The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McKROB

McKROB Member

I’m curious, it’s hard to tell from the pic, was there an acorn stamp on any of the primers?

It used to be the centrefire Truflare cartridges had plain unstamped primers and the rimfire cartridges all had an acorn stamp. It was common to get a box of one or another without any indication of what you were getting on the box, so you always had to check. I haven’t seen this in a few years though...

All of my Truflare launchers are “convertible”. If you unscrew the locking lug the firing pin can be removed and flipped around to expose the rimfire firing pin. Have you checked yours?

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the recent batch of Tru-Flare bangers and screamers i got had blank (no logo stamp) primers.

I did not know that about the launchers...i will check mine out in a minute...

ok here we go, disassembled

IMG_7828.jpg

spring side of firing pin
    IMG_7831.jpg

business end of firing pin IMG_7832.jpg

normal setup for centerfire primers IMG_7833.jpg

reversed......its too long IMG_7834.jpg

I could drill and tap another hole for the bolt, further up the firing pin, that would make it work. But im not going to worry about two boxes of bear banger/screamer cartridges. I'll just pull the existing primers and get some centerfire ones, push them in and reseal with nail polish.

Datilite, Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  3. McKROB

McKROB Member

That’s the first one I’ve seen that’s not reversible... I’d send you a pic of one of mine disassembled but I’m away from home for a couple more weeks and didn’t bring one with me.... (not needed in Europe :)).

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

July 14th, 2019, sunny/overcast, mixed temps, "The Hammer Up A Mountain, Visit With The Raven Clan, Get A FlyOver By My Old Cat's Spirit Animal: Hawk, Enjoy The Silence Of The Deep Woods Moss, Massive Elevation Gain, Non Dominant Hand Fire Attempt, Eat Well In The Church Of The Woods Tour"

Late start......another weekend where i'm just too burned out from work to get out for a real hike and exploration........Slept most of Saturday, puttered around the house, slept thru 10 clock alarms on Sunday and did not get rolling in the truck until 1400 hours. :confused::mad::(:oops:

Loaded up the L.R.R.P.R. Gen 6? 7? 8? :D webbing heavy. @Se7eN said on our recent adventure that i don't pack enough food....and he is right. So i loaded the TYR Tactical lower back roll pouch with dried soups, rice, sesame crackers, drink mixes, hard tack, rye crackers, instant noodles etc. Plus i loaded the SORD XL utility pouch on the webbing belt with the heavier stuff (a whole pepper salami, a wedge of Parmesan, big cans of sardines, instant coffee and Ovaltine, plus water sterilization mix.

load-out weight with gear and food and 2 x 1 Liter canteens = 50 lbs. :confused: Don't Care. Time to HAMMER! (er....more like plod....the hills are insanely STEEP up here. Its take 10 paces, pause, catch breath, repeat. Massive elevation gains in very short times.

good luck getting thru this to the forest behind it. I tried this ONCE and it took me 2 hours to go 200' from the FSR thru the thick to the forest. It will utterly bring you to your knees with exhaustion. Apparently not even FLIR can penetrate this dense growth. (from the side, overhead is a different story)
    IMG_7865.jpg
    I didn't even try to get the B4000 2WD up the FSR.....you can see how steep the mountain is here...the FSR is the same. I literally took about 10 minutes to walk 25 feet.

gravity,,,,shes a bit of a b**** Eh?
    IMG_7866.jpg

ooooh oooh ooooh Big B52 Bomber Bumblebees! I love these fat fuzzy lil buggers! this one is like 1" long x 3/4" wide. IMG_7876.jpg IMG_7879.jpg
    steadily plodding, er.......climbing.
    IMG_7884.jpg

thistle flower in bloom
    IMG_7888.jpg

thistle flower not in bloom , this is one of my best ever photos!

IMG_7889.jpg

I LOVE LOGGING!

that entire side of that mountain was logged in the 70's and replanted, and now they are starting to log the same cutblock again. Constant cycle of take out, put back and repeat.
    IMG_7892.jpg

three MASSIVE Ravens flew overhead near me,......CROOOAAAAK!............CROOOAAAAK!.........CROOOAAAAAK! from each one of them before they flew high up into the thermals and drifted around for over half an hour. Amazing to hear them then see them just floating. IMG_7908.jpg IMG_7912.jpg

The dark woods above were logged in the 80's and replanted. The cutblock below was logged in the mid 2000's and replanted.
    IMG_7922.jpg

still climbing.......over 300 meters elevation gain in less than 1/2KM . I love this view. IMG_7927.jpg

