Grayl water purification systems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Se7eN, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

I use a Grayl system in my backpack when I travel to Mexico or Internationally for business travel. No better system for that purpose in my opinion. I use other systems when camping/Hiking. Etc.

BigJake likes this.
  2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Bushy to the rescue

3. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

LOL

He just knows that if I spent my money on it and was choked because it wasn’t what I expected it would be a waste of resources.

I’m sure it’s a good system, but @Bushman5 and I take each others opinions pretty seriously.

@Ravenous12 has a good point too. The grayl wouldn’t be a bad system for international travel. However, katadyne and life straw both make good water purification systems that are pretty good for those purposes as well.

I carry a life straw in my chest rig.

4. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Anyone with any added input on these? Lots of my daily water consumption at work tastes like **** and I was wondering how these are for things like that, or if it’s unnecessary.

5. Scablands Scavenger

Scablands Scavenger Member

Don't know if you are still looking for one, I will add my .02. for what its worth.

I also found this interesting when looking: https://www.wideners.com/blog/water-filter-tests-for-survival/

I purchased one a while back. Seems many of the youtuber bug out kit and survival kit types like them, along with the usual paid channels. I purchased without doing a whole lot of research, sometimes I have to satisfy my own curiosity ha ha. Looked like it was a good way to replenish water while on the move. I intended to use it in the winter while hunting birds. I typically cover many miles along waterways, not having to carry tons of water was the plan.
    It started ok, filtering tap water and hose water in testing it was ok. In the field was another story, efficiency goes downhill fast in cold weather and I found the filter clogged way too fast using it in a fairly clean stream. Pre filtering would help I'm sure but I did not want to carry/fuss with a pre filter in near freezing temps.
    What made me look for something else is 2 things: the filters are really expensive, non serviceable and don't last long filtering non tap water. There is some discrepancy as to where they are made/assembled... not that I care if it works/reliable BUT it does not align with point two (trying to mind the forum rules here).....
    Second, I looked into the "1% for the planet" organization they donate to. I found it very perplexing that a company with a disposable short lived filter would be affiliated with them, along with other things I read on the site, well that's politics I suppose.
    I found on the weight side it is pretty similar to the pump filter I purchased later, the pump while not as neat of a package (and is a filter not purifier) has a re useable, field serviceable filter and is close to the same weight... may not be viable for the office setting though ha ha ha.
    For the performance and gallons filtered VS filter cost I just don't care for the Grayl for my use.

Delkancott likes this.