The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

look what i scored from the Vancouver City Engineers Archives! A 1928 extremely detailed Topo map of the Garibaldi / Cheakamus area.

more detail than modern topo maps! going to get this printed in hi resolution on plastic map material.

1928 Survey

25 MB JPEG, click for full size and then use CTRL and mouse wheel to zoom in

[​IMG]

I've never sen this much detail on modern topo maps (this bugs me,........we have the technology, GPS, SAT-View etc) . Respect for the early Surveyors who hiked this brutal terrain with wooden transits and brass survey instruments, plus old school canvas gear.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Oh that is just AWESOME! I would love to be able to find maps like that of my area. I might have to go around and see if any of the city departments have an archive like that.

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Fiddleheads!!! Best pickled snack on the planet!

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Nice.

Pretty interesting area to explore.

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Especially spicy!!

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Making a hard core early morning push for the base of The Barrier tomorrow (Sunday). Elevated temps here have melted all the snow in the Cheakamus/Whistler mountain ranges. (except for some local glaciers)

going in with stripped down gear i the L.R.R.P.R. webbing, along my previous route. Well aware that the local bear and cougar populations are out in the woods in full swing now.

Klynesquatch, Se7eN and Zeek like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

May 12 , 2019, sunny, warm, high UV index, "The Return To The Barrier, Test New Gear, Get Mocked By The Barrier Again Tour..."

Had planned to get up at 0600 hours and hit the trail head for The Barrier early, to avoid the sun (i burn easy) and heat (stay cool - hike fast). Damn cats made it difficult to get out of bed......both were sleeping long cat style along side of me. Finally got up 0900 and made a quick trip to the Tilley store to get a pair of their MA21 cargo shorts. Lightweight, fast dry, lots of stretch for bushwacking and lifetime warranty. Expensive as hell...almost $182 CAD, but they honor their warranty 110%. At some point i'm ordering their Heritage series.....the Safari shorts and shirt in khaki........always like that style.

stopped at the Starbucks besides Tilley and got a coffee. The cashier was super happy that i had a ton of change on me, and exchanged bills for all my change (like $30). Didn't charge me for my coffee!

got home loaded up the L.R.R.P.R. webbing. had planned to go in with a stripped down load out but decided that due our "variable" weather and other factors, went in heavy with a full load out.

Traffic was light heading up the Sea To Sky Hwy. I was riding Tailgunner behind a fully loaded dual sport biker. Guy had lightning reflex's and skill.....at one point a SUV crossed the hwy in front of him (less than 20') and we were both going 100KM/h. Biker made a HARD brake application, the bike nosedived and at the same time he looked in his mirrors. I blocked traffic in his lane as he released the brakes, leaned hard and rode around the *******! idiot SUV driver who had now panicked and stopped in the middle of the hwy. Biker got into the right lane and gave me a wave and a salute. I rode tailgunner with bud until about 40km's later where i turned off to the Rubble Creek trailhead.

late spring/ early summer temps have raised the creek levels.......

IMG_5638.JPG

in your woods, creeping......(but I'm the person you want to run into.....), rocking my new Henschel mesh Aussie hat. I'll probably order another one, slightly smaller...this one is a bit loose. Here I am modeling a classic German Army Flecktarn vest, along with SORD/Tyr Tactical/HSGI/JayJayBreconUK miltary webbing kit. (L.R.R.P.R. - Long range Recreational Pacing Rig), also wearing my new Tilley MA21 cargo shorts. Aren't my knees sexy? :D
    IMG_5660.JPG

some kinda yoga pose?

IMG_5670.JPG
    hammered hard along the river and then made my way up to the forest....this meandering stream never gets old......
    IMG_5680.JPG

testing the new HYDRAPAK collapsable water bottle.....sorry @5col , but this bad boy kicks ass on your WHIRL PAKS......:p Brutally tough TPU construction, rolls up to nothing, and weighs almost nothing. USA/CAN/EU certified. BPA free.......temp extremes = no prob....and a LIFETIME WARRANTY (no questions asked)
    IMG_5681.JPG

2 Liter size....(other sizes ranging from 4L to 10L available)

IMG_5682.JPG IMG_5683.JPG
    there is three of these hypalon loops on the bottle.
    IMG_5685.JPG

one could EASILY put this into service as an IV drip, or wound irrigation bladder. IMG_5686.JPG

