What did you make today?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Reno Lewis, Dec 23, 2017.

1. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg
    My "almost free" sort of portable fire pit. The 13" warped steel wheel and grill were rescued from a back road trash pile, the rocks were picked up here and there over a 5-6 months, I got the aluminum skillet ( with holes now) for a couple dollars at Goodwill. The 10" carbon steel and #2 potjie are mine.

image.jpeg
    Pile the wheel full of rocks thru the center filling it up...

image.jpeg
    You might have to rearrange a few rocks to "build" a stable surface for your fire pan

image.jpeg
    I tried this with both the # 2 and #3 and it worked with both..

image.jpeg
    Or you can pull the fire pan and put the fire directly in the wheel while still leaving no burn mark on the ground...

image.jpeg
    and use a flat bottom pan or Dutch oven. This will be helpful where there are not established fire rings and such and you can take it with you when you leave, use it again. :)

Zeek, Packrat, STPNWLF and 4 others like this.
  2. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Member

New ambidextrous Epee grip for my coaching weapon. Curved stainless core, thermoplastic spacer layer, and rubber gripping surface. Good immediate feel of the point, and will work for either hand. Will test it out tonight.

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Further to my bear spray system build....

Tested atomization patterns at 150 PSI (I used a brass SureShot canister charged to 150- PSI, with an atomizer nozzle, filled with expired bear spray) vs a reg factory can of spray .

Would test higher pressures but don’t have system capable of holding higher pressures yet.

Noted that at 150 & 200 PSI, the atomization of the bear spray was very fine and the burst hung in the air for almost 15 minutes (no wind) before dispersing . Factory can hung in air for less than 5 minutes before dispersing (larger particle sizes fell to ground faster)

EDIT / UPDATE

looks like the crowd control types have already come up with a system like i was planning......one charge canister, one contents canister and hose/nozzles. Its a lot larger......but damn near what i was planning on....

5_10282086.jpg
    2_10282081.jpg 4_10282083.jpg

I did get a chance to look at high pressure cylinders today - not cheap...., pretty big and heavy.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Zeek, CeeFried and anrkst6973 like this.
  4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

We auto tech guys have had a reusable stainless aerosol cans forever Bushie. It is a canister that unscrews from the trigger/nozzle assembly (steel, brass, couple of o rings. Completely serviceable) you fill it with solution, charge it from the air compressor (150-180 psi) and use it like a paint sprayer. Has a trigger and nozzle instead of push down down button .. Scope out tool supplier websites. Snap-On, Mac, Corwell Tools. Or someone that caters to the automotive painting industry.
    I've used them myself. I know if you just pointed like a pistol and held the trigger down you'd a massive cloud 25 yards long for 2-3 continuous minutes. That's a loonng time in tactical terms of thinking. :)

Zeek likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Was it the sure shot sprayer?

Zeek likes this.
  6. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I truly don't remember now. I want to say the shop got 5-6 of them fron the Mac Tools truck. Every bay had one, used every them everyday so they were quite sturdy.

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Gear Mod to clean up the cordage on my new PR radio (now bear spray) pouches .

Outer sleeve of BattleCord over the two shock cord retainer straps . Cleans them up nicely. I wanted to use adhesive thick wall heat shrink but was out

49605F05-5ED7-4A26-BEB1-A1AA32ACCAB1.jpeg

C7785457-5B2D-4DB1-9BDE-D1F63F0BD96C.jpeg

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Zeek, Reno Lewis, Strigidae and 2 others like this.
  8. IW17

IW17 Member

Got a bit more done on the bar. Hopefully I'll get the roof on and start closing in the back wall this week.

IMG_20190527_174515.jpg

9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

why are there not bear spray CS type grenades for hikers/hunters/anglers etc???

...... a flashbang, filled with a healthy dose of bear spray, with pin and spoon.

encounter bear, pull pin, throw, BOOM/SPRAY/smoke/light...bear freaks out and bugs out.......

flashbang2_f.jpg

Zeek likes this.
  10. IW17

IW17 Member

Got the roof done, and got 99% of the upper trim done. I was one 12" x 30.5" piece short. Figures. Now I just gotta close in the back side and the back halves of the side walls. Then I'll start on the actual bar, and run power out.

IMG_20190602_183023.jpg IMG_20190602_182949.jpg

Zeek, Strigidae, Bushman5 and 2 others like this.
  11. olderguy

olderguy Member

Gave my son a tow behind camper last year and the HOA where he lives has so many damn rules about parking it at the house that he decides to build a tent trailer. This way he can park it in the garage and avoid all their BS. He picked up a utility trailer and bought the tent trailer package. So we built the wooden box (storage so he can just hitch it up and go) with rails to mount the tent on and it fits in the garage and takes up minimal space.
    20190602_180253.jpg

Zeek, OKcherokee, Bushman5 and 2 others like this.
  12. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thats awesome!!!

13. IW17

IW17 Member

Got the walls studded. Tomorrow the T1-11 gets put on. If it doesn't rain Sunday I'll be painting. I'm thinking barn red with white trim. I figure a barn bar would be sorta different. Plus if I hate it it's cheap to slap a different color coat on later.

IMG_20190606_205608.jpg

Zeek, Strigidae, Mudman and 2 others like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

further to my bear spray system build.....found the pressure side of the system bottle i was after.....made an inquiry to EVIKE about a small hi pressure bottle and they got back to me with this:

3000 PSI.........think of a common rail diesel fuel injection rail........higher pressures = finer spray pattern = in this case longer hang time / finer mist bear spray particles hanging in the air. Micro fine particles mean more bear spray inhaled by the bear, more particles in the eyes and lungs, and a more powerful pain reaction and breathing issues experienced by the bruin.....

70789.jpg

now i need to figure a way to fill the secondary bottle , which will hold the bear spray liquid. (im basically going to have empty a magnum can or three of bear spray into the second tank (unscrew the valve and remove the burst disk/over pressure assembly).

higher pressures potentially means i can scale down the size of the unit even more......to even smaller bottles.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  15. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Member

Something simple: Accessibility rail so my wife get from bed to her walker.
    1/2” pipe, elbows, flanges, and baseboard.
    Found out how solid it was when I ran into it moving stuff around.

OKcherokee and Bushman5 like this.
  16. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Made screen inserts to keep the dam leaves out of my cowling vents on the old Ford
    IMG_20190607_195416.jpg

Zeek, Strigidae, IW17 and 2 others like this.
  17. IW17

IW17 Member

Got the T1-11 up. Need to hit a few trim pieces and start painting. Then on to the finishing trim. Probably won't get that done for a week or two. This week is going to be a busy one.

IMG_20190607_203949.jpg IMG_20190607_204007.jpg

Zeek, STPNWLF, DiscoveryLover and 3 others like this.
  18. IW17

IW17 Member

Got more painting done today. Good lord painting T1-11 with a roller and brush sucks. Got the front done, side all rolled and half trimmed. Need to finish the trim work on the side and start the back. Also ran some rope lighting inside. I find this to be the perfect light for a social atmosphere. Plenty bright but not hard on the eyes. No outside pics since it was dark after I finished, but got one with the lights on. IMG_20190612_212048.jpg

STPNWLF, Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  19. erik

erik Member

made a couple of miniature bats on Saturday for the under-10 nephews.
    [​IMG]

24" long white oak at 15 oz and 18" cypress at 5 oz

Bushman5, STPNWLF, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

You could sell those..... drill out the end, pour lead in and seal it. Truckers love tire thumpers

Zeek and erik like this.