Gas grills?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Whittington, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

I prefer to cook over coal or wood but we grill out 3-4 days a week and I typically do not have time to get the coals and wood set when I got hungry kids to feed. My Weber grill is on its last leg after 8 years of serious abuse and use. I am thinking about going with another Weber but figured I would ask what you guys like and have had great experience with?

Zeek likes this.
  2. artigas

artigas Member

We bought a Char Broil Tru Infrared this spring, and it's been great. It really does keep the meet juicy. There is a little more cleaning with the places under the grill grates, but it does an amazing job cooking. I feel like it doesn't use as much gas because it is more efficient.

I can see how a lot of people might not like the design, but we're glad we bought it. Also, I'm no grilling expert, be use it a lot.

http://www.charbroil.com/community/tru-infrared/

3. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

I have owned Char Broil Grills and I think the longest one has lasted me has been 2 years. They are great new but then fall apart quickly. At least that has been my experience. I have had 2 Webers and between the 2 I have gotten 15 years of a ton of grilling. That is the only reason I am leaning back toward Weber again. Although the Infrared grill does very much interest me.

Zeek likes this.
  4. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Hard to go wrong with a weber.

I prefer the Q series if you don't have a huge bunch to cook for. The Q300(or whatever the 3 series number is at the moment) is great.

It has a low lid so it heats up super quick. All aluminum/stainless/plastic. The only part that requires maintenance is the cast iron grates after a few years once the ceramic wears off. Weber will even replace them for you. I just have two sets now and season one like a dutch oven while I'm using the other set.

I've had mine for about six years now and don't see any reason I can't go 10-15 more.

Zeek likes this.
  5. chorpie

chorpie Member

My wife got me a Weber Spirit E330 for fathers day a couple years ago. I dig it.

Zeek likes this.
  6. JAD

JAD Member

I have 3 Webers currently. My large grill for almost daily cooking is a Genesis E 310 with a cast iron grilling surface, seasoned to perfection. It is a 2012 model. I also have 2 small Webers, the Q-2000, that I have been using for tailgating, camping, and picnics since late 1990. I run them side by side when I'm cooking for a group. All of these grills run like new to this day.

7. Marty W

Marty W Member

The Weber Genesis grills are excellent, as all Webers are. A popular one now is the Holland grill. It cooks at a consistent 400 degrees, so you cook purely by time. Everyone I know that has one, swears by them. I don't even have a gas grill now, got a Weber Kettle and an XL Green Egg. A gas one would be convenient when short on time. Check out the Holland Grills though, they are high quality.

Zeek likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Camp chef 3 burner with cast iron grill plate. Optional bbq box add on or pizza oven add on.

http://www.campchef.com/expedition-3x-three-burner-stove.html

You'll get a lifetime of use from it. My buddy bought one for the house, uses it often, uses it camping, hunting (base camp) etc.

Never had a issue.

9. eyerish

eyerish Member

I couldn't afford the Weber that I wanted, so I found a STOK grill on clearance at Target....So far so good...I'm loving it. Lost of cool features like a pizza grate and a ton of accessories.

10. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

Always had Weber charcoal grills and would not waste my time on a gas grill. Someone gave us a gas grill for a housewarming present when we built our house about 20 years ago, I used it two or three times and went back to the Weber. Charbroil manufacturing was a big operation in our town for many years and when they moved overseas and put a ton of people out of work I wrote them off and haven't bought anything they have anything to do with.

11. longbow2240

longbow2240 Member

Get you a wood pellet grill/smoker. Like a Traeger, Royall, or Green Mountain Grill. It'll be the last grill you'll ever own. There easy to clean easy to maintain! Easy to cook anything and everything. You can bake, grill, smoke. I've been cooking with wood pellets for 5 years now. We hardly ever use our stove much anymore.

Zeek likes this.
  12. Nowhere

Nowhere Member

I definitely prefer the flavor of charcoal grilled food, but I've come to conclusion that making grilling practical requires a gas grill. We got a Weber Genesis E-310 and it's served us well for the four years we've had it so far.

13. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I would second the Weber Genesis. Ive had mine for 5 years, and its still holding up great. I typically use it 2-3 times a week year round. Maybe a little more in the summer. Very good grill for the money.

Zeek and vBlake like this.
  14. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

My parents are getting my wife and I a Webber Q grill for Christmas. They love theirs, so does my mother in law.

15. rickdarris2004

rickdarris2004 Member

Just bought a Weber Spirit this summer and its great. Built much better than my previous Charbroil. Time will tell if it lasts as long as the Charbroil did, but judging by the quality, I don't see any issues

16. McKROB

McKROB Member

My last Weber Silver C lasted 16 years before the frame finally succumbed to rust this year (salty coastal air). Even with constant year round use and never covering it, the burner was about 95% intact, only the small cross tube had a hole in it. Replaced it with a Genesis S-330 this year, hopefully I'll get another 16 out of this one. The old one is still in use at a friends hunt camp.

It's taken me a while to get used to the three burners running front to back on this new one, I think I prefer the three lengthwise layout on the old one. I was also able to modify the old rotisserie to fit the new one.

I've also got one of the original Weber Q100's I bought about 12-13 years ago for car camping and for work, it's been stored outside for at least half that time and it's still like new.

You can't go wrong with a Weber, a bit pricey but in the end cheaper than buying a new one every couple of years !

Zeek likes this.
  17. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

We went with the Weber Genesis E-310. It got delivered today and I cooked our first steaks on it tonight. Gonna have to get used to it though. I was looking for Mid Rare and got real close to well done. Nice freaking grill though!

[​IMG]

Zeek, vBlake, brutane and 1 other person like this.
  18. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

This is what I have also, had it for about 6 years and its in excellent condition...love it

Zeek likes this.
  19. artigas

artigas Member

That's good to hear. I sure hope we get many years out of it too. I try and keep it clean and covered. It really grills things nicely.

20. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

I've kept mine covered except when in use ;) it is a pain to clean once in a while like you said...