Need honest opinion about Esee knives.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iain, Nov 30, 2019.

?

What Esee knife would you use if you were me?

1. Don't bother with Esee brand

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Use Esee MH

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Use Esee none MH

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Over achiever ^^^^^^^^.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  2. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

:D Well... Lol

shaneadams90 likes this.
  3. Iain

Iain Member

Oh err my right hand (good hand) was cut in half, losing a finger, my fingers do not work properly because of the damage done to my right hand, my hand only has a working index finger and thumb, 2 fingers fused but ... no knuckle, they just kinda stuck them back.

So a thicker handle is needed.

4. Iain

Iain Member

I thank you very very much for the effort and time it took to make this, the handle of the knife however looks to thin for my right, Esee knifes has gone beyond what most companies would do, absolute brilliant service.

Unfortunately I don't think the handle would work for me, if my hand's were not so banged up, I would be jumping at this knife.

Sadly It won't work, but once again I thank you for the time and effort you have put into this.

5. Theo

Theo Member

I have no pics for you but need more of the story. Curiosity got the better of me. Are you homeless living in the desert by choice? What the hell happened to your hands?

6. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

........ I can do an easy visual representation of 12inches but it really isn't family friendly.... :D

Zeek, Drew RedBear, STPNWLF and 3 others like this.
  7. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

If 6-8 inches is what you’re looking for then you have 3 options in the ESEE line up. The ESEE 6 the ESEE 6HM or the ESEE Junglas II. I can’t speak from experience with the ESEE 6HM since I don’t own one but the ESEE 6 I do own and the handle is decently thick and blocky and weighs about 12oz. The Junglas II I own and I would say in my humble opinion is one of the most versatile knives I own. It can do pretty much everything well. It’s long and heavy enough to be a good chopper but ergonomically and balanced enough to do fine tasks as well. The Junglas handles for my hand (xl hands) are pretty much perfect. Not to thick not to thin and plenty of length for different grips depending on what you’re doing with it. It can act like a machete or carve like an ESEE 6. It’s just over 8 inches long and weighs 1 pond 3.8 ounces so it is a little heavy but with the superb kydex sheath and nylon belt attachment it comes with you would be surprised on how light it feels on the belt. The Junglas was designed for the special operations police that take on the fight against drugs in the jungles of South America so if they can trek for miles through a jungle with it I think it might suit your situation.

Drew RedBear, STPNWLF and Strigidae like this.
  8. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

@lain here's some more pics for you
    Top to bottom
    Izula with TKC scales
    ESEE 4
    ESEE 6HM
    Junglas II
    IMG_20191201_100212.jpg
    IMG_20191201_100148.jpg

Zeek, Strigidae and Drew RedBear like this.
  9. Iain

Iain Member

I know the problem all to well, There is snow on the ground, and it is the snow is
    Damaged my hands in an airplane accident, and I been homeless by choice now for about 4 years and 5 months, I been homeless for about 5 years.

I became homeless when my business failed in the UK and had to return back to the USA.

10. Iain

Iain Member

Thanks so much for the upload, time and effort to do this, the handles however do not match my hands, this is nothing against Esee nives.
    Just part of life.

My right and left hands and fingers can only close to a certain amount of degree, due to the damage, wish I could post what the handle on my new knife looks like on here, but it is not an Esee knife.

unfortunately both the standard handles and the MH handles do not work for me, it is the shape of the handles that is the problem, and the way my hands are limited to holding things.

I appreciate all the kindness people have shown on here, but Esee knives in both variants will not work.

STPNWLF likes this.
  11. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Your welcome/not a problem
    And you can post a picture of your knife here even if it's not an ESEE to give us an idea of what does work for you.

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  12. Iain

Iain Member

Thank you I will do that, when It become's day light.

13. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

What knives have worked for you in the past? Someone with more knowledge than myself may be able to steer you in the right direction for a new knife.

Strigidae likes this.
  14. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

This. I would go with what has worked in the past, regardless of brand. As much as we would like for you to buy an ESEE knife, it may not be the right fit for you. In today's world just about any of the larger manufacturers of factory knives make good products with good heat treats, so it's really hard to go wrong whoever you buy from.

STPNWLF likes this.
  15. Iain

Iain Member

Well since I been homeless the options have not been great.

The Scrade 36 frontier the old 1.

I was able to hold that in my right hand, although the Jimping was murder on my hand and the rubber type coating on the handle, don't get me wrong, it is 1 very tough knife.

I had a Gerber SB , but to be honest, it was a great knife, just I had problems holding it to do tasks, I gave it away to someone who needed it more than I did.

last summer I worked construction and earned my self enough money to buy new equipment, the good stuff , not the mediocre stuff I been dealing with for nearly 4 years, so here I am talking to you guys.

I bought a Tops Tom brown Tracker 1, the sales gave it to me, I put it in my hand and could not believe the difference, the handle was, smooth , cool , and comfortable. and I could even hold it in my left hand with making any pain what so ever, and can do even chopping with it, with my left hand.

The handle is shorter in height to my Schrade 36 but it wider, also more box like, but with smooth corners.

I never in my life thought I would spend $280 on a knife, but to be honest, it was what I needed, more so something like the Tom Brown Tracker 1 but with a straight edge.

Ever since I bought that knife, I realised for me to keep on surviving in the AZ desert and mountains, I need the good stuff, after a load of you tube vids on Esee knives, I contacted this forum.

It is still dark where I am at, ill post something on youtube.

My nickname on youtube is Bushtrash

I have a vid showing my hands, abet I don't make a big deal about them..

My vids are crap just skip to 2:42

16. Iain

Iain Member

I would do that but to be truthful, none of the knives I have had in the past have really worked for me, it was more of putting up with what I got, now I tasted something good I want more, maybe Esee will bring out a different handle, I'm not sure if needed, but why not ?

17. Iain

Iain Member

Made a vid , will take me 3 hours to upload, to the annoyance of the people I'm staying with, so to keep this cool, ill upload when everyone is asleep.

18. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

You may be in luck with what we have coming out the first part of next year ;)

19. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Wait what?? Ooh!

20. IW17

IW17 Member

I hope it's an Esee take on the Bubba blade.

Zeek and DiscoveryLover like this.