Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. C99c

C99c Member

Y'all thought I was finished, right? Nope. Now that I no longer work nights I get actual real sleep and have time and energy to burn and at the moment I'm watching a couple really smart, really inexperienced new engineers try to figure out why the Dumpsterfire 2000 they deigned and had built won't work for it's intended purpose (or honestly, any other purpose). But hey, it looked cool on paper, sounded good in the sales pitch to people who have never been in the building and what's a few million to overly complicate a nonexistent problem anyway.

Anyway, back to the TCP. In my mind I imagine that for many years there was a small room in the back of the Taurus facility where a couple of old timers hand built the little .380, unencumbered by management or all the modern going ons in the rest of the place. They used tools older than they were and in case of spec issues they had the original drawings posted on a wall, opposite from the posters of some fine Brazilian "scenery".

Then one day in came the newest management with some big idea guys and the old timers were informed that their product would be moving to the regular assembly area and the room would be remodeled to provide space for the future of the company, the Curve.

I imagine them standing up, putting on their hats, fondling one last TCP and taking a good look at the posters on the wall before shaking hands and leaving, never to return.

Today they're sitting on a boat somewhere, drinking their morning coffee and deciding whether to fish or anchor close to a beach to watch the "scenery".

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Delkancott likes this.
  2. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I’ve had this vise in my garage for years. I’ve never used it and I can’t even remember where I got it. After the recent move, my wife is wanting to have a garage sale to clear out some “junk”. So I figured what the hell, take that old vise and sell it for $20-$30. Well, something told me to google the name on the side of it first. Turns out, it’s apparently some super rare vintage vise worth several hundred dollars haha.

You never know what you’ve got laying around.

2D4AB882-7C23-419E-877B-204BB7971D47.jpeg

6BE271A5-36AA-49B2-9E37-1755A1CFAE56.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Strigidae, C99c, Josh and 3 others like this.
  3. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Finally found a use for this little belt pouch.. 20190823_133757.jpg

Kevo likes this.
  4. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

How about $3.50?

5. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

The mags full of ammo in that pouch would be much more useful than a box of ammo in it.

Michael W., Bcamos, JV3 and 2 others like this.
  6. Kevo

Kevo Member

I'm digging that little pouch.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  7. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

yeah maybe.. 20190823_224617.jpg

8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Drew RedBear likes this.
  9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I did, and I keep forgetting to post what I got.. Thanks for the info tho, that's pretty cool.

10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Drew RedBear I always keep a few of those around and seem to use them all the time. They also work great to hold a pair of gloves.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  11. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I’ve gotten smart.. Every time the wifey asks me to make a online purchase. I just might slip a few extra small items in the cart :) A extra rite in the rain notepad or other small items she doesn’t seem to notice :)

Zeek likes this.
  12. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

We got ducks and chickens today! Apparently the ducks will crush the chickens if we don’t let them grow with plenty of room so I built them their own enclosure.

57201B9C-D440-49DB-8FB1-F01862A69E78.jpeg A55560CC-0E34-4EBC-96DB-4E3AB21960AC.jpeg E4E41B09-45C4-48C7-B2BF-CC919763A2A9.jpeg 29E82A98-7032-4B15-8E2E-417D2729E141.jpeg B4EB2C61-8A5C-4BEB-B6A5-A6429630A649.jpeg

IW17, OKcherokee, JV3 and 2 others like this.
  13. jeeter

jeeter Member

Does anyone have a suggestion for Thanksgiving and Christmas gifts for the mail carrier? Her name is Candace. Normally, I've given her a card with some money inside, although recently it's started to feel kind of weird handing a stack of $1 bills to someone named "Candy."

That's funny.:D

14. C99c

C99c Member

I laughed a lot.

I've gifted Streamlight Stylus Pro pen lights to a couple of delivery folks. Inexpensive, comes in multiple colors and is just generally useful.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  15. IW17

IW17 Member

I'm gonna give my mail carrier something nice, and leave it beside the driveway in the pouring rain uncovered all day until she finds it there.

C99c, Zeek, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  16. BigJake

BigJake Member

This is how I feel about it too after the snow plow did a poor job on my street and the mail carrier was able put a nastygram in my mail box letting me know that they wouldn't deliver my mail because they couldn't get to the mail box with all the snow. :confused:

RocketmanDane, C99c and Strigidae like this.
  17. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Just want to give my friend Doyle a shout out for what he's doing. He's a good man for doing it.

18. W.Jester

W.Jester Member

Been using my jg3 more. Would absolutely love esee to make orange g10 scales an option with it.... a man can dream right

19. C99c

C99c Member

My wife and I did some miles on the BMT yesterday, including some time spent talking to an 88 yr old fellow who was getting stir crazy after open heart surgery a few months ago so he decided to do a week on the trail.

Apparently he bounces around and logs a good amount of time living out of his tent (he did mention that he had recently (?) bought a trailer to tow behind his Jeep). Originally from Indiana, he's currently living with some family in Georgia (Canton area, I believe) due to the surgery. Said that there's a video on YouTube where he was interviewed while camping in New Mexico last year. If anyone ever runs across it I'd appreciate a link as I couldn't find it.
    Unfortunately, I didn't catch his name, but enjoyed the talk. And it makes me happy to see folks his age out enjoying life.

Today was the gym, some unexpected time in the hay field and catching up on mowing the yard.

Currently I'm watching an old Top Gear, eating popcorn and drinking some nice Tennessee Whiskey and trying to decide which river to go float tomorrow. And contemplating selling everything and enjoying more of life now instead of later...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Strigidae and RocketmanDane like this.
  20. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

For anyone interested in EARLY EARLY American history this is def worth reading IMO!
    As a kid I remember them teaching the “traditional” model of early American population. This looks to be a serious challenge to the long held “traditional model”. (Yes they taught about this type of stuff as early as grade school where I grew up )

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-state-university-oldest-human-artifacts-idaho-north-america/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/30/us/idaho-artifacts-coopers-ferry-trnd/index.html

Strigidae likes this.