Newish To Firearms- need advice

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by OutdoorsFamilyMan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Kevo

Kevo Member

I've carried the G43 for a few years now and have had no complaints. The new 43x and 48 are also worth a look. The Shield has always been a popular and reliable option. Personally, I'd be wary of the P365. This is only my opinion, but the early qc and warranty issues that sig had with that gun, along with the whole P320 drop and boom debacle, has made me pretty gun shy to trust much of what is coming out of their factory nowadays.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. IW17

IW17 Member

I've been carrying the lc9s since they came out. Sold my lc9 since the trigger was awful but the striker fire version solved that. Honestly I'm a glock guy but I can't justify the price difference when the ruger shoots, feels and carries just as well for a lot less. Not sure where you are in ohio but I'm in the akron area. If you wanted to meet half way and go shooting one weekend I'd be more than happy to help. Plus it's always nice if you get to meet another forum member.

Zeek, The Marsh Gorilla and Kevo like this.
  3. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I'm really thinking of this setup...is the more expensive lower worth the difference in price difference Screenshot_20190301-202340_Chrome.jpg

IW17 likes this.
  4. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

It's a much more solid stock, has a lock so it won't wiggle around on the gas tube. It is also quite a bit heavier so it depends on what you are trying to do. Just my 2 cents, I've built quite a few ARs and have ordered from PSA a few times it's my experience every time I've ordered from them it has taken forever to receive the parts, over a month in a couple of cases. You might take a look at Primary Arms. They have Great Prices and really quick shipping.

5. Rick R

Rick R Member

The more expensive lower has a stock that has storage and a better cheek weld. If you are going to put a more powerful scope on your rifle you might like it better. The less expensive lower uses a simple stock. Cheaper, lighter and narrower buttpad. If you plan on a red dot sight or low powered variable scope it should be just fine. The upper looks good on paper, I’ve paid $300 for just a barrel.

+1 on Palmetto being slow to ship. I also ordered an upper from them and they sent the wrong one in a box labeled as what I’d ordered. When I called their customer support line I ended up talking to two people that basically didn’t give a crap “no more of what you ordered in stock, send it back, you’ll eventually get a refund, Yawn!”. I ended up keeping it and it runs fine, but it’s my one and only from them. I did order a SIG Romeo 5 from them last month and shipping seemed quicker. I’ve had much better luck with DSG, but they are a bit more expensive.

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  6. ASH

ASH Member

Yes PSA is slow, it took 2 weeks or so to get my order at the end of the year, I have heard of others taking longer. I guess customer service is one of the places they scrimp on to keep prices low. They probably don't have enough people to keep up with the demand and you have to wait for your order to be assembled.

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  7. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

So its looking like this may not happen this year...got a letter from IRS stating i was "randomly selected for further review " and not to try contacting them sooner than 60 days. They may take longer as well as keep some or all of our refund....all this bs over a couple thousand dollars owed to family of 5 whose total household income is under 50k...its sickening and disappointing. We had counted on paying a few urgent expenses with it so there may be a fire sale coming up. I'm pretty sure we are gonna have to cancel this years vacation too...bastids

8. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

Sorry to hear that!! Hope they resolve it quick for you. Just an update on Palmetto State Armory, 2days ago I got a post card from them stating the amount that I had spent with them last year and that since they do not collect Washington State Sales Tax that they were also sending the information to the State for tax purposes. I order a lot of stuff and I have never seen one these before. I'm actually not as upset that they are doing this but more so that they sent a document through the mail with my address and the exact amount I spent on gun parts with them on a post card for anyone to see. I feel like this is a huge breach of privacy!! I will never order from them again!!

IW17 and JV3 like this.
  9. patrickknight

patrickknight Member

If I had 1k to spend I would buy a Glock 19 and spend the rest on training.

Sorry to hear about your IRS troubles :(

junglebum likes this.
  10. junglebum

junglebum Member

Unbelievable dude.... how bought auditing the millionaire that use tax havens

Solo likes this.
  11. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

That's really strange. I remember seeing you post that in one of the AR groups on Facebook.

12. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

That must have been someone else that posted there. I'm sure I'm not the only one upset about the way they are treating their customers.

Adventurer likes this.
  13. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Bumping this up...

Does ATI make a decent pistol AR?

14. ASH

ASH Member

I can't answer that but only their Milsport model uses a all aluminum receiver. The Omnimax is polymer with zinc inserts.

15. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

It seems most (if not all) ATI ARs are on back order. What other budget friendly ARs are out there that are still in stock and not on Palmetto or Cheaper Than Dirt?

16. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

Check out Primary Arms, they've been really good to me. Just finished putting together another Glock 19 from parts that arrived from there today

17. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Just curious if there is any reason you are trying to avoid palmetto, they aren't doing the same sales they were 2 months ago that made their stuff really good for the money but overall I have been extremely satisfied with PSA for AR stuff. I haven't personally had an issue with any of their products but friends that have had things like canted front sight bases had no problems dealing with customer service and the issues were taken care of very quickly.

18. Frigin

Frigin Member

please do not but anything from cheaper then dirt. They are heavily price gouging right now as they have done in the past to us gun owners.......the people that buy from them. Please I would hope everyone would stop buying from them. They were selling target ammo 1000 rounds for like $900 or some insane price.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  19. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

For clarification...i am looking for other places to buy a budget AR that are NOT PSA or Cheaper Than Dirt. PSA’s shipping was slow before all this started and I am aware of CTDs gouging and refuse to ever support them again.

I have checked out Primary Arms and Sportsman’s Guide but most of their budget ARs are sold out

20. Frigin

Frigin Member

@OutdoorsFamilyMan yeah I can imagine it’s hard to find a new one at this time. I have had very good luck buying and selling threw armslist you can search by state. Not sure your states transfer laws. It’s been a great site for me.