Important Announcement (Seriously)

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

You guys talked and we listened. You can’t always bat 1.000. Or perhaps more germane to my circles, you can’t always shoot 100 straight.

The Medellin as we all know it in it’s current form will be discontinued when this run is sold out. We are going to redesign it, or create an entirely new folder design (we aren’t sure yet), but we WILL be coming out with a folder again.

We are looking at all the input we received: steel, country of origin, ease of opening/closing, and tip up/down carry. The new one will undoubtedly be substantially more expensive but it will also undoubtedly have the quality to justify that price. Like the best recipes from your grandmother’s kitchen, we are starting with nothing but the best ingredients: S35V, titanium, and high quality G10 are just some of the components we are leaning towards right now. If you have input, let us know.

So it’s back to the workshop for us. Although in reality, our designs aren’t created in a shop. They are born out of caves, hiking trips, border crossings, hanging off a ledge by a rope, island life, jungles, hunting adventures, wilderness survival classes, and generally bumming around third-world countries.

We love you guys and want to put out stuff you’ll use for some of the best times of your life. Making memories has always been more important than making money for us. (Besides, we make more money on stickers than we could ever spend.)

So, stay tuned.....

On the two other upcoming releases:

First of all, no one on this planet is more frustrated than I am about how long this manufacturing takes. It’s not an industry for a patient man! I swear it would be faster to build those ships inside a bottle.

The super secret S35v project is suffering from the lack of steel availability in this country right now due to increased domestic demand. Which is apparently a result of tariffs. Just please understand we haven’t dropped the ball or been sitting on our thumbs. While you can’t make an omelet without breaking some eggs, you first have to have an egg to break.

The second project is an overseas sourced one. And apparently it’s full-time siesta over there. Still waiting. Mañana, mañana, mañana. If I could get in the garage and make them myself I would. But then they would be something no one would buy.

So that’s the State of the Expat Union (or Expat Confederacy, depending on your political bent). Just wanted to let you all know.

So what do you do with all your knife money in the meantime now that you’ve bought every ESEE? I suggest checking out Randall Made Knives. Current wait is about 5 years so you might want to get on it sooner rather than later.

As always, thank you for your support.

—Expat

Skip808, Kaw-liga, Caleb O and 11 others like this.
  2. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Thanks for keeping us up to speed @Expat !!

Strigidae and RocketmanDane like this.
  3. Expat

By the way, this is top secret information and not meant to be shared until tomorrow. So don’t tell anyone!!

Strigidae and hma153 like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I know a "guy" with a fast boat who could run some "S35V" up from Nornam's Cay if it would help.... ;)

Strigidae likes this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Im all team expat. Take all the time you need.

6. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

My input for a folder....
    I love folders that use a different locking system other than the traditional frame or liner lock.(benchmade axis lock and spyderco compression lock..for example)
    I know that likely bumps up the cost. The main reason for this is because liner locks are never cutout right and it tears up your finger if you use it a lot in a day (at work I open and close my knife well over 100x per day). Frame locks are much better in my opinion (especially if they are titanium). My only issue with framelocks is that I mostly wear synthetic blends of clothing (ripstop and other type cargo pants and athletic pants/shorts). No matter how good/tight the pocket clip is they dont stay in the pocket very well. G10 (especially spyderco's) really sticks in the pocket nicely. I would like to try out a Hinderer framelock that has that textured titanium framelock to see if that would help.

7. Expat

You can do what I do to avoid all that: I’m 100% a slipjoint guy.

Kaw-liga and Strigidae like this.
  8. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Im sure I could but a locking folder just feels more secure to me...plus I really utilize the one-handed opening/closing a locking knife offers...I mostly prefer flippers and/or spydie holes. I know not everyone is a fan of flippers so I'd love to see esee/expat put out a folder that had the removable flipper tab like the lionsteels have

9. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Full flat grind PLEASE!!!!!!

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  10. erik

erik Member

an s35v slipjoint version of the medellin sounds good to me!

Caleb O and Strigidae like this.
  11. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I need to try a medellin some day

12. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Ask 10 different people what they want in a high end folder, and you'll likely get 10 different answers.

Personally I'd say titanium frame lock with some sort of harder interface with the tang to prevent wear. Great lock up and none of the slop that can come with compression/liner/axis locks

My vote: This with a pocket clip that's more in line with the knife. This is still such a great looking knife to me.

[​IMG]

13. erik

erik Member

as a southpaw, I am not a fan of framelocks -- except for the ones with a half-thickness scale on the lock side so I don't pinch the lock while trying to open it.

14. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Frame, liner, compression are all likely an issue for you then. Unfortunately for lefties, it's a right handed world.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  15. Expat

Again, we are back to a simple slipjoint being the best solution. I think that design was the pinnacle of knife development. Everything we’ve added since then has just detracted from the design.

Clips tear up our pants and the locks and studs tear up our thumbs. All so we can use a knife anyway we want and there are no consequences of a blade closing on our hand.

erik, Strigidae and mtngoat like this.
  16. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I like the simplicity of a good ol slip joint. Don’t get me wrong I am also a fan of all manner of folders but growing up on a farm and watching my granddad use his slip joint everyday for all manner of task showed me just how versatile they are.

17. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I've decided to go back to carrying a piece of flint in my pocket. Drilling a hole in a piece now so I can put a pine bark folding handle on it.

5col, C99c, Strigidae and 1 other person like this.
  18. Expat

Use a titanium pin for that handle or it will NEVER sell.

Lostviking, mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  19. C99c

C99c Member

ESEE Knives 2020 Blade Show new model releases.
    486276a8c6d8cc7572bd527699b28f5e.jpg

Kaw-liga, 5col and Caleb O like this.
  20. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Slip joints have always had a nostalgic place in my heart and I own a few old ones that were handed down 4 generations but I've never had the desire to carry one (with the exception of a SAK, I carry one daily but NEVER use the blade. I keep it razor sharp in case it needs to be used for medical purposes....by someone else lol)...
    I can completely see where you are coming about slip joints though, Expat. Maybe this one will change my mind about them...