New Izula 2 Question

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Colby Litzenberger, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Colby Litzenberger

Colby Litzenberger Member

Hi Guys - I got my new Izula 2 today and am super excited to use it this weekend! I had never held one before but it fits my hand great. It came pretty sharp although not the scary sharp that I seem to hear so much about.

As I was inspecting it I noticed that the grind near the choil rides a bit higher into the coating, this only occurs one side. At first I thought its purely cosmetic and chalked it up to it being done by a human. However I decided to see if affected the actual shape of the cutting surface. If I set it on a flat surface I can see daylight under where that high grind point occurred. Is this normal or an error? Will it affect my ability to sharpen that portion of the knife? I am just getting into sharpening so I am not a pro by any means. If this is normal then I won't worry about it but figured I should check before I put the knife to use.
    upload_2019-9-19_18-11-13.png upload_2019-9-19_18-10-42.png

Zeek likes this.
  2. Colby Litzenberger

I just realized this got posted in counterfeits and fakes which was not the intent. Bought from Knifeworks so no issue there. I cant figure out how to move it but if a moderator could move it to the appropriate section that would be great!

Zeek likes this.
  3. erik

erik Member

no functional problem - and won't cause any kind of hiccup when sharpening, either.

4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I think that is a byproduct of the hand grinding and hand sharpening but I'm no expert. Ive seen it on my izulas before and usually sharpen it out when it gets dull.

5. Josh

Josh Member

That is common on new knives. The grind always seems to be off slightly at best near the handle. Some knives that last bit is really rough. From the photo it doesn’t appear to be bad at all.

The sharpening choil lesson it. Hold a stead angle as you sharpen and it will eventually be worked out.

Ya sharpening is a skill. It takes practice. I am not
    Good at it. Ok. But not good. I got a Lansky and my brother has a Wicked Edge. They help a lot.

I’d say no worries on that knife. Have fun.

6. Colby Litzenberger

Thanks for the replies everyone. From looking at pictures of other Izulas online it appears, just as you have said, that this is pretty normal. Just figured I'd check. I'll work on gradually taking it down over time. Super excited to finally get the Izula. I've been eyeing it for going on six years... Thanks all!

Strigidae likes this.
  7. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Member

Happens to a lot of knives when the final edge is put on. The Izula has a bit of an undersized sharpening choil, which probably explains why it's commonly seen on this particular knife.

It's just a tiny bit of recurve. It won't hurt anything at all. I wouldn't think twice about it.

EDIT: saw after I typed this that it had pretty much already been resolved. Guess my reply was unnecessary.