AR-47 Project.

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Paycheck, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

So, I have a project in mind: I want to make an AR-15 that works like an AK-47. Why? Because America!! Seriously, though, I mix Coke and Pepsi sometimes, I don't really have a reason sometimes for my projects other than mere curiosity. That being said, a lot of people like features of AK (cheap ammo, more power) and AR (ergonomics, mounting options etc.)
    There are 2 platforms I want to marry that attempt to mix those two guns, but do them in 2 different ways: KS-47 and PWS.

PWS has a long stroke piston system, much like AK. I think piston system is beneficial if you want to shoot cheap 7.62x39 ammo (otherwise what's the point, right?). The downside is that it needs hybrid mags that are not as available, don't feed as reliably, and usually cost a bunch.

KS-47 works with AK-mags, but runs on DI.

Putting them together is a different issue altogether since it's hard to tell with PWS what part is proprietary and what isn't. They are kinda secretive about that (if anyone has any experience with disassembling them, your help is appreciated). I found a machinist around who agreed to take on the project should we have some modifications needed (pretty sure we will).

Why not just buy an AK?
    For one, it seems like a fun project to me.
    Two, I have a 300BLK 16" upper I from PWS that I can't sell, so I'll have some parts to play with.
    Three, I like the idea of breaking up upper and lower for transportation, I like flattop rails, and I like AR buffer system.

Anyways, if you guys have some input on how to go about it, your advice is welcome.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

So to my knowledge there are about five manufacturers that offer a mix of what you are looking for:

PWS
    PSA
    CMMG
    BRS
    RRA

That being said, each is different in minor details. The PWS is a long stroke piston like you said, and feeds from AR style magazines that are not cheap. PSA, BRS and RRA offer DI rifles that accept AK style mags. CMMG is built on an AR10 receiver, larger bolt and the like and accepts AK mags. All the firearms that accept AK mags have had or still do have feed issues with the AR bolt face dragging on feed lips. I looked into this a while ago and decided to wait. It is a great idea but you will spend more money and time compared to the owning one of each. I probably will revisit the idea, especially since BRS offers an 80% lower. If you want to do it still, do it, its the cool factor that really will set the build apart. All I will say before I start ranting on calibers and barrel lengths.

Paycheck likes this.
  3. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I have a 300BLK 16" PWS upper that I'm not using and was unable to sell. I think I will use that as a starting point for researching. At the moment, I want to remove barrel and gas system to see if it can be mounted on milspec stripped upper with few modifications. If I can manage that, it will be a matter of marrying PWS gas system with KS-47 upper. As for the bolt, I've seen people modify the BCG, and the machinist I found agreed to help me mill out the bolt carrier. But I'm taking it slow for now.

Zeek likes this.
  4. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

I have never been a fan of 300blk anything longer than a SBR/Pistol format. Its meant to be suppressed out of a shorter barrel. Just my $.02. That being said, you could probably do a barrel swap and use the KS or BRS lower. The BRS upper is of the side charging format so would be more work than you probably want.
    The alternative to all of this is of course the M90 if you can find one. Zastava built AK, on an RPK receiver, 18" .223 barrel and the plastic mag well. Its on my list of near future projects. Or a beryl or like rifle. After I do my bolt gun of course.

5. Solo

Solo Member

This is the coolest ar-47 I’ve seen yet.

6. CWB

CWB Member

That's basically my Sig 556 classic.

7. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I wonder how dirty they get, being DI guns shooting 7.62x39 ammo. Obviously they sell, so can't be that bad, but I prefer PWS because they are piston system.

Solo likes this.
  8. Solo

Solo Member

Not even close. Does the sig swap calibers and magwells? Use any standard barrel in a quick change capable upper? Take various 9mm mags including a Glock magwell? Use AK magazines?
    Does the sig do 9mm, 5.56, 300 black, 6.8spc, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, 5.45x39 or any wildcat that will fit those magazines?

Full 30 will not embed here. Link provided

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDEzMTM1/windham-weaponry-mcs-or-modular-carbine-system