PR4 Modified Handle

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Knifehunt, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Knifehunt

Knifehunt Member

I had my PR4 up for sale due to the things handle, but I decided give the knife another chance. I love the blade, but the handle is just too thin.

I found some really nice material to use as spacers for the handle. I traced out the spacers, and cut them out. I then drilled the holes for the mounting hardware. Well as I assumed the hardware was too short. I looked everywhere, but could not find anything locally. Finally I had to make my own. Picked up some 1/4" dia steel spacers at the hardware store. They were already drilled out to the perfect size for a 8/32" tap. I cut the rod to size then tapped them out. Everything went together perfectly. I cut the liners to size, and was ready to install the hardware.

The knife is now perfect! The difference is night and day. I love this knife now.

I also just finished 20° bevel on her, took it up to 15,000 grit with paste compound. She does some mean curls now!
    Here's a few better pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. olywa

olywa Member

Sweet! I like my PR4, but I'd like it more if the handle were thicker. Maybe some industrious soul will make an upgrade kit one day. I know TKC makes a handle set, but I don't want to give up the stock mountain texture.

Jeremiah Jones and Knifehunt like this.
  3. Knifehunt

Knifehunt Member

Just put liners on, and you will love the grip. I like the stock scales as well that's why I went the liner route. The only tools you need are a razor knife, and drill.

Jeremiah Jones likes this.
  4. olywa

olywa Member

May have to do that. I like how yours turned out.

5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Knifehunt
    I would have sold my PR4 within a few days had I not buys a replacement handles st the same time. I do like the texture but IMO it felt almost like a toy knife how thin and then awkward it made my handles feel.

6. Knifehunt

Knifehunt Member

It's amazing what a couple 1/8" liners will do. It fills the hand nicely, and feels great. I was going to get the TKC scales but I'm not a fan of G10.

Jeremiah Jones and RocketmanDane like this.
  7. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Nice work! If something aint right make it right. Thats the great thing about ESEEs. Easily modded and great aftermarket parts support.

8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Knifehunt
    I kinda have a orange addiction so the orange TKC handles were the perfect chose for me :)

I also bought my dad one. I will have to get some more feedback on what he has been thinking and adding the liners will likely be my go to option if the handles are to thin for him

9. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

All you need for liners is a DVD case. I have used several for liners....just take of the scales,lay them on the case and trace them out, cut them with an xacto knife or razor blade...use xbox cases for toxic green and blueray cases for blue liners...

10. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

Beautiful work!

11. Knifehunt

Knifehunt Member

Thank you very much. I should make some up, and offer them for sale. It would be a pretty big investment to start up, and likely would not make my investment money back,lol

12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Best way to do it is NOT by hand.....

Get a laser cutter outfit to laser measure the liner dimensions, then plot out on a sheet of plastic and laser cut them. The initial small cost will save hundreds of hours of manual cutting and imperfections. All you have to do is bag them up with your logo and sell them

The Marsh Gorilla and Knifehunt like this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Your probably looking at less than $700 including a stack of 1/8” plastic in all colours.

Not sure how many liners you would get out of a 4’ x 8’ sheet , (probably like 500)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  14. Spadi_5

Spadi_5 Member

I bought some scales from TKC for my PR4, they felt ok but seemed a bit too thick for me so I put the stock scales back on. Last year I decided to put some liners in my JG5 and wow! Made a world of difference. Now I want to do the same with my PR4. 95341EB4-0196-4369-A2CD-EB565F1336CA.jpeg F5ABD5A4-5E3B-4EA7-961C-A234F793121F.jpeg

15. Justin Dean Reichenbach

Justin Dean Reichenbach Member

I would like some orange liners on my Gibson Axe, JG5, and PR4. I need red for my smoke double edge Esee 4.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
    Spadi_5 likes this.
  16. ASH

ASH Member

I think the colored plastic notebook covers used to be a popular material to use. If you want to make your own.

Spadi_5 likes this.
  17. Spadi_5

Spadi_5 Member

That’s not a bad idea!

18. Justin Dean Reichenbach

Justin Dean Reichenbach Member

Were you able to reuse your stock JG5 hardware (screws etc) when you added the liners? I have some .031 liners coming for my JG5, PR4, Esee 4, and Gibson axe. I know you need JG5 screws for the PR4 if using .030 liners.

Spadi_5 likes this.
  19. Spadi_5

Spadi_5 Member

Yes, the JG5 hardware was plenty long enough for the liners I used.