Headlamps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevo, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Kevo

Kevo Member

So I've been running a Manker E03 for about a year now, and the switch is starting to fart out on me. That means I get to start shopping for a new lamp! I very curious to hear what you all are using out in the woods. Use case is going to everything from winter shovelling to SAR work and summer camping. I'm not married to any brand, but definitely need it to be completely weatherproof, and I'd prefer if it ran on 18650's so that I only need to carry one type of spare battery. I'd also prioritize run time and comfort well before insane brightness. Help!

Kaw-liga and Zeek like this.
  2. Kevo

Kevo Member

I've been reading a bunch and I'm confused as ever. So far a couple streamlight options are in the lead. I have training tomorrow so I'll be polling some of the guys and gals on the team.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  3. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Fenix HL60R for an 18650 light hands down, without a doubt.

I keep my SAR lights running AA's.

Kaw-liga and Kevo like this.
  4. Kevo

Kevo Member

I'll check that one out for sure. What's the thinking with AA on the headlamp? Weight saving?

5. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

The only headlamp I've owned and used is a Fenix HL60R. It's a rechargeable LED headlamp. I really enjoy it. The body is o-ring sealed (IPX8 rated) and I never run it on the higher settings. I use the 50 lumen setting which lists a 29 hr runtime. But it has settings for high or turbo listed as 400 or 950, respectively, at the expense of battery life. Mine came with one 18650 but two CR123's can be used as well. My main uses for it are kayaking and primative camping. It's a little pricey in my book but it's been a reliable, rugged, and solid performer. Good luck with your search.

Here it is among some other gear that I had stowed away and then rediscovered in one of my gear bags. It was like Christmas that day. :D

Edit: lol! @Reno Lewis took the words out of my mouth. He must've posted while I was pecking slowly on my keys.
    IMG_20190218_183409_742.jpg

Mike Smith, Reno Lewis and Kevo like this.
  6. Reno Lewis

Easy replacement in the field. Everybody carries AA's, doesn't matter if I get air dropped with members from another squad on the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere, someone has AA's.

7. Kevo

Kevo Member

Bushman5 likes this.
  8. Kevo

Kevo Member

Alright guys, I went with the Fenix HL60R! I chatted with their warranty manager and he was extremely informative. Also just an fyi for you guys, I asked if they offered first responder discounts with a gov ID and was given a code for 30% off the total. So it ended being a great deal! Of course I just used that discount to splurge on batteries and a case.

Strigidae and Kaw-liga like this.
  9. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

No kiddin'? That's a nice discount. I'll be checking with them to see if they do the same for DoD. Thanks Kevo!

Kevo likes this.
  10. Kevo

Kevo Member

I'd almost guarantee they will. He said they don't have a set policy on it so I'm sure they'll be passing out more codes to anyone that asks.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I run a AceBeam H30 with the IMR 21700 - 5100 mAh li-ions (20 amps) . The are same length as the 18650's but fatter with much more capacity .

red led mode, green led mode, low, med, high, turbo, ultra-turbo (4000 lumens). Waterproof USB-C charging port. Spare batts dont weigh that much and are compatible with my AceBeam L30 v2 searchlight.

IMG_8153.jpg IMG_8154.jpg IMG_8157.jpg IMG_8162.jpg IMG_8164.jpg IMG_8166.jpg IMG_8177.jpg

Mike Smith, Kaw-liga and Kevo like this.
  12. Kevo

Kevo Member

@Bushman5 the charging port placement on that lamp is genius!

Kaw-liga and Bushman5 like this.
  13. goon

goon Member

What AA headlamp do you use? I’ve needed a lamp for awhile, but I also need a starting point to avoid buying junk. Research on my own ends up being overwhelming. Like you say - AA’s are available everywhere, so I’d like to start there.

Reno Lewis and Kevo like this.
  14. Reno Lewis

I've had an older style Black Diamond Icon (4x AA) on my helmet for four years (2014 model I think), and I've been fairly happy with it. Unfortunately not digitally regulated, so it starts to dim when the batteries get low, which is my only complaint. Otherwise, I've been very happy with the overall run times (I've never had to change cells in the field).

With that said, I am looking to upgrade, but perhaps just to the newer model Icon, as I haven't found anything quite on par for my uses without switching to 18650 primaries.

For general task lighting/around the house/in a day pack etc, I've been really happy with my Fenix HM23 (1x AA), running an Eneloop Pro primary. Light, small, durable, good run times, and easy enough to carry a couple of spare cells.