Squamish below me IMG_7929.jpg

Steeeeeep IMG_7931.jpg
    micro plants, tiny little leaves, not sure the ID but they blanketed the side of the FSR
    IMG_7935.jpg
    3 cedars harvested of bark by First Nations Elders. Always on the South East side...not sure why always that side. Buts its pretty amazing to see traditional cedar bark harvesting methods thru out the woods
    IMG_7938.jpg

jelly cup? IMG_7941.jpg

SPORE! IMG_7947.jpg
    roll three or more long strands of this moss into a "rope" and you can secure a bandage VERY EFFECTIVELY.
    IMG_7948.jpg

macro of a tiny 1/4" wide mushroom IMG_7955.jpg

Hawk (my old cat Mephisto's spirit animal) flew thru the forest, just above the FSR.....landed on a tree branch, fluffed his wings and flew overhead of me, less than 4' . Hawk pulled up for a millisecond, then flapped on.

Hello Old Friend!

:cool:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    BigJake, Datilite, Reno Lewis and 5 others like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

not even 3/4 km in (up) yet....just knackered by the steep FSR. Step off to cool down in cool dark, quiet mossy woods.

padding silently here, not a sound from me, nor sound from around me. Still silence. I stopped for 15 minutes to become part of the woods, and to let the normal woods rhythm continue.

IMG_7960.jpg IMG_7968.jpg IMG_7972.jpg

oooh Sasquatch! ....er....wait a minute...... IMG_7973.JPG IMG_7983.JPG

fungi macro IMG_7993.jpg
    logged in the early 70's....full forest now......and overtaken by moss.....utterly silent in this area.
    IMG_7995.jpg IMG_7999.jpg

leaving the cool, moist, mossy dark woods, and back onto the FSR, find some berries.
    IMG_8001.jpg

still bitter tasting......need more sunlight for another couple of weeks to really get the sugars going. But they make a nice wood dye IMG_8012.jpg

this plant in the fall, when its dead and DRY, is WICKED tinder. IMG_8013.jpg

DEVILS CLUB flowers,not quite in bloom yet. IMG_8014.jpg

dense, thick, steep, mossy woods. IMG_8016.jpg

hmm....

found a boot print, recent. Like last 2 days. Someone else crazy enough to hike up these insane FSR's

IMG_8022.jpg

hi relief photo, looks like a size 9 to 9.5 sneaker. IMG_8024.jpg

i carried on down a spur off the main trunkline. Lonely woods. This is an old spur, not a lot of traffic. IMG_8027.jpg

looking down into a cutblock. Perfect angle for a 30-30, 30-06, or similar calibers to take a deer, moose or elk as they fed on the lush and rich vegetation.. IMG_8031.jpg

I'm behind the THE CHIEF (Siám' Smánit in local First Nations language) climbing mountain now. About 700 meters up.
    IMG_8032.jpg

Hydro Sentinels loom high above the trees. IMG_8035.jpg

on i walk.

IMG_8040.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    BigJake, Datilite, matthew and 8 others like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Behind the Chief mountain is a whole nuther valley....and then another MASSIVE mountain peak.

IMG_8050.jpg IMG_8051.jpg

Meow Meow?

IMG_8053.jpg IMG_8055.jpg IMG_8056.jpg

tiny little Meow Meow tracks. Momma's were huge, hand sized, these where less than 2" across. Small Meow Meow.

IMG_8058.jpg

Ok, right farking knackered. Time for brew up, food and July Challenge skill set testing. Happy to off load the L.R.R.P.R. webbing IMG_8059.jpg
    I love that blade. God help any animal that ever attacks me.
    IMG_8060.jpg

JULY CHALLENGE - Non Dominant hand fire starting drill.....I drove the BlackJack into the stump with my left hand, then pulled dry wood against the blade to make shavings for my SAS MKettle. IMG_8065.jpg IMG_8066.jpg
    bigger tinder was simply pressed into the stump by my left hand until it broke.
    IMG_8067.jpg

jammed the CR2.5 into the stump and used it to get a spark by rapidly dragging the Esee ferro rod across the spine one handed. Yes i used a PJCB tinder .....i was HAAAAAAAANGRY! (no dinner last night, no breaky this morning......hard hike up 600 meter elevation gain in less than 2 KM. ) HANGRY! IMG_8069.jpg IMG_8070.jpg IMG_8071.jpg IMG_8072.jpg

food loadout.....ok its a bit much,,,,and like 6lbs ..... IMG_8073.jpg IMG_8074.jpg

lunch/dinner was soup! IMG_8075.jpg IMG_8076.jpg IMG_8077.jpg more

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I had rye crackers (easy digesting, High fiber , good carbs), slathered with heavily salted garlic herb butter, topped with Parmesan cheese slices.