240lbs (me and gear) stomping on the 90% full bottle
    IMG_5687.JPG

keeping my pace up, made my way up thru the semi open forest that has grown on top of 100's of feet of rubble from the 1800's when the The Barrier blew out.

found remnants of a tarp tent shelter deep in the woods IMG_5688.JPG

NASTIES! Devils Club fleshing out with nasty stinging leaves IMG_5689.JPG

I'm in the middle of Grizzly country (and other bears and cougars) BIG-TIME. Head on a swivel the entire time i hiked. This Scat pile is less than a day old. Its also near the bear den I spotted last time.
    IMG_5690.JPG

old survey marker carved into a tree.... IMG_5691.JPG IMG_5692.JPG

my blaze marks from last time up here are healing nicely. I smeared the sap all over the blaze to speed up the healing. IMG_5693.JPG

on and up thru the forest
    IMG_5694.JPG

reached the last point I got to last time i was here
    IMG_5695.JPG
    started up the rubble field as the river access was too overgrown
    IMG_5697.JPG IMG_5698.JPG

Switchblade, Datilite, jdh and 11 others like this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the massive rubble flow , hundreds of meters deep, 3/4 of a KM wide, now covered with trees and moss. Yet underground are many streams and channels of water that feed the forest streams I hiked past already.

this is grizzly / bear / cougar / bobcat / lynx/ yote/ fox country. I could hear a fox yip near the darker green treeline. Birds chirped and flew about. Thankfully no grizz or other bears. Or cougars (that i knew of.....)
    IMG_5700.JPG

closer and closer i got to The Barrier. Yet the closer i got....the further i was from it.......I was fighting dense overgrowth along the way IMG_5701.JPG

stopped for 10 minutes to cool down with a full field expedient bandana shower all over. I am really liking that Hydrapak bottle.
    IMG_5703.JPG

old trail in spots was so smooth a baby could hike it. Yet in other spots you needed a freaking chainsaw. IMG_5712.JPG
    the massive lave flow extrusion on the SE side of The Barrier. 1000' tall, folded over in spots, just amazing to look at.
    IMG_5713.JPG
    this crap started pissing me off....but hacking at it with a blade would RAPIDLY deplete me of even more energy. Another day another time I will clear the old Engineers trail. For now I had to shove, force, step on and over and under this crap. Scraped to hell i got.
    IMG_5715.JPG

looking back down the mountain range and into the valley IMG_5716.JPG

the rubble field got steeper , punctuated by dense undergrowth every 100' feet or so. Fast Slow Fast Slow Fast Slow......was my pace. IMG_5719.JPG

the trees changed to higher alpine trees, clinging low to the ground. IMG_5720.JPG

blatant art shot of a knife on a log on moss covered rubble flow/ IMG_5721.JPG
    so close.
    IMG_5722.JPG
    step on the undergrowth, walk over it, repeat. Get scratched and whipped along the way.
    IMG_5723.JPG

old tin can, IMG_5727.JPG
    the lava flow mountain is just spectacular
    IMG_5728.JPG
    in the crack of a dead tree, life goes on
    IMG_5730.JPG

another open rubble field, on and up/. the rubble flow at this point is pushing 250 meters depth.

IMG_5731.JPG
    massive debris chute on the lava surge, about 30 - 40' wide
    IMG_5733.JPG
    still going up
    IMG_5734.JPG
    looking back again. just wow.
    IMG_5741.JPG
    the rocks may have moss on them, and they may have been here forever.....but you walk on them...they shift.......the entire time i was on the rubble flows, it was a symphonic musical of klinks and klunks. Like glass and crystal and deep bass drums.
    IMG_5742.JPG

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Switchblade, Datilite, jdh and 12 others like this.
  9. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Keep em Coming brother!!!

Bushman5 likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Get back to work Yo! :D

Se7eN likes this.
  11. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

I took some time off.

Sooooooooo where dem pics? o_O

Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  12. Packrat

Packrat Member

Great report,such a stylish woodsman haha,food and cutlery next?....

