The anrkst6973vs bushman5 Potjie/Cast Iron Cookware Cook-Off!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bushman5, May 28, 2019.

1. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

Get the new and improved junk steel grill going ( I found a piece of expanded steel for the bottom, added feet to the legs, improved it a bit ;) ) Sesame oil and don't spare the spice.

image.jpeg

Lady Ash came back with an 8 pack of beautiful jalapeño stuffed sausages. I used 4 sliced diagonally. These cook fast so don't burn em up ok?

image.jpeg

2 lbs of jumbo shrimp. These I soaked to de-ice in cold water, pinch of salt, and about a tablespoon of lemon juice. Stage the meat for later.

image.jpeg

Now I "de-oiled" the skillet here. Just about 2 cups of hot water, swirl it a time or two, and pour it out. Leaving the crusty from the meats in the pan. A fresh tablespoon of oil for the next step...

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

Pour Rotel tomatoes in the pan. The ratio is 10 oz for every 2 cups of rice you plan to use. You could use bigger cans, make it more tomatoey, there's varieties that are more spicy. However you want it. Get it bubbly hot, add a pat or two of butter.

image.jpeg

Add rice. I used 2 cups of mixed brown and white. Gently stir just enough to get it all mixed then spread it level in the pan and let it simmer/cook. 7-8 minutes approximately. Don't stir it about, let it get kind of crispy crunchy on the bottom. (This would be a lot easier to heat manage on a gas grill...but what would be the fun in that. :D ) Most of the liquid is going to get absorbed, that a good way to gauge the doneness of the rice.

image.jpeg

When the rice/Rotel is done to your liking, add chicken stock. 1 qt/L for every 2 cups of rice. This my homemade stuff, it's got some spices and a shot or 2 of Worcestershire. Richer taste....

image.jpeg

This needs to simmer, about 15 minutes so the rice will finish cooking and most of the stock gets absorbed.

image.jpeg
    While the rice simmers I popped the 12" carbon steel on the Coleman for a fast n hot mushroom sauté. There is some asparagus and green peas too but right at this moment we had a 3/4s of a dozen teenage girls wandering in and out, 3 excited pup pups and 2 skillets going. My photographer got distracted. ;)

3. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

When your rice has absorbed about 85% of the stock start putting the meats back in. Just nestle them down in the sauce.

image.jpeg

Then do the same with your sautéed veggies. Spoon em in and under but don't stir too much. (Sous chef is getting excited about the smell emanating from this. :) )

image.jpeg

Dull food sucks...yep. Still adding spices!

image.jpeg

I guesstimated this for about 5 minutes....

Strigidae, Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

Yours truly says this is done, we are goin somewhere to eat it!

image.jpeg

Lady Ash insisted on a "beauty shot" sitting on the table.

image.jpeg

Just before serving gently brush with a mix of melted butter, lemon juice, and Tabasco.

image.jpeg

Service with a smile at the Anrkst grill....

image.jpeg

The Sous has no time for talking, he's too busy using the shovel method to get it in his face!

Strigidae, IW17, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  5. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Well there you go guys. I made the paella like the Bushman wanted. It was definitely not as hard or complicated as I though it would be. I'll be making this one again for sure. I'm really happy with my carbon steel cookware too. If you're a cast iron fan then I recommend these carbon pans highly. Mine are Lodge but there are other good brands too. Give a shout, tell me what you thought eh? :)

Bozho, Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Epic!

anrkst6973 and Zeek like this.
  7. Zeek

Zeek Member

This is great stuff man... you cook like a pro !!!

anrkst6973 likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

we'd be a hell of a team on the 6x6 food crawler!

Zeek likes this.
  9. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Get us an 18 ft inclosed trailer that's a kitchen and permission from the forest service to scavenge the cut blocks for wood to run a bunch of grills and ovens....we'd be downright dangerous. ;)

Zeek likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

no permission needed. :)

i'd rather have a big canopy to cook under, and lots of cast iron dutch ovens and Potjies.

nothing like open air cooking!

Zeek and anrkst6973 like this.
  11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I was picturing a horse trailer with roll up/flip up sides like you see at BBQ cook off's. With 2 half a cow inclosed smokers, a couple of removable grate fire pits and a wood fired oven or 2... We might get a free Field Survival course at the farm if we agree to cook for Tactical Rifle the week before. ( Hey one can dream right? ;) )

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

13. Bozho

Bozho Member

This looks too delicious!

Bushman5 and anrkst6973 like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

15. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Oh my. That looks...dangerous. ;). I had planned to do wings one weekend.....:D

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

another one for ya:

anrkst6973 and IW17 like this.
  17. IW17

IW17 Member

Thanks for posting this. I'm gonna try this soon.

Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

This one was picked by Lady Ash , if you have Pinterest or access to it you can look it up for yourself. When she first showed it to me I was dubious about it but I agreed to give it a try. I did have to change mine from the posted recipe which calls for sweet potatoes, onions, and garlic cloves. No one but me will eat sweet potatoes and onions/garlic....well crud. Let's try this out ok? "African Chicken and Peanut Stew".

image.jpeg
    This required more prep than most of my recipes. I suppose you could do it in one potjie or Dutch oven but it would be time consuming. This would have been wayyyy easier in the kitchen. ;)
    It was just me for this part so I missed a few pictures, it was sorta messy with grease splatter and multiple pots going.

image.jpeg
    This was my spice blend. A bit more expansive that what was posted for the recipe. I just mix small amounts in a salsa bowl and taste test till I like it.

image.jpeg

The recipe calls for bone in chicken. Either a whole bird or thighs is the recommendation. I pulled a 3 legs/thighs box and some breast chunks to bulk those up.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  19. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg
    I'm the kitchen boss, "Head Cook. Death from Within". :D

image.jpeg
    You are supposed to brown and then de-bone the chicken, using the bones to make stock. ( There was an All-Clad in the pic earlier for this.) Here you can see the grease splatter. I have lids on order for my carbon pans. Should have used the 4 qt DO for this.

image.jpeg
    I wanted to use a turnips and potatoes mix. Couldn't find turnips. Not even at the Farmers Market. :( out of season and nobody eats em anymore is what an old timer told me.)

image.jpeg
    This recipe calls for peanuts. Yes, real peanuts. I browned them in the chicken pan, releases a bit of the oils and flavor.

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  20. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg
    I'm glad I live at the very edge of town and have good neighbors. Cause there is woodsmoke coming out of my backyard like all the time.

image.jpeg
    Get to this point and it's just put all your prepped steps in a pot and cook for an hour.
    I opted for my big #3 but if you did 2 pieces of chicken, 1 potatoe ect, you could cut this recipe down to a smaller 1 person easily carried pot.

image.jpeg
    Without the tang of sweet potatoes or sautéed onions I pour the spice to it.

image.jpeg
    This starts going together fast. Vegetables next. ( I went back and browned up some carrots, broccoli, corn and celery to add to the potatoes . They were just boring by themselves.)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Zeek and Strigidae like this.