What's your favorite ESEE for bushcraft? Laser Strike?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Bushcraft_Dave, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

I have the 6, 3, 4, Junglas and I used to have the RB3. For whatever reason, I still gravitated to my Mora or LT Wright knives for bushcraft- for things like making traps, carving, feathersticks, etc... The 3, 4, Izula, and RB3 can do all those things, but I still liked the Mora and LT's better for those purposes.

I'm thinking the Laser Strike might be the ticket. Let me know, thanks!

Edit:
    I haven't used the Izula 2 lately. I sold it to a buddy and he asked me to sharpen it for him and I took the opportunity to test it out again and it rocks at making knotches for traps!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The cr 2.5 has been my go to for a little while now for carving and detail work.

3. Katahdin

Katahdin Member

For bushcraft I have used the RB3, ESEE 3, 5, 6, izula, laser strike, Mora kansbol, garberg, SAK farmer, and benchmade bushcrafter.

For general tasks or a one knife solution the Esee 6, laser strike, garberg, or bushcrafter would do well and I would pick the grind for the task I'm most likely to be doing.

For specific tasks like traps and food processing the SAK farmer, RB3 , Esee 3, or Izula shine.

The kansbol can do it all with its blade design but may not be the most robust. It is a cheap enough knife to loan to a newbie or to always keep in a pack/vehicle that if lost its not a big deal.

The Esee 5 is good for digging fatwood out of stumps, batoning firewood if you have no axe, and to keep in your vehicle "just in case" there is an emergency.

I really like all of the knives listed above, but for the knife most likely to be found on my hip it is going to be the benchmade bushcrafter, laser strike, or garberg. Everything else usually ends up in a pack.

4. Katahdin

Katahdin Member

I should also note my ESEE 5,6, and laser strike are setup with other survival items attached to the sheath so it's more of survival system. The benchmade bushcrafter and garberg only have a ferro rod attaced.

Out of the ESEE knives my favorite is the laser strike and I am currently waiting for the PR4 to be released! That may be the best bushcraft knife to hit the market in a while for the price.

5. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

I would say it depends on why you don't like using your 4 or 6. If it is the handles then the LS is worth a try, as the handle is definitely more comfortable on the LS. If it's the way they cut or the grind, I wouldn't bother getting the LS. It's very similar to the 6 and 4, certainly similar enough that you won't love one and not use the others.

nofuss and Bushcraft_Dave like this.
  6. Redbear

Redbear Member

For bushcraft I'd go with the 3 or 4, the 3 for finer details. I personally don't like the LS, it just felt weird cutting.

Vinton and Bushcraft_Dave like this.
  7. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Esee 6 and my Mora black. I had a RB3 for a while but sold it a while back. Still lwaiting be my Esee 6.

My incoming Junglas-2 might dethrone the 6. We will have to see.

nofuss and Bushcraft_Dave like this.
  8. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

The Izzy 2 rocks I need to buy another one. The ESEE 6 is my go to survival/bugout/large bushcraft blade. Most ESEEs are broad which I think is great for the life of the blade: lots more steel after many resharpenings or reprofiling. But it kinda makes it harder to make some of the smaller knotches.

The RB3 is great but imho a bit too thick. I forgot how great the Izula 2 was and glad I had the chance to use it again. I think the new PR3 will be the winner. I can't wait!

9. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

This thread needs some photos. My DT LS. IMG_3683.JPG IMG_3684.JPG IMG_3685.JPG

10. NT Tristan

NT Tristan Member

The 3 is my most carried, and most reached-for. Small and light weight makes it easy to carry, and its thinness makes it a great performer all round 20170831_212420.jpg

11. Garrett83

Garrett83 Member

I love my ESEE 4,Junglas and Izula but I think my collection is in need of an ESEE 3..the main reason I bought the Izula was because I was expecting it to be thinner than my ESEE 4,surprisingly,that little guy is just as thick as my 4...I’ve never even held an ESEE 3 but I think it will be my overall favorite ESEE knife...the thinner blade will make it a better knife for precision work than my other ESEE knives

Vinton likes this.
  12. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Member

My ESEE4 with TKC handles is my favorite outdoors use knife.

Vinton likes this.
  13. Marty W

Marty W Member

If I had to pick one, I like the 4-HM

Vinton and TWBryan like this.
  14. TWBryan

TWBryan Member

Izula,I have esee 4 tricked out that I plan on dumping,just can't stand the choil.

15. olywa

olywa Member

More often than not it's the PR4 that I reach for.

TWBryan likes this.
  16. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Laserstrike is hands down my most used Esee from food prep to fire prep, cleaning game, chopping trees 4” and smaller. I’ve had an Izzy, 3’s, a 5, a 6, laserstrikes and a Junglas and now I’ve got the two Laserstrikes, the 5 and Junglas and feel those cover all my needs with a little overlap.

TWBryan and Marty W like this.
  17. Lobo

Lobo Member

I am really wanting to pull the trigger & get a PR4 to try, but as of now, my go to “Bushcraft” ESEE is my Laser Strike for my main blade & my HEST for edc or smaller tasks.
    9622A5D1-6D91-4DEC-9D07-581FC665B468.jpeg 6017B2DE-F6B2-45DD-8596-93CE59FA6DD0.jpeg C6545F17-DCC8-48CF-BB08-964E42B345AF.jpeg

I have put a little survival kit in the handle of my HEST to include a needle, a small ferro rod, fishing/snare line, fishhooks, fire starter, utility blades & a small trout lure.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Strigidae and The Marsh Gorilla like this.