Bushman5 likes this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

some more pics up. :)

more loading

Reno Lewis likes this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

looking at Rubble Creek and back towards HWY 99 Sea To Sky and the valley

IMG_5747.JPG

the rubble field , Rubble Creek, and the lava flow mountain below The barrier
    IMG_5748.JPG

lava mountain and debris slide chute
    IMG_5749.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG
    so close yet so far......
    IMG_5752.JPG
    another rubble field slope , climbing up again.
    IMG_5753.JPG
    debris shoot closeup
    IMG_5755.JPG
    old campfire
    IMG_5758.JPG
    lava mountain just towering over the creek. Average tree height between 150 - 200'
    IMG_5759.JPG
    another debris chute
    IMG_5761.JPG
    folded layered lava. Basalt i think?
    IMG_5762.JPG
    harder lava surrounded by eroding debris fields
    IMG_5766.JPG
    lots of these openings in the lava mountain....would make great shelter.....
    IMG_5767.JPG
    old survey marker ?
    IMG_5771.JPG
    Hydrapak scrunched up for storage
    IMG_5772.JPG

love these layers
    IMG_5773.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Switchblade, Datilite, jdh and 8 others like this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

more trip report SOON!

Kevin likes this.
  16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

That is just an unbelievable visual feast....dare I saw EPIC dude! Don't get eaten alright? Not sure these modern cameras would survive the decades of exposure until,some intrepid soul finds it. ;). Oh yeah...something that's whip fast but won't wear you out for blasting thru the alder twigs and thorny Devils club.......what is it? Oh yeah! A $14.00 USD machete would do that! :D.

Hawkeye5, Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Gotta machete, nice Esee Lite , but nope.....I’d be knackered by the time I got a 1/4 of the way, if I was hacking .......

Going to do more trips, but with the silky saw , machete and pruners. I plan on clearing and marking the old engineers trail.

Zeek and anrkst6973 like this.
  18. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

We saw those water bags at REI this weekend in Dallas. When I got out of the Doctor office.

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

you all right? :confused:

20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

trail.........

IMG_5774.JPG

to my right looking up and down
    IMG_5775.JPG
    so many little openings.....
    IMG_5777.JPG
    east side of The Barrier
    IMG_5779.JPG
    old boots getting dirty
    IMG_5782.JPG

yea thats it, im done......knackered. Time for a brew up and food
    IMG_5783.JPG

boiling water for coffee and using the excess heat out the chimney to boil water for my "MRE" IMG_5792.JPG
    MRE
    IMG_5793.JPG

boil and soak. IMG_5794.JPG

after 10 minutes of hydrating, I poured the water back into the MKettle SAS boiler. Waste not . IMG_5796.JPG
    pasta went down in 1 minute. Cahsed that with super sweet hot chocolate
    IMG_5797.JPG IMG_5798.JPG
    2 of these
    IMG_5799.JPG
    looking back
    IMG_5801.JPG

back down the rubble flow......2 hours from brew up spot back to the truck IMG_5804.JPG
    little stream
    IMG_5813.JPG

wet moss.
    IMG_5819.JPG

Rubble Creek crashing and cascading, after being filtered thru 3/4KM thick lava. IMG_5820.JPG

Got back to the truck and brewed up more coffee in the MKettle for the drive home. I was freaking beat.

Next weekend will be not so hard core in terms of pace and physical exertion.....I'll be bringing the Silky Big Boy saw and machete and flagging tape to clear and mark the old Engineers trail. I plan this to be a two day event......go as far as i can the first day, and on the second clearing/marking trip, clear and mark a trail to the base of The Barrier. Once the trail is cleared....should only take 2 hours at most to get right the base.

while i was up there I could hear tons of lava debris breaking free from The Barrier.....The entire wall creaks and groans and lets loose falling rock ranging from baseball to car size. Thundering and crashing down the existing scree field......its quite terrifying actually. The rockfall not so much....the creaks and groans of The Barrier wall though......its gonna blow soon.......and make the 1800's event look like nothing........

the creek drowns out the sound of the rocks falling, but it was pretty intense.

I don;t know why I'm so addicted to the risk of being up here.......its a death sentence if The Barrier goes.......

its raw, visceral, and just intense the entire time your there.

Can't describe how calm I was the entire time............

everything else now in life just seems really mundane and boring. I drifted my 25,000 KG GVW tandem axle truck sideways for about 60' today at 100KM/H , just to feel a little alive.

how am I going to top this latest journey?

do we we ever find the ultimate Nirvana in our outdoor pursuits?

fin

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Switchblade, Datilite, jdh and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.