Precision Rifle Competiton

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bcamos, May 14, 2019.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Better to go and send a few into the dirt than to never go. :)

Zeek likes this.
  2. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

30 years ago it was a sock wth pinto beans or beads from the craft store. The bag was squeezed or pressed for elevation.

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.... yes this. Don't stress it too much, I bet a dollar to a pinch of turd that there will be less prepared there than you !! Without some time and dope my best advice to you is get in the day before, get zeroed and then shoot out and see what your elevation looks like, jump online and cross check that on some tables and you will be "somewhere" about there. But most importantly have fun, enjoy the range time and use it as a learning experience. I have learned more from being NOT competitive than I have from the times when I have been.

Bcamos likes this.
  4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Sounds like solid advice. My plan is to not be competitive. I know that I’m not in the position to even compete at a match this large so I just want to enjoy it, without being a hindrance to everyone else on my squad.

5. Andy the Aussie

The joy of such matches is that where you are now will not really be a hindrance, your gear is functional, you know how to shoot, from what I have read here you generally don't eat crayons or lick the car windows when you drive, so the worst outcome is simply that you miss the target, it's no hindrance at all to those with you!

I shot IPSC for the first time in 25yrs a couple of weeks ago (and then I had only shot it twice before). They looked at me funny when I strapped on a revolver (and about 40 speedloaders :D) and said I would not be competitive....I explained I was just there to have fun. And I did and surprised a couple ;) Now my six shooter does not allow me to dump rounds to score a hit on a mover but mine still had a nice solid pair of centre hits :D :D

Go enjoy and learn mate !!

Bcamos likes this.
  6. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

If you're an Android user, check out Strelok. Most factory ammo has good chronograph specs on it. I was shooting Winchester factory 6.5CM. I'd never shot at 500 yards before, but punched in the numbers, dialed the turrets, and sent one downrange with solid impact.

Be safe, have fun. It's a learning experience.

7. ny700

ny700 Member

So full disclosure. I shoot a lot. And lately I do a lot of spotting for guys looking to shoot at distance for the first time but I am not some big competition shooter.

1. Don’t stress the shooting community is to receptive of new folks to worry. There will be 10 guys at that match eager to help probably more and many will loan you equipment. As you mentioned the range rifle is worth more than most of our first cars!

2. Getting a solid zero and chrono data is key. I’m going to hook you up with my magnetospeed so you should be good there. Assuming you can find the time to shoot. Since your shooting factory ammo do your best to get one big lot of it this will greatly increase your odds of consistency.

3. Bonus this part of texas is flat at low! So getting a set station pressure (baro and sea level) will be easy for setting up a ballistic app on your phone. As far as an app I like BallisticsARC and ballistic AE.
    Ballistic ARC has been very good and you can pre set like a diagram of your stages and distances which makes managing the competition easier. Ballistic AE is a little easier to set up and it has more standard info on factory loads.

I think someone mentioned earlier the advantage of an app with factory loads listed in it. And this is true to a point, and the 168gr FGMM your shooting has about as much known data as any round out there. But you have to remember once you start pushing 800+ yards little things really matter and a 20fps differential at 1K yards with that round is about 8”. An average 308 is going to lose about 20fps per inch of barrel so what ever that factory load is you need to adjust for barrel length. This all goes back to the need for a chronograph

4. The biggest thing with a match like this is positional shooting while on a clock and wind

You are going to get your dope, consistent ammo, chronograph, good ballistic app and taking notes.

So time management on the stage and have good wind calls is key. Texas is windy. I don’t know triple C range. I don’t know if it’s I’m wide open or not. The range i shoot about 2hours north east of triple C is tricky. The shooting lanes are cut into dense trees and brush. This creates a weird swirl of the wind that almost shifts it 180* back on itself at the longer ranges. The people there will help you dopenthe wind. Just watch. As shooters get ready make a wind call in your head and then watch and see where they are missing left or right. If you have binoculars bring them in many cases they are better than a spotting scope.

Also watch the other shooters as far as how they are getting set up. Although there is shooting probe your going to be shooting off baracades and obstacles. Getting used to being in odd positions and doing it quickly (again there is a shot clock) is the difference in this style of comp. gone are the days of a bipod and sand/rice/rear bag. What guys are carrying are various bags not for the rifle but to stuff behind knees and under arms to solidify your position when oddly crouched on a barricade that is just to short to stand behind. You can practice this at home. Or in your back yard. Just start walking up to everything like it was the barricade and get behind it to shoot. Coffee table, stool, a chair. Step stool, each individual rung of a ladder. And at the various heights and angles see how you fit, see where your not stable.

