tolerances are different that what I remembered. I’m a big fan on Ballistol. I gave it the treatment and put a small amount of grease on the sear. Things feel right, smooth and trigger breaks clean without a gritty feel. Things should wear minimally and continue to smooth out under normal use.

They shot lead rounds through it for testing, LRN. I didn’t see any signs of leading. Barrel was pretty dirty. The rounds they used, appear to be made specifically for gun manufacturers and not for the general population. Minimal information on it.

I have every sense of using a Lyman 429421 mold to produce LSWC Keith Bullets. Looking at snagging a RCBS 244-250 SWC, on the hook for a vintage one. I have since accumulated a “surplus” of Lead, Tin, Linotype and Antimony.

The gun was originally designed using those rounds (LSWC) under Hercules 2400, now Alliant, and Unique for the sub magnum rounds. Just because it’s a magnum, doesn’t mean I need to push it at magnum pressures and velocities all the time, the beauty of owning one.

One thing I can tell right away. The cylinder throats will have to be reamed. The throats are still every which way. Ruger was informed about this. I don’t want my bullets sized down before they get to the forcing cone.

More to follow as I have time.
    CA014DB0-9094-4418-BA15-994DFB4B8756.jpeg

Strigidae likes this.
  10. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

It would seem you have done everything they should have done in the first place, and for sure the second time around. :mad:
    I miss Bill Rugers presence.

olywa likes this.