Made In America Series: Randall Made Knives

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 1, 2019.

1. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I will look into them.
    Do you shoot your LC Smith?

2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Probably better to find his wife after he dies. She’ll sell them for what he told her he paid for them :)

artigas, RocketmanDane and Bozho like this.
  3. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

Just spent a week up in Charlevoix and went to Walloon lake a few times. Love it up there.

4. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I got the book. Will read it on Bonaire next week.

You never replied about the LC Smith. Do you shoot it?

5. Josh

Josh Member

Nice, Really nice write up. I love Randall Made Knives. I got a 16 and a 1. I got the 16 when I was in the NG and thought I might get activated for Desert Shield/Storm. It never happened. But 2 of my life long friends got deployed to Iraq after the invasion at different times. I gave it to them. The first one got back gave me the knife back at a BBQ at the other guys house. He was having a going away party because he was getting deployed. I gave it to him to take. I am not sure if they used it, it stayed in a foot locker left it at home or what. But they both came home safe and sound.

I am into Ek Knives too. Here is a website I found about them. I have nothing to do with the website.

http://www.militarycarryknives.com/EKMAIN/EkMain.htm

There is a section on Gerber Mk2’s as well.

Very informative post. Thank you!

Kevin likes this.
  6. Expat

I could’ve sworn I did. But I don’t see it.

I shot it when I still had it but it was a fleeting fancy. A man of my caliber sits idly by, waiting for the day when a Holland and Holland passes by....

Strigidae likes this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

When I am rich (working on building my own sticker empire just now) I WILL visit H&H in London and be fitted for my double rifle :D I was trying to visit when I was working in the UK a few years ago but only time I got into London proper was outside their working hours, and my Met colleagues were more interested in showing me their favourite boozer than some "gun shop". A friend stopped in while there last year. He is very proud of the Holland and Holland branded cleaning cloth he has....noting it was the only product in the shop he was actually able to afford... ;)

Strigidae likes this.
  8. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I almost bought a Holland and Holland Royal about 20 years ago. It was in a gun shop in Charleston, SC. The guy brought it out in the case. It was embossed with the original owners military unit in India. I was drooling. The barrels had been chopped down to 25” and the wrist was a small diamond shape. The guy must have been a midget. It was off face, likely from some American shooting heavy duck loads in it. It was beautiful. I love the Acantheon engraving they use. They wanted 5k and it would have probably cost me twice that to get it working for me. I passed. I have never regretted getting the bespoke Spanish guns.

If I had won the lottery 20 years ago I would have had a pair made at Purdeys and spent my days shooting driven birds all over the world and kept the company of sporting women between drives...and kept my Randall knife collection.

9. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

D5D1C772-6C4A-48C8-ADC2-8BFFF4E8D784.jpeg
    I have a friend who has a Heym double rifle in .500 Nitro. I was impressed with it. He has killed an elephant and some buffalo with it. He lives in a trailer park in a fifth wheel, seems to have his priorities straight!

Yours truly shouldering it in his yard. It is a massive gun.

Sam likes this.
  10. Andy the Aussie

Heyms are not "uncommon" here, not common either but more often see than many double rifles, not generally in .500 however. I would like a double in .458Lott.....I will have one at some point.... :D

Strigidae likes this.
  11. Expat

It is comforting to know that there are a pair of fellow sophisticants here amidst all this common rabble.

Albeit one’s an Austrian with a questionable command of the Queen’s English, and one hasn’t worn shoes since Reagan’s first term.

Regardless, they know their thunder sticks.

Kevin, Delkancott and Strigidae like this.
  12. Expat

As an aside, we do have in our family, my great-grandfather’s cut down 16ga Fox Sterlingworth. It was used quite proficiently to defend himself from legions of the deadly bobwhite quail throughout the Palmetto State, coming up on about 100 years ago now.

Strigidae likes this.
  13. Andy the Aussie

The Heym 89B is probably what I would buy just after I won the lottery....to tide me over till my custom H&H was prepared.

14. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I think the Teutonic tendency to overbuild is much more acceptable on a double rifle than that of an elegant game gun used for the noble pursuit of wing-shooting. Were I a youth again I would have purchased a double in 9.3x74R, as they were much more reasonable at the time.

The Fox double was America’s finest mechanically. The 16 ga on the small frame was perfect. Once when I was an ardent pheasant hunter I considered commissioning Connecticut Arms build a high grade 16ga with 32” choked .007 & .021.

15. Expat

What do you think of Savage's most recent incarnation of the Fox? I saw one at SHOT but it was behind glass and unavailable for handling.

16. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Have not seen them. I did read that they were different mechanically. They look the same. I don’t know what I would purchase today. Getting a fitted gun was a big benefit for me.

17. troutfisher13111

troutfisher13111 Member

18. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

19. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

And the coolest sheath

Strigidae likes this.