What's inside an ejection seat survival kit? (with pics)

Discussion in '5Col' started by 5col, Nov 20, 2019.

1. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

Great news, everyone! I was able to get a military surplus Rigid Seat Survival Kit, Cold Climate. There are a handful of pics below, with a bunch more in a new blog post on our site.

The kit I got is nearly complete. It's definitely missing a poncho and vacuum-sealed arctic sleeping bag, and there are indications some other items have disappeared as well. Originally assembled in the late 1980s, it appears this kit was maintained until at least 2006. Or at least that's when the IFAK expired. It includes rations, shelter components, a folding utility knife, a bunch of fire starting gear, tools (including a cool saw/knife/shovel combination tool I've never seen before) and more.

I plan to make followup posts to the main blog post where I go through the fishing kit, IFAK, and GP Rations.

To see more of the kit and its contents, you can check out the full blog post here: https://5col.com/blogs/survival-nerd/whats-inside-rigid-seat-survival-kit-rssk-cold-climate

IMG_0486.JPG
    Showing the kit's contents, with the mosquito head net on top. No mosquito mittens were included in the kit, but the pilot probably was wearing nomex gloves, so he'll be ok.

IMG_0531.JPG
    (the banana isn't part of the kit, it's just there to indicate scale)

IMG_0478.JPG
    You can see the combination tool parts in the bottom of the kit, in this pic. It's an interesting tool. I've never seen one like this before.

C99c, Kevo, Creaky Bones and 5 others like this.
  2. Kevo

Kevo Member

Awesome piece of gear history right there.

I also appreciate that the banana has become the standard measure for scale.

5col and Strigidae like this.
  3. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

Thanks! Not my idea, but it sure is effective.

Strigidae likes this.