Izula Pro

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by winternews, Sep 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. winternews

winternews Member

Looking at some of the 3 most common mods for the Izula, I’m curious if ESEE would ever include them all together in a production run, something like an ‘Izula Pro.’ I’m talking:

Squared off spine
    Uncoated blade
    Thinner stock— no prying, batoning, etc (or at least a thinned out edge)
    And maybe a somewhat larger handle

I’ve carried my Izzy II for a year now, guiding, camping, etc., and I think all these changes are worth the tradeoffs for a lot of people. I realize there’s the ESEE 3 HM and CR 2.5 that have some of the aspects above, but the Izula still occupies a sweet spot between them, especially in terms of light weight and a good shape for skinning. Anyway, I’m curious to hear who else wants to see something like this (or who else makes it if it’s already out there).

2. olywa

olywa Member

I could dig that. But in the meantime, take a look at the LT Wright Next Gen. A2 or AEBL steel, 1/8" thick, saber or FFG grind. There's even a few 3/32" ones out in the online wilds.

3. AK1013

AK1013 Member

I’d like that. Same thickness as the 3, ground spine Izula 2 handle

4. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

I want Izula that is 2.5mm thick, slicer please.....

Zeek, CWB, Kaw-liga and 1 other person like this.
  5. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

+1, you had me at thinner stock. But uncoated and a 90° spine would be icing on the cake.

6. Cut it out

Cut it out Member

Interesting idea for sure.

7. Anders Bach

Anders Bach Member

Pretty easy mod to make though ;)

8. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

I would be happy with keeping the stock the same, but uncoated, with a square spine, and a thinner edge.
    I love my Izzy, but especially without handle scales, i feel like the edge feels to thick for the k knife.
    I do have some scales coming in, maybe that will change things, and i bet the izzy 2 with scales is better yet!

9. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Member

A thinner, uncoated Izula 2 would be excellent! I'll add in another ideal feature for me: a steel with more corrosion resistance and better edge retention. For me, a small knife gets carried close to the body and used on food or fish (so stainless is a plus) and, since there isn't very much cutting edge to begin with, I like the short amount of cutting edge to stay sharper longer.

I won't rehash what I just typed in the AGK thread, but it's essentially the same reasons.

Eric Kendrick and olywa like this.
  10. Bozho

Bozho Member

Izula 2, 440 C, orange G10 and ground a bit thinner :cool:

11. winternews

winternews Member

Yeah! I like this wishlist, and I like the evolution of the Izula into its present versions (Izula 2, stainless, Imlay, etc). Agreed, stripping the coating and 90 spine are easy mods, and the thick stock makes sense sans scales, but a dedicated thinner version of the Izula would be rad — just as the Imlay offers a thoughtful purpose built version for paddlers. Plus then everybody gets to buy another knife!

CoolBreeze135 likes this.
  12. patrickknight

patrickknight Member

I always wondered why the Izula was thicker than the 3.

Garrett83 likes this.
  13. Garrett83

Garrett83 Member

I would love a thinner blade Izula..don’t get me wrong,I love my Izula but it turned out to be a bit thicker than I had expected and hoped for...I guess I should’ve done my research before buying.I bought my Izula for my outdoor gear bag..I have the Junglas,ESEE 4 and Izula all on my gear back..I’m not considering buying the ESEE 3 to go in place of the Izula.I bought the Izula because I thought it would have a thinner blade and would be a much better slicer than the ESEE 4...I think I will get the ESEE 3 and start cycling my Izula in my EDC gear..my Izula is to beautiful to stay on my bag anyway