A story of survival

Discussion in 'Search, Rescue and Technical Skills' started by Reno Lewis, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I wasn't able to attend this one, but a number of my team did.

Ill prepared and a made a number of poor decisions which landed him in his predicament, but he survived.

Never think you can best Mother Nature. Always go prepared.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/murray-naswell-survival-story-1.5204743

"Once the fog started coming in, you couldn't see nothing," "said Naswell, who followed the wrong ridge and soon found himself up against a cliff's edge."

"At one point Naswell said a lightning storm sent a bolt to the ground just 15 metres away."

"I sat there for three days and nobody was coming so I had to make another plan,"

"The last thing I did was I jumped off a 20-foot ledge into the water and I swam about half a mile to the cabin,"

"In the cabin, the 50-year-old got out of his wet clothes and piled under several blankets. He said he shivered there for about an hour before he got his core temperature up."

"He found the cabin stocked with a first aid kit for his battered legs, and enough fuel, coffee, and canned food for a few days. The first thing he ate was chicken noodle soup."

2. Packrat

Packrat Member

Thanks for passing this along Reno,good turnout,lots of people make it back from "day hikes"by sheer luck,not skill.
    Sadly these stories will continue....

Reno Lewis and Bushman5 like this.
  3. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Interesting story

Reno Lewis and Bushman5 like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Naswell was relieved and extremely grateful to be found. He was especially thankful for the owners of the cabin.

"I left a detailed message of what I took," he said. "I'd love to go back up there and put a few things back that aren't in place."

good stuff right there.

Reno Lewis likes this.