Ashley Game Knife TX Hog hunt

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by shaneadams90, Aug 13, 2019.

1. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Not gonna lie....I love my job, but somedays are just better than others....

Recently @Patrick Rollins , Jackson (my oldest son) and I got to go to Childress TX to do a hog hunt with Ashley Emerson, designer of latest knife the ESEE Ashley Game Knife (ESEE-AGK)

We left out of Dalton at 0500 on Monday and made the long drive to Weatherford TX to pick up a friend and then onto Childress the next day....We had access to nearly 25,000 acres to hunt. Given that we saw temps in the 104-108 range we knew we would be hunting over water holes.

Jackson was the first to get on the board. Killing a large red boar as we walked to our stand the first hunt. We had been on the ground less than 9 minutes. Our encounter with this hog would qualify as "danger close" and he handled himself and the firearm with a calm proficiency that made his father proud. It was cool to witness my oldest son, and avid hunter, keep calm in a stressful situation and do what needed to be done. This one moment made the hunt for me.

Patrick's 45/70 was the next to lay one down...once again hunting over water and the hogs continue to come in. Patrick delivered a shot that stopped the sow DRT (Dead Right There). He was shooting 500+ grain loads from Ashley's company, Garrett Cartridges Defender Ammo, which packs quite a punch.

Jackson put another down later that evening. This hog had actually been frequenting camp and causing some issues...Ashley handed him one of his personal guns and Jackson shot the hog on the move at better than 150 yards. After pulling the trigger and seeing the hog go down Jackson turns and looks at Ashley and asked, "WHAT was that?".....it was a 375 H&H....and it got the job done with stunning efficiency.

My job, was to capture as much content as possible...on our final morning I was finally able to put a gun in my hand. Hunting out of a blind, Jackson and I arrived well before first light. We crept into the blind and checked our field of view....then began to settle and situation into our blind....within seconds Jackson spotted a hog walking into our shooting lane....Once again, within minutes of arriving, bacon was on the ground and I was on the board....shortly after that, another came in and it was down too....then the real job began...Field dressing two large board...

I have to say I was extremely impressed with the design and efficiency of the ESEE-AGK. This design was Ashley's brainchild and you can tell that the guy knows what he is doing. The ergonomics and design makes the difficult task of breaking down these beast much easier. In Ashely's hands it was stunningly efficient.

Ashley has spent a lifetime designing gun parts and hunting. His practical knowledge of hunting and gun design only pales in comparison to his shooting ability. On our last day there he put on a shooting clinic for the 3 GA boys....to say this man is proficient with a gun would be an understatement. I learned a tremendous amount on this trip and made some new friends as well....Above all the memories of hunting with my son are priceless. We hope to return next year!

DSCF8557.JPG DSCF8558.JPG DSCF8569.JPG DSCF8574.JPG DSCF8607.JPG DSCF8625.JPG DSCF8632.JPG DSCF8640.JPG DSCF8674.JPG DSCF8692.JPG DSCF8745.JPG DSCF8782.JPG IMG_1685 copy 2.jpg 492FD9ED-323E-458D-8850-06B75380A684.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Id like to borrow that case of guns sometime. :)

shaneadams90 likes this.
  3. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

That looks to be a fun trip.

Mike Smith and shaneadams90 like this.
  4. shaneadams90

Those guns were works of art and no telling how much $$$ is in that case...

Some hardware pics:

DSCF8783.JPG DSCF8784.JPG

DSCF8782.JPG

Savage build
    Right hand bolt, left eject
    6.5x284
    Tack Driver
    Burris Ranging finding Scope
    DSCF8736.JPG DSCF8735.JPG

Ashley had some killer guns for us to shoot.
    Built 308 with Burris Elminator rangefinding scope...very cool set up..
    Ringing steel out to 622 yards was child's play.
    DSCF8733.JPG

Varmit AR I built
    18" Black Hole Weaponary Barrel
    Match trigger
    Jackon's Graduation gift
    Ziess 4x16 scope
    Liberty Torch QD can
    DSCF8696.JPG

Ringing steel at 100, 200, and 300 with a .22
    DSCF8692.JPG

Probably my favorite and most shot gun:
    Ruger 77/22 Med contour barrel in .22
    This gun has been worked over a little bit
    NiB bolt and trigger group
    Cut down to 18" and threaded
    Larger bolt knob
    Sling by @Jacob Peterson
    Liberty Kodiak TL can
    Stupid accurate and fun to shoot.

DSCF8619.JPG

Remington 5r Tactical in 308
    AIC 2.0 Chassis
    Liberty Freedom Mag can
    Vortex Viper PST FFP 6x24
    DSCF8591.JPG

Savage 10FP in 223
    HS Precision stock
    Burris Black Diamond 6x24
    Liberty Torch QD can

DSCF8552.JPG

S&W 629-6 PC in 44mag
    ESEE AGK
    Prototype Armatus Carry sheath and dangler
    DSCF8607.JPG

5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Yo are going to make me go hunt some hogs now.... :D

My .375H&H is one of my very favourite hog rifles...not because they need it.....just because it is just so spectacular.... :D In the year before I went to Africa I made myself hunt almost exclusively with it (where I would have normally carried my light Sako .308), shot lots of swine, a few deer and a bunch of rabbits with it !! The joy of the .375 is that dspite it's oomph...it is not decidedly uncomfortable to shoot !!!

shaneadams90, STPNWLF and Strigidae like this.
  6. shaneadams90

it was awesome reaction! but he said he hardly felt it but he did notice it!!

Strigidae likes this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Yes.....they are no pussy cat !! But I MUCH prefer to shoot it (in the field) than my .300Win ! I did crack a knuckle with it when I took a hasty prone shot with it, angle meant the trigger guard was able to get back and hit my trigger finger.... :( It always gets an audience at the indoor range though :D

Strigidae likes this.
  8. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

No doubt. The 300 has a quick kick and the 375 is like a long push. Id still not want that long push prone.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

.....yep......laying prone was not my first choice to take a shot with that rifle....but another shot was unlikely to present it's self anytime soon so..... ;)

Strigidae and shaneadams90 like this.
  10. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Hope you don't mind, but I liked this photo so much, I did a little enhancement work on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Datilite, Mike Smith, IW17 and 3 others like this.
  11. Mudman

Mudman Member

Looked like a ton of fun, with some very fun looking toys.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  12. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Finally got you cats down here for some proper hog time. Told ya it was fun. ;)

shaneadams90 and Strigidae like this.
  13. shaneadams90

no doubt...I'd like to make it a yearly trip...loads of fun and we have a LOT of meat for our upcoming Adv Bushcraft class!!!

anrkst6973 likes this.
  14. shaneadams90

Just a quick clip of Jackson recapping our first evening hunt.....actually, about the first 15 minutes of our first evening hunt...this happened quick!

Strigidae likes this.