A gem of a canyon

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Jeff Randall, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

We were invited back to North Carolina this past weekend to run a hidden gem of a canyon - not only for the fun but for the training value for the eventual rescue(s) that will happen due to the increase of visitors to the area. The canyon is in a fairly remote area with no real trails leading to it. Once in the watercourse, it drops pretty quickly and can be done with 5 raps (longest being about 100’), a little bit of “rhodo-neering” and a lot of rock-hopping over slippery Gneiss boulders. A beautiful and pristine area with no artificial anchors in place (yet). We had a fairly large group of SAR folks run it, taking us about 6 hours start to finish. Having run Bonas Defeat and other canyons in western NC area, I have to say this one has a bit more fun value than the others.

DSCN1569.JPG

DSCN1575.JPG

DSCN1591.JPG

DSCN1593.JPG

DSCN1617.JPG

DSCN1625.JPG

DSCN1626.JPG

DSCN1639.JPG

DSCN1661.JPG

DSCN1677.JPG

DSCN1684.JPG

DSCN1718.JPG

DSCN1724.JPG

DSCN1728.JPG

DSCN1731.JPG

DSCN1735.JPG

DSCN1758.JPG

DSCN1768.JPG

DSCN1773.JPG

DSCN1788.JPG

Bushman5, C99c, Adventurer and 9 others like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Do you change your footwear for wet rock versus dry? Change your gear at all?

Bushman5 and Trailmaster like this.
  3. Jeff Randall

https://icetrekkers.com

Best money you will ever spend for working on slick rock. I wore these on my Asolos and also had a pair of OR gaiters and my feet were never fully soaked even going in up to my knees, and the slip on traction gave great purchase.

Bushman5, C99c, mtngoat and 3 others like this.
  4. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

just a few more pics:

DSCF9030.JPG DSCF9034.JPG DSCF9050.JPG DSCF9055.JPG DSCF9061.JPG DSCF9065.JPG DSCF9066.JPG DSCF9069.JPG DSCF9070.JPG DSCF9073.JPG DSCF9075.JPG DSCF9080.JPG DSCF9107.JPG DSCF9111.JPG DSCF9128.JPG DSCF9116.JPG DSCF9139.JPG DSCF9159.JPG DSCF9171.JPG

Bushman5, C99c, Datilite and 8 others like this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The water photos are the absolute best!

6. Jeff Randall

Done a lot of trips in this area, and we all agreed that this was probably the best trip we've done. Place is absolutely beautiful and rugged. Pictures don't even get close to doing it justice.

7. shaneadams90

something that strikes me in these photos is the amount of smiles you see....

To add to what Jeff said....this was a TOUGH canyon....all 13 of us took a digger at some point....hard falls on slick rocks meant we all got beat up a bit....briars, thick Rhodo, cold water....and just generally tough terrain....I say all this, not as a complaint, but as a testament to the mindset of the people we are training with...

hard situations....yield hard people....and these folks WILLFULLY put themselves in the hardest situations they can in an effort to make themselves better so they can go SAVE others......its inspiring.

Bushman5, C99c, JV3 and 2 others like this.
  8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Now that does actually look like a fun day out !!

Jeff Randall and Strigidae like this.
  9. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

That is a pretty area Boss. I'm kinda jealous. I also noticed there's no abrasion sleeves or guards where your ropes are going over edges.....How is this addressed? Are is it that ropes are way better than they used to be?

10. shaneadams90

If we had been climbing on rope we would have used rope pro for sure....given that most of these rappels were semi-vertical walk downs and not a true over hang we elected not to use rope pads....plus that adds extra time in rigging and we had a large group and wanted to travel as efficiently as possible.

Ropes are a consumable item for us that we use up and retire more often that most....Jeff has also done extensive testing on some of our retired rope, even ropes with MAJOR damage, that performed well beyond our expectations.

C99c, Strigidae and anrkst6973 like this.
  11. Jeff Randall

Rope technology has come a long way as far as abrasion / cut resistance. We pretty much use Polyester ropes exclusively due to the very low stretch and the fact the fibers don't absorb water like Nylon, so it holds its same strength wet or dry. Our ropes of choice are 8.3mm Imlay Canyon Fire and 9mm Sterling HTP. The sheathing on the Canyon Fire is way more cut/abrasion resistant than the HTP since it's designed for canyon work. Of course, as Shane noted, we are constantly testing gear, checking gear after using it, etc.

12. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Good to hear you guys are vigilant about your stuff, it just a good habit to be in. Besides, with all that bacon and whiskey in your bloodstream one of you cats going splat would be....pollutionary and environmentally unsound. ;)

C99c, Strigidae and shaneadams90 like this.
  13. Jeff Randall

Yes, we take our safety seriously and always make Kevin Reeves test out any sketchy stuff before we try it.

C99c, erik, Trailmaster and 2 others like this.
  14. zefeng ruan

zefeng ruan Member

What's your go to footwear for this type for environment?

15. ASH

ASH Member

That was asked above.

16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Man I miss being on rope!

wether it’s 150’ up a big Douglas fir , blocking it down , or on rope on the canyons and mountains of bc