4th gen v8 4Runner or 5th gen trail or trd pro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Twiztedmind, Sep 13, 2019.

1. C99c

C99c Member

I'd keep the 4th Gen. Add a 5th Gen if you want, but keep the 4th Gen.

In listening to/reading interviews with and personally talking to folks who worked for Toyota from the mid '90s up until a few years ago I think it's actually impressive that we got a V8 in a 4runner at all. After all, they are known for being very conservative. That's one of the big drivers behind the "legendary" reliability of Toyota. They find a formula that works, don't push the limit when it comes to HP or torque and if people buy it they buy it. If they don't, they don't.

I've always liked the 3rd Gen 4runners, but have really grown fond of the 4th Gens. They need a couple inches of lift to really be dialed in, but that's inexpensive and easy to do.

I've posted a podcast here somewhere with a guy who used to run Toyota TRD and other special projects. Other than the irritating hosts it's a good insight into just how conservative the company is/was.

JV3 and Twiztedmind like this.
  2. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

Heres those pictures I promised.

Attached Files:

Datilite, JV3, Strigidae and 2 others like this.
  3. Bozho

Bozho Member

That's a great car! Too bad they were not officially imported here. We can get them 2nd hand, but parts need to be ordered from the US, which is not always bad, given how many fake parts circulate the marked here, but their price really jumps up after VAT and postal taxes.
    It looks like a better price / performance option of a LC Prado.

Twiztedmind likes this.
  4. Chuy

Chuy Member

I would recommend checking out a GX470 or a Land Cruiser like a 100 series or newer. They are the next step up from a 4 Runner, the GX uses the same 4runner frame but has a V8 smoother ride, better build, rear a/c etc, etc, etc. The Land Cruisers have everything and more including worse mpg's. I would keep what you have it's an awesome ride. I sold my 80 series land cruiser with 250k miles and it's still on the road 10 years later doing overland trips around the country. IMHO Toyota miles are not normal car miles with minimal maintenance.

[​IMG]

JV3, Twiztedmind and Strigidae like this.