Before Esee?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Trailmaster, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I used Busse's. I just didn't know there were decent knives available at the time.

daizee and Strigidae like this.
  2. Big Ol’ Hauger

Big Ol’ Hauger Member

When I was five, my dad gave me a little slip-joint Imperial knife he took off of his massive set of keys. After that, I was invincible! It’s still tucked away somewhere. Growing up, it was pretty much Old-Timers and Uncle Henry’s. 10th Christmas, mom, (an old Girl Scout and lover of Ben Hunt books) gave me a Victorinox Angler. Much love for that knife. Dad and I started bonding over guns and hunting when I was about 14. He only ever bought me one gun at any of the shows, (a Ruger Mini-30. More invincibility!) but every show or three, I’d score a Remington Bullet knife. I think I had ‘83–‘91. Went to a gun show in Winchester, Va. and traded all the Bullets for Cold Steels. The old man was livid. If I still had them, I think I would have come out a bit ahead, though. Used my Christmas money that year to buy another CS, the old bead-blasted Recon Tanto. Those were junk! Also picked up my first Spyderco that year. It was original lineup, I don’t think it even had a cool name. It was the one with the clip that was pressed out of the scale. Tore my jean pockets all to hell. Packed around Benchmades and a CS Twistmaster through the ‘90’s. After that, it was Ken Onion Kershaws for a long time. Up until a couple years ago, I was going between Walmart Spydercos, CRKTs, and Gerber. This past Christmas, mom and the brother asked what I wanted. I was at a loss, so I said sharp pointy stuff will work. I sent mom links for three ESEEs. Ended up with a 4HM, and bro got me a CS Master Hunter 3V. It was a good year. I’ll spare the details on all the Frost, Valor, and hollow handled survival knives.

Rattlesnake likes this.
  3. Brian Sunderland

Brian Sunderland Member

Do you still have any Humphreys?

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.... you have have missed it when @Strigidae highlighted it yesterday but @Hammer has not been online here in around 3yrs now. I suspect he may not answer either of your requests mate.

Strigidae and Brian Sunderland like this.
  5. Skip808

Skip808 Member

I was always Buck for ages. Mostly a 110 or 112. Then I decided to go the fixed blade route for hunting.

Tried Benchmade. Loved the Saddle Mountain series but didn’t like the sheaths.

Then I found Esee. Game over and done for fixed blades. I still dabble in Buck and Spyderco for folders but they are few and far between and fill a specific purpose.

oops just saw the previous post haha oh well that’s my story and sticking with it.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

For a fixed blade as a kid I would grab an old Solingen marked knife nobody wanted. I carried one of those snazzy double edged Gerber daggers when I was in the service, wish I would have kept that knife, it wasn't worth a crap to use but seems to be real popular collectible now. Carried a small Buck pocket knife till I started working construction then a SAK, carried a Gerber Covert for a bit then found the Izula, I find I don't need much else, open a box or hammer it through a wire it just slides back in the pocket ready for whatever comes to it next. I planned on trying Jacobs Adventure Craft going forward but I don't know how to break it to her, I just can't not put her in the pocket yet.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.