Epic battle: Izula vs Izula 2

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Strigidae, Feb 21, 2018.

?

Which Izula reigns supreme?

1. Izula

48.2%
  2. Izula 2

51.8%
  1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

2. stjohn45

stjohn45 Member

That's it! Was getting ready to do a google reverse image search. I've been looking for something like that when I go out on short treks and didn't want to haul a daypack or ruck. Guess I'll bite the bullet and order one. They make good kit. Just had never seen the chest rig. Thanks!

Steve

Strigidae likes this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

You wont be disappointed for sure. Great bags and great folks to be around.

shaneadams90 and stjohn45 like this.
  4. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

I see Strig linked you..... the HPG Original V2.....if you want it in a little more mission capable look at the SAR Kitbag....essentially the same bag but with the diagonal Molle panel makes attaching a knife/radio/tactical cup holder/whatever to the front easier and more handy....comes in cool colors too and the 6/12 panel on the inside is a nice touch for organization.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/94

Strigidae and stjohn45 like this.
  5. stjohn45

stjohn45 Member

Thanks for the info! I just ordered the V2 Kit Bag in Ranger Green. I liked the SAR Kit, especially the front molle loops for the radio but they didn't have it in green. I wanted it in a color to match my LBT stuff. (All Ranger Green). I'll post some pictures and my thoughts on it after I get it in and run it a few months.

Steve

shaneadams90 likes this.
  6. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

hard to beat them...I use either the V2, SAR, and Heavy Recon depending on the mission/class/trip....all great options and I really like to support this company.

67487243_10218177880232673_6922133013539061760_o.jpg 56931805_2265635373651107_6826897598423498752_o.jpg 70255698_2373649979516312_9127264339651198976_n.jpg

Strigidae and stjohn45 like this.
  7. stjohn45

stjohn45 Member

I'll give this kit bag a good workout and see how it goes. I'm pretty rough on stuff. Guess that's the grunt mentality carrying over from my service days. That's why I love LBT & Kifaru stuff. Expensive, but how much would you pay if your life depended on it and no chance of fixing or replacement is available. Great pictures, btw! I love a company that walks the walk and leads by example.

Steve

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I firmly prefer the II if there is knife work to be done....the handle makes all the difference. If I am carrying for the "in case" need then a Izula with no scales will work for me.

stjohn45 and Strigidae like this.
  9. stjohn45

stjohn45 Member

I have an Izula II I use and I do like the handle but the Izula fits in my cargo pocket perfectly. And I've carried it there so long I kinda feel lost without it. 1095 is my favorite steel, hands down. Easy to sharpen, keeps an edge and is pretty much indestructible.

Steve

10. Bozho

Bozho Member

I have only had the regular one, but the handle was too short for me.
    I would love to try a "2" and it will be one of my next knife purchases.

stjohn45 likes this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

12. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

I like the Izula II by far the most because that added 1/2" just makes it more like a real knife when you use it.

I just carry a regular Izula almost everyday.

stjohn45 likes this.
  13. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

And that is what makes it my favorite. I have ESEE's of all shapes and sizes but the Izula sits in my pocket every day. If I have a specific task in mind then I grab one appropriate but the Izula is the right combination of size and toughness to make it my pocket partner, probably never edc a folder again.

Bozho likes this.
  14. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

I carry an Isula II with scales in my pocket daily. No big deal. I have thought about getting the regular Isula, but have not felt the urge strong enough, as my II seems to be just right for pocket. :cool:

15. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I would have to say Izula hands down for me... The compact size offers more comfortable carry options. The ½" difference in length doesnt seem like much but for neck carry it really does make a big difference to me. The fact that it comes in stainless steel is also a big thing for me. I think the stainless izula is by far one of the best EDC knives on the market. And now with the release of the TKC extended izula scales, you can carry an extra set and transform it into an izula 2 when that extra handle length is important... 20191027_164032.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Stray Round and Strigidae like this.
  16. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

Here is a picture of my Izula sitting in the pliers pocket of my overalls. You can barely see the bump made by the G-10 scales. I can get it out quickly with or without the sheath attached. I have never had it fall out of the pocket, hanging upside down or running it stays put.
    IMG_1597.JPG

Ballenxj and Strigidae like this.