IMG_8078.jpg
    doesn't get much better than this. (only dining that tops this was when Brother @Se7eN and I had a steak cook out! )
    IMG_8079.jpg
    time for some instant coffee and Ovaltine!!! I may have farked up the mix.....too much instant coffee not enough Ovaltine! I still drank all of it!
    IMG_8080.jpg
    pure heaven right here.....powerhouse energy /fiber food
    IMG_8082.jpg

packed up after brew up and ready to head back to the truck. I did not want to. I wanted to set up camp and stay the night and watch the full moon rise over The Chief. I wanted to watch and listen to the bats as they fed on insect at night. I wanted to do anything other than go back ............... IMG_8092.JPG

mountain peaks in the distance. IMG_8094.jpg

valley after valley........beautiful area. IMG_8096.jpg

This should be common sense, but it is not IMG_8097.jpg

Meow Meow scratching post! IMG_8098.jpg

thats it for now.....I could have lived out of my L.R.R.P.R. webbing for a week solid quite easily. But i'm stuck in the daily grind....and I hate it.

I always seem to find peace up here, or anywhere in remote BC. Living in the City is toxic to me. I need to get out soon. A storm is brewing. The World is spinning a little faster and faster.....things are happening.......I need out .

I only come here seeking peace, I only come here seeking me......I only come here seeking peace...........I only come here seeking me..........

Fin

BigJake, Datilite, matthew and 8 others like this.
  8. Bozho

Bozho Member

Absolutely beautiful photos, Bushy!!!

That food looks so good :cool:

The city is killing us with its non-natural life rythym and false people, nature is the place to be.. I feel you, I am about the same lately, hate the city and the concrete so much!

Bushman5 likes this.
  9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Well done on the challenge. :)

Bushman5 likes this.
  10. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

@Bushman5

Wicked write up brother. Love the one handed fire lighting tactic with driving the knife into the stump! Like everything else you do, it was practical and made sense.

Your food load out may seem like a bit much to you. Will take a few trips to get the essentials dialed in. It did for me anyway.

I usually have a standard amount that I take with me in my loadout all the time thatbare non perishable. Jerky, cliff bars, canned killers or sardines etc. Then I add what I want to eat that day on top of that.

You put on serious KM’s when you hike. Gotta fuel the beast bro! And yeah, I’ve been having a hard time making any outdoor meal (or trip for that matter) as epic and fun as the one we did.

Round 2 will commence soon enough lol.

Everyone else!!! Take heed to these free lessons of bush living! Don’t be tricked by minimalists!

When things go bad, they go bad fast. Plan plan plan. Practice practice practice.

@Bushman5 showed me that my FAK was lacking some intuitive and important items. Iron sharpens iron. I stocked up on Izzy bandages, extra tourniquet, a many other items all thanks to bushy looking out for me.

Additionally,

City life is toxic. You can’t hear yourself think half the time. I get it.

I find peace and silence in the woods also. In fact, it’s the only place and time that I feel normal, self aware and content.

Bushman5 likes this.
  11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

The colors...the vistas...the food! Even for a walk this is just mind warping. So pretty. Nicely done on the challenge. If it were in fact a " survival/emergency " situation, you'd be damn glad you were hauling that few grams of tube full of pjcb's.
    On those human tracks, How far apart? And is there a dig in on the toe end? Could be a mountian runner...we had a guy here that did that, from Montana?? You guys know who I'm talking about?

Bushman5, Se7eN and Zeek like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Not too worried about food. The human body can go for a long time without. Water on the other hand is numero uno for me. I have a roll up 2 liter bladder plus my canteens to treat water in. (And enough EF-Chlor tabs to treat 1000 liters of water, as well as a big ti cup and the SAS MKettle Boiler for boiling water.

I do like the variety of food though.....Powerbars get old pretty quick

Zeek, Se7eN and anrkst6973 like this.
  13. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Water always will be number 1!

Food takes even more water to digest properly!

Generally, I feel like People under estimate the importance of water.

What @Bushman5 carries with him in his loadout enables him to draw water from multiple sources and treat it so it can be consumed without fear.

