Small chips and edge rolls on my new ESEE 6?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Twiztedmind, May 7, 2019.

1. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

Just an update on this one. We did replace it so you would have a knife quicker. But the knife tested out right at RC 57 where it is supposed to be. I'd say there was something you hit that you didn't realize.
    Mike

2. matthew

matthew Member

@Mike Perrin what do you do with knives that come back like this one?

Garrett83 likes this.
  3. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

Although not impossible I can’t really think what it could have been I unknowingly hit. I cut the small trees a good 2-3”s above the ground and the only thing remotely close to what I was cutting was my wooden fence. Either way I appreciate your customer service. Thank you.

Garrett83, mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Garrett83 and junglebum like this.
  5. patrickknight

patrickknight Member

I for one am really happy to see the target hardness is 57. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt it used to be 56?

6. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

I have had similar issues with various ESEE knives.

Mike and Jeff replaces the first one and told me that they could t find anything wrong with the knife or steel. Operator error.

So now when the steel mysteriously rolls or chips I just sharpen it out and keep going.

I have other knives that this doesn’t happen to, but honestly, geometry plays a big part in how tough the edge is.

7. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

I used the new replacement esee 6 to cut down the same kind of trees same thickness and very close to the others I cut and it performed perfectly no issues at all.

Garrett83 likes this.
  8. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Yeah I totally hear you man.

Thing is, if they did have a heat treat issue and admitted it publicly, every single person that could take advantage of the warranty would be, even if it wasn’t the case with their knife.

Know what I mean?

I have no doubt your knife had an issue.

Garrett83 likes this.
  9. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

True. I’m just grateful they do stand behind their product and replaced it. Regardless what the cause was.

Garrett83 and Se7eN like this.
  10. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

That’s what is cool about Jeff/Mike and their team. Everyone gets taken care of.

I’ve been a customer for over ten years and always will be. More so because of their values and virtues than anything else.

Kevo and Twiztedmind like this.
  11. Garrett83

Garrett83 Member

I’m new here and a new to ESEE Knives as well..just bought my first ESEE knife(Junglas) a couple weeks ago and was so happy with the knife I received,I immediately ordered the ESEE 4 which just came in Friday..I’m currently trying to decide between the Izula,Izula 2 or the Candiru,come Wednesday I’m gonna order one of the 3..I’ve heard nothing but great things about ESEE knives and their warranty but after reading this post,it makes me an even prouder ESEE knife owner than I already was..I tip my hat to Jeff and his team for running such an awesome company..there isn’t a company out there that I would rather spend my money with.in this day and age customer service like this is extremely rare

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    scout1sg, joe27, Josh and 2 others like this.