Camp Axe suggestions

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by bax229, Mar 22, 2019.

1. bax229

bax229 Member

Hey hey...Looking for some suggestions on a good camp axe. I've been doing a little research and I think a 20" handle would work for me. Not gonna be chopping logs, just splitting some small firewood and clearing some limbs around camp. I want something that's quality and gonna last. Swedish?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Zeek likes this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

H and B. Gransfor. Those two are the ones ive used in that length and ive been happy with them. Id like to try an estwing someday but with 5 axes the desire is very low.

Wisdom, Hammer and bax229 like this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Member

I've had a Husqvarna 'Multi-Purpose' axe for years and been very happy with it. It was actually made by the Swedish axe maker "Hultafors" and they are quite good quality for the price. 26" handle. Great for felling/limbing/moderate axe work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  4. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I'm really wanting a similarly sized ax too. I have a CRKT Chogan Hawk with a 19" handle that I love and a few 28" boys axes from estate sales. For me Im thinking a 22" would be perfect. It seems that 22" is kind of a bastard size. Most come in 19" or 24". I did find a Council Tools Velvicut Hudson Bay with 22" on bcusa for $115. That's a good price and still for sale. I wanted it BAD but no funds. Hes interested in trades too. I can pass on contact info if interested. I dont think swedish vs American really matters as long as it's not Chinese lol and you find the right length and weight for you...

bax229 likes this.
  5. bax229

bax229 Member

All great suggestions, thanks guys!

Strigidae likes this.
  6. ASH

ASH Member

My local TSC is carrying Husqvarna axes now, I have wanted that 26" for a couple years but they want more than I am willing to pay at TSC.

bax229 likes this.
  7. JV3

JV3 Member

we have a similar use case and i actually find that i like my fiskars x15 chopping axe more than my gransfors bruks scandinavian axe because i mostly split logs at camp more than anything else. the head shape is better suited for splitting but it's still narrow enough to chop decently...and for under $50 shipped i have it stashed in my camp that i frequent the most. in the unlikely event someone finds it and steals it it's not that expensive to replace immediately.

The Marsh Gorilla, ASH and bax229 like this.
  8. Hammer

Hammer Member

Yeah, seems like prices have gone up on them. I think I payed around $50 for mine at the time, which was great price for the quality.

Zeek and bax229 like this.
  9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The local hardware store sells Collins brand and id imagine it could be found all over. If your willing to do some edge work with a file they have a boys axe thats pretty close to what youre looking for.

mtngoat likes this.
  10. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I know this maybe blasphemy but I have been using the crap out of a Cold Steel Trail Boss for years, I have beaten the crap out of this thing and its still going. Don’t get me wrong I love my Swedish and Italian Axes and a huge Collins fan.

11. ASH

ASH Member

I didn't realize that fiskars has a axe in that size. Fiskars will definitely get the job done. They don't have the best feel to me but they work.

I find that a 18" or so machete does a better job at clearing limbs for me than an axe or hatchet i don't know what size firewood you are splitting but a hatchet and machete combo may be better for what you want to do.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Zeek, JV3, The Marsh Gorilla and 2 others like this.
  12. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I’ve had the Gerber version of that size for over 10 years and love it. Might not be as pretty as the Swedish options, but it totally gets the jobs done. I eventually picked up their splitting ax 2 for busting up larger whole rounds and the Fiskars 22” machete for clearing limbs mainly because I was impressed with the two axes and the machete’s handle was uniquely more comfortable that others I’ve used.

Misers22, Zeek and JV3 like this.
  13. bax229

bax229 Member

After reading reviews, went with a 20" Wetterlings Outdoor Axe 118. Large enough for 2 hands, but small enough to strap to a pack. Similar to the Gränsfors Bruk Small Forest Axe.

Since 1880 they were hand forged in Sweden by a shop that employed 9 people. Gränsfors Bruk bought the company in 2017, discontinued the brand, and now the forge produces only GB axes. Shame to see a small business disappear. These are hard to find, but some are out there.

14. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Theres one for sale for 120 right now on bcusa
    (A wetterling 118 outdoor ax)

Zeek and bax229 like this.
  15. Hammer

Hammer Member

Nice choice. I have a Wetterlings #106 hatchet and it's excellent.

[​IMG]

16. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

Hammer and IW17 like this.
  17. IW17

IW17 Member

Zeek and Ballenxj like this.
  18. erik

erik Member

my plain jane collins HB (not velvicut) cost less than $40 and works great as a limbing axe 1 handed and will chop pretty decent 2 handed.
    yes, it needs a little attention when it first comes home, but so do most others.
    Condor Greenland is another one that works well once the cheeks are thinned.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  19. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

I'll admit, my GB hatchet was more like $140., but sometimes you just have to splurge when you want the best in a particular item. This one ticked all the boxes for me, starting with a Rockwell hardness of 57, which is basically non existent in most other hatchets, as far as I know. I did an awful lot of research before buying. ;)

20. bax229

bax229 Member

I don't think $140 is that crazy, the GB Wildlife Hatchet is awesome! That's what the ESEE Cleaver costs.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Ballenxj likes this.