If you didn't already like the guy behind the Barkley Marathon...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C99c, Dec 30, 2018.

1. C99c

C99c Member

2. JV3

JV3 Member

i always wondered which is harder - that or the goruck heavy or htl?

C99c likes this.
  3. C99c

C99c Member

I don't know. I've only done one Goruck event and it was fun, but more like a "team sport" if you will.
    Ultra-running, even though some may run together and there are support teams sometimes, is an individual sport.

A lot more folks do the Goruck stuff so statistically there should be more finishers than at the Barkley, but Laz's race also attracts a lot of world class runners. Who usually don't finish.

So, basically I'm saying that I just had way too much trouble convincing my phone that I was spelling 'attracts' correctly and that I like hanging out with runners because the girls are usually hot, often get naked at some point and are prone to walking around nude post run at the trailhead. And they drink good whiskey. Sometimes while walking around nude post run at the trailhead. Hope that helps. Lol.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    JV3 likes this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Member

These benefits really can't be over-stated.

JV3, Bushman5 and C99c like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

The Choke & Puke Hammer Ride on the North Shore of BC Canada. Not sure if it still exists....it was an off the books EPIC mountain bike (early early 90's, NO suspension) event, at night on the just started Mountain bike trails on the North Shore. Start at the bottom of Mountain Highway (same place these guys rip down) Drink a beer, ride up the 1st switchback, drink a beer, second switch, drink a beer, 3rd, drink a beer, 4th, 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th switchback , drink beers. Get to the top, smoke a J and ride down the trails at night....with a 1 watt incan bike light (good ol BLT lights)

every crash, drink a beer.

get to the bottom after 3 hours......drink a beer, smoke a J and ride back up and do it again.

by sunrise there was some seriously farcked up riders.

at that point we would all ride from North van to South Vancouver (about 20 klicks) and go to RILEYS diner for breaky. Chinese guy fed us like kings for cheap.

6. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Id say that. With an HTL its a team. Everything is easier with a team.

C99c and JV3 like this.
  7. C99c

C99c Member

For a second year in a row no one finished the Barkley. I had friends there supporting a runner and they said that it was more like a massacre than a marathon this year.

ZeRo, JV3, Strigidae and 1 other person like this.
  8. wilas101

wilas101 Member

This is a question I will NEVER be able to answer from personal experience because I hate running.

Maybe it's time to take up running......

JV3 and Delkancott like this.
  9. jeeter

jeeter Member

Personally, I want Hillary's chief of staff's ex-husband to run for president, with former AG Eric Holder as the VP candidate.

Their slogan would be Weiner Holder.:p

Rich275 and IW17 like this.
  10. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

If this goes political itll be shut down. Stay on topic friends.

11. Byrdman

Byrdman Member

Kinda wanna see Matt Graham and some other members of the Hurache Gang take this on- white folk though, not the Tarahumara, we know they'd come looking outrun people and chew bubblegum, and they just ran out of bubblegum:D

12. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

From my understanding of the Barkley, it's not just how good you can run but also route find. There have been world class ultrathoners that got their ass handed to them by lesser folks on this race.

JV3, C99c, ZeRo and 1 other person like this.
  13. C99c

C99c Member

Every year that happens. Some don't make it through the first loop.
    The race is in the perfect area at the perfect time of year. The terrain and range of weather you'll encounter can be brutal. Up and down Tennessee ridges for a hundred- ish miles. 80 degrees at start and in the teens on the ridges at night with rain and sleet this year.

And make sure you find the books and tear out the correct pages. And don't lose them or forget the time limit for each loop.

Which you can keep up with on your Laz provided watch with the official race time. They have a reputation for breaking sometimes before the runner gets out of site. It breaks? You lose it? Too bad.

Also, you have to be a pretty decent runner. And you only get an hour's notice before the race starts. Might be 2 am, might be lunch.

It should be noted that even though no one finished last year Laz still saw fit to make some route changes, including stacking a couple or three hard climbs back to back eliminating the chance to grab your breath that runners had in years past. So there's that.

Strigidae and JV3 like this.