Check out midway USA their line of support bags are solid for the money with out paying $100 for a cordura bean bag. Things like wiebads are great. The advantage of their wontons and off bags is they grip 2x4s and odd baracaids and allow you to really push on the rifle. You can get creative to make some type of sand sock that can do about the same thing. Heck a small slightly deflated beach ball will worknlikenthe pump pillow to stuff behind a knee or under an arm for positional shooting and you can get them at the dollar store.

Bcamos and Zeek like this.
  8. ny700

ny700 Member

The area you are giving up the most to others is the 308. The 6 and 6.5 creeds and the PRCs are just more forgiving in the wind

So make sure you have a note book to keep tracking what’s going on

For like $40 you can get the weather flow wind meter for your phone. It’s not a kestrel but it’s darn close enough.

The other thing you may not be used to out here since you just moved is mirage. If it’s hot the mirage will be so thick you have to dial way back on the magnification. If it’s in the 90’s by mid day that mirage will force you to dial back your magnification to 12x - 14x But read up on reading wind with mirage. It’s something That can help at the longer ranges

Zeek and Bcamos like this.
  9. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

So here's where my previous cheapness/ignorance has shot me in the foot. My optic is only 3-15 which I had good reason for selecting, since the reviews of the same optic in 5-25 were saying that the image at 25x wasn't the best, and most people say 15x is fine for 1000yds. However...not really knowing any better, I bought the SFP version instead of the FFP version. At the time, I didn't understand how this would limit me. I understood the differences between FFP and SFP, but I didn't think the difference would mean much to me. I'm sure I'll do fine with it for now, but I'll just have to keep the magnification cranked at all times.

It's also MOA since that's what I'm used to. But my understanding now is that the majority of PRS shooters use MIL.

Zeek likes this.
  10. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

The range looks like it's really open, so that should help with the wind being more natural rather than tunneling

upload_2019-5-15_8-9-29.png

upload_2019-5-15_8-10-4.png

upload_2019-5-15_8-10-56.png

upload_2019-5-15_8-13-13.png

Zeek likes this.
  11. ny700

ny700 Member

The MOA vs MIL debate issue is a constant.
    Obviously either is fine. There are some advantages for MILs the biggest you may find at the event is that it is likely the measurement most guys will be using. Make sure if some one is calling wind adjustments that you know if they are speaking in MIL or MOA

As far as equipment to bring I think your good anything not fixed my that kit is probably ending your day plus others will have lots of tools and even slate firing pins or extractors

Bring extra magazines in case you discover one doesn’t work. You tend to cycle the bolt faster and harder in this atmosphere then you do just playing at the range. Don’t be surprised if a mag proves to be temperamental.

You may want like a plus 2 carrier they are cheap and Velcro tonthe stock to hold a couple rounds on the ready

Make sure once you figure out your dope even if your running a ballistic app that you write it all down including wind calls Incase your phone craps out.

It’s also a good idea to do it in yards and meters. A lot of these comps will f with you my putting a known distance target out there at say 300 meters when everything else is listed in yards

Bcamos and Zeek like this.
  12. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Right. My main concern is people calling out in MILs and me not understanding what they're saying lol

Zeek likes this.
  13. Andy the Aussie

I almost want to come and shoot this with you :D We don't shoot similar organised matches here. All much more "civilised" !!

Strigidae and Bcamos like this.
  14. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Do it!

15. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Picked up a PVC data patch for $12 over on Snipers Hide. I figured it might come in handy and I already have the velcro section on my buttstock for the flag patch, so this will fit right on there.

[​IMG]

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  16. Strigidae

Here is some useful advice. IF you ever miss say:
    Wind gust at the target.
    Damn parallax.
    Ohhh i forgot the Coriolis effect again!
    Ill bet my torque setting are off.
    That round felt odd when i loaded it.
    And more...

Zeek and Bcamos like this.
  17. Strigidae

Or even better bust out Eotvos effect

Zeek likes this.
  18. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

HAHA I'll have to keep these written under my hat.

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  19. Strigidae

When is your match?

20. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

June 8th.

Just got my data patch in. It’s a pretty neat reusable tool. I think it’ll be helpful once I get some information to actually fill in haha.

59D673AB-2BAD-4DCF-9007-1068ECF64CBC.jpeg

Zeek and Strigidae like this.