Aside from the essentials, I only pack in extra food if I want to do a specific cook up, like we did. Other than that it’s just extra weight. I need the room in my pack for the 30 knives I’m going to bring with me lol

:cool:

Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Exactly- more Knives!

Se7eN and Zeek like this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

i got something else in the works......but its not applicable to the July Challenge. I'll post it when i build it.

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Since i built the L.R.R.P.R. webbing, I have been trying to develop and follow the Canadian Forces style of Load Out (Fighting Order, Battle Order, Marching Order)

however for me it is : Scouting Order (Fast and LIGHT), Recon Order (potential for 2 day PLUS wilderness hike) and SHTF (oops, sorry Work...SHTF!) Order (upwards of a week stay in the woods) <<<<talking gear here.....

as for food......

I can subsist on dried meats VERY WELL. They provide long term energy, are very lightweight and tasty. But I do like instant noodles too for the hot broth, salt,flavors and carbs.

Need to get my food dehydrator going again.....I like to cut giant pepper salamis into 12" long x 1/2" x 1/2" strips and put them in the dehydrator, let them get cured to a hard chewy format. A few days of drying and you can pack like 5lbs of meat (now 2LBS) into your rig)

HARD cheese.....like 20 plus year old dried Parmesan wedges. No amount of heat will soften them. And the flavour is STRONG

also been experimenting with pure leaf lard (salted) and sourdough breads.

I can live off that and COFFEE

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    CeeFried and Bozho like this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

You taught me that Brother! its an amazing technique!

Se7eN likes this.
  18. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Hahaha teamwork!

Bushman5 likes this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

July 21, 2019, 30 Degrees Celsius, HOT, "The Check Out A Debris Torrent Flow Catch Basin, BEE's! , Wander The Powerlines Clearings, Glass The Climbing Areas, Eat Well And Sit In Horrific Traffic Several Hours Tour........"

Late start again........cuz work.,.........did not roll out until 1300 hours. I have wanted to check out this debris torrent catch basin that is on the Sea To Sky Hwy for like a decade, but have just never have......

https://web.viu.ca/earle/howe-sound/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M_Creek

https://www.lionsbay.ca/sites/2/files/docs/related/lions_bay_nhaa_final_v5maps.pdf

https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog...n-the-sea-to-sky-highway-in-british-columbia/

https://www.cgs.ca/pdf/DF Bibliography 2000.pdf

Google Maps view

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.4035843,-123.2234161,2533a,35y,38.77t/data=!3m1!1e3

Cranked Blood For Blood "White Trash" album ( i freaking love hardcore skate/punk music) and drove with the AC on high. Pulled off the Sea To Sky Hwy and parked the rig. Rucked up with the L.R.R.P.R. webbing and started guzzling water.....DAMN HOT OUT!

old road above the Hwy 99
    IMG_8218.jpg

not supposed to park there, but my truck looks like a Conservation Officers truck. ;) never had issues parking it anywhere, aside from thieves IMG_8219.jpg

Howe Sound IMG_8220.jpg

top of the catch basin.

IMG_8224.jpg
    Specs:

300' tall of concrete (over 225' buried in the mountain) X 300' wide (at base, front to back) X 500' wide (end to end). Single drain tunnel 30' UP from the base with multiple 3' x 3' X 20' wide "slats" and a SHTF overflow above that. Depth of the catch basin is 75' (filled in with torrent debris now, about 30' deep)

IMG_8225.jpg

this comes from a cleft in the mountain well above this.......decades ago, it wiped out a tiny village of homes , plus the Hwy below. Every ten years or so, 50' end dumps back up the road and excavators empty out the basin IMG_8226.jpg IMG_8228.jpg IMG_8229.jpg

been a few years since the end dumps and excavators have been here.... IMG_8234.jpg

30 deg Celsius in the shade. IMG_8240.jpg

lots of these fragrant flowers and bees abound IMG_8252.jpg
    IMG_8253.jpg

take heed..... IMG_8258.jpg
    IMG_8259.jpg IMG_8260.jpg IMG_8261.jpg

2' boulder trapped on the slats. Its a ten foot drop to the massive drain tunnel below IMG_8262.jpg

dry as fark
    IMG_8263.jpg
    IMG_8264.jpg
    3" thick X 12" wide X 6' tall rubber dampers help cushion the drain slats from Momma Natures fury
    IMG_8266.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

mo mo more

Se7eN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.