New Leatherman knives

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by C99c, Apr 21, 2019.

1. C99c

C99c Member

Leatherman is releasing a new line of knives with a new lock and some new multitools called the Free series. Some of the folders look interesting.

https://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools

JV3 likes this.
  2. Clown

Clown Member

There's been some discussion about this series on some if the other forums for a little while now. I think they look pretty cool at first glance. I'd like to try a couple of the models but will wait until they've been out for a while.

C99c likes this.
  3. C99c

C99c Member

I've been looking for a "modern" electrician's pattern folder for a long while now. I think that these may come closer than anything else I've played with.

By modern I mean that I want a pocket clip and OHO main blade to go along with the screwdriver(s). In as light a package as possible, otherwise there's no point in not just carrying a full multitool.

Victorinox, Boker and Spyderco all put out models that come close, but nothing has really clicked for me yet.

4. Kevo

Kevo Member

I got super excited for these at first, but the more I think about them, the more that magnet mechanism gives me pause. I'm hopi g they get well reviewed though, so that I can go buy one lol.

5. C99c

C99c Member

I'm not too worried about the new lock as Leatherman has proven to be pretty conservative with new designs and changes. If they are putting them on the market I suspect that the lock has been well vetted. Plus, even if they were slip joints they would be of interest to me as work knives.

I always assumed that Leatherman would get serious about the knife side of their line up sooner or later and bring out a lot of good options for those of who want a very utilitarian design, produced in the US and priced reasonably. This has started to happen over the last couple of years. The KBs and Juice B2s are great little knives. I don't think we're far off from them offering a really good 3"- 3.5" folder (without additional tools like the Free series has).

Kevo likes this.
  6. Kevo

Kevo Member

Very true. All my other leatherman tools have been top notch, so I wouldn't expect any less. I do worry about stuff like metal filings getting gunked up near the magnet though.

JV3 likes this.
  7. Mudman

Mudman Member

Anyone pick one of these up yet? I'm curious about the magnetic system, and weather it likes to attract metallic particulate?

8. JV3

JV3 Member

i watched one of the pre-release videos where they addressed it...they said it will attract metallic particulate and the joints will feel gritty but there's no way around that unless there's an off/on switch on the magnet...turn it off then clean it then turn it back on.

just gotta live with it since it won't affect function at all...for me i think i'll stick with the non-magnetic version.

C99c and Kevo like this.
  9. Mudman

Mudman Member

I like everything about it, except the magnet. This whole "quick flip" access was never an issue with me. The leatherman signal has been my favorite by far, mostly because of the proper pocket clip.

The magnet thing was a concern for when I'm grinding steel. That metallic dust goes everywhere, and those magnets are surly to attract it. How far does the metallic dust go you might be asking? Well, I've had several heavy grinding sessions, where I somehow get metal dust in my freaking belly button. lol

C99c and JV3 like this.
  10. C99c

C99c Member

I was interested in a couple of the folders, but that kind of admission is telling. I've no interest in constantly having to clean a knife's internals out. I'll pass on these.

JV3 likes this.
  11. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

I’ve got a free p2. So far I love it. It fixed my largest complaints about multitools. Easy to deploy without tearing up my finger nails, all tools available without opening the pliers. The fact that it has a pocket clip and is barely larger than a skeletoolnis bonus.

The magnet isn’t in a spot that it would make anything “gritty”. I’m sure if you spend a lot of time around metal shavings you’d find some on the magnet. Should be fairly easy to clean off. The magnet is “above” the pivot point.

The knives in this series aren’t out yet, but they do seem interesting. I think my biggest issue with them will be their thickness. They keep showing the knife from the front, no rear shots and no width specs on their site.

JV3 and C99c like this.
  12. JV3

JV3 Member

here's the video i watched regarding the metal dust:

13. JV3

JV3 Member

if i'm in the garage or carrying a toolbox around i'd rather use dedicated tools. for me a multitool is a car glovebox or mountain biking tool.

14. Mudman

Mudman Member

I do the same, but there are several small incidents for me where having a multi tool helps. I always carry small knipex pliers and cobras as well. I'm a walking tool box lol.

JV3 likes this.
  15. C99c

C99c Member

That's one thing that keeps popping up in comments about the Free multitools is that you can access the pliers one handed. Does anyone actually have trouble opening any Leatherman one handed? Maybe if the tool is really stiff when new it might take a few openings, but they don't stay tight very long.
    It's my same issue with the sliding pliers on Gerbers. I owned a couple of those when they first came out, but quickly realized that I could open my Leatherman just as fast one handed without the need to snap it open.

I remember starting that video when it first came out but only made it a minute or two in before losing interest. I just finished watching it to hear the stuff about the magnet. Videos like that is why I generally never bother with Bladehq's content anymore.

Good to know about the multitools. I have the same concern about the folders being too thick. I think I'm just going to go back to carrying a small multitool for work instead of chasing a white whale.

JV3 likes this.
  16. C99c

C99c Member

I handled a P2 yesterday.

- the pocket clip
    - the blade
    - the small file tool

Dislikes:
    - the tools don't seem to be held very securely. I can see them possibly popping out, which would suck in a pocket.
    - the price. $100 +. No Leatherman, just no.

About the file tool: while I like it, I wish that they would go back to offering a smaller thickness tool with just a blade and full file, awl and some screwdrivers. To get a fullsize file you have to go to a Wave, Rebar, etc.

One of the best things about the original PSTs was the tool selection. Sure, lots of folks like scissors, but with the blade they aren't necessary. A full file is great to have.

Misers22 and JV3 like this.
  17. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I’ve been chasing the elusive perfect Leatherman for years. You can have all the options which is heavy, bulky and expensive or fewer options that is smaller and lighter but almost as expensive. Sadly there isn’t a middle ground. I went with the Surge because I was done with playing the game. The file is really the best in the lineup IMO.

C99c and JV3 like this.
  18. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

I'm kind of blown away that no one (at least to my knowledge) has created a company that just makes tools/swaps for multi-tools.

Everyone's needs are different, so it's pretty hard to please everyone.

I've been carrying the P2 almost daily since it shipped. I've never had a tool open on me accidentally.

The price point is a bit high on them, but it's as close as I've gotten to a perfect daily multitool. I don't need a full size file on a daily basis, and generally when I do need one I'm near an actual file.

This has hit all of my needs for a daily carry. If I used it for specific tasks with work on a daily basis, I'd probably have a larger multitool with a belt sheath.

C99c and JV3 like this.
  19. C99c

C99c Member

A Surge lives in my go bag in my car. And in the one in my wife's. I think it's the best tool in the lineup, but I generally don't carry one due to its size.
    If I was told to pick one knife/tool/bladed object and walk out the door never to return I'm not 100% saying that it would be a Surge, but the Surge would be the pick to beat for any other competitors.

I'm glad that the P2 works so well for you. I fully understand that I am in the very small minority with my tool preferences, which is why they don't produce what I'm looking for.

I do wish that they would have positioned the P2 as more of a Wingman 2.0 and kept the price around $75 or less. I think that would have been a good spot for it and a fair price point.

JV3 likes this.
  20. Jeremiah Jones

Jeremiah Jones Member

Pass. My old wave has served me well for many years. No reason to fix what's not broken.

Ballenxj likes this.