Five easy pieces (Translation: what are your 5 fav blades?)

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Dec 22, 2016.

1. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I am really enjoying this thread. It's interesting to me why people choose what they do. I second Stone tho, the RB3 is a Scandi persons dream, I've yet to handle a blade that feels like an extension of my hand as much as this one does.

Stone and Strigidae like this.
  2. Stewart

Stewart Member

Yep I remember, you and JV3 used to rate it very highly, Its 01 tool steel aswell, you must have it confused with something else.

3. Stone

Stone Member

Confused it? Not sure what you mean ... :confused:

4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

You mentioned stainless in why you got rid of it. The Spyderco is O1, not stainless.

5. Stone

Stone Member

Ah, OK, got it. I confess I'm not as knowledgeable about steels as some of you guys. <tips hat>

I guess I thought O1 was stainless. (Is it not? That is, does it not have stainless qualities?)

I'll put it this way: It's not 1095, and that's what I've come to know and appreciate for its edge and ease of sharpening (the latter skill I still consider myself a relative novice, apprentice at best).

That's one factor among several that sets the RB3 apart from the Spyderco, especially for me.

And again, to be clear, I'm NOT badmouthing the Spyderco; it too is an exceptional knife in design and production. It just wasn't right for me, whereas the RB is.
    ___

<ETA: will read up again on tool steels later, after work ...>

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Zeitgeist likes this.
  6. Stone

Stone Member

OK, I've been doing some reading while I ate lunch. I've refreshed my memory/knowledge of tool steel (not corrosion resistant) v stainless (corrosion resistant). I knew the latter always, but sometimes I confuse the other alloys, especially tool steel.

I'm about to walk downtown to the grocery (before the next storm hits), and will say, "Hail tool steel" and "Hail stainless" along the way to atone for my metallurgical ignorance and sins. :rolleyes:

7. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Member

Bump

Numbers 1-4 are kind of a tie due to sentimental reasons.

#1 laserstrike, my first one was a gift from @Emac which he beautifully modded with filed scales and file work on the full edge of the tang. I eventually bought a second to carry in conditions where I feared losing the one he gifted me. This design is one of my main edc fixed blades and I carry them iwb.

#2 Victorinox Hunter, was a gift from my wife when we first started dating. She bought it for me in Interloken Switzerland during a law school summer abroad. I absolutely love this SAK, it's little saw has saved many a deer hunt while using my climbing stand.

#3 Buck Vanguard, gifted from my late Mawmaw when I was 14 or 15. It was my first and only fixed blade until 2014. I've cleaned many deer, hogs, ducks, rabbits and squirrels with it.

#4. Buck 500, gift from my Dad when I was 13 or 14. I used his like this cleaning my first few deer and for countless ducks and pilfered it for any other use I could think of never knowing he had a second New in box until it ended up in my Christmas stocking with a letter he wrote me that I also still have.

#5 TOPS MSK, gift from my wife last Christmas. It replaced my izula I sold to a coworker last year as a neck knife and I truly haven't missed the izzy in the least. I've worn it on the ball chain it came with everyday I've left the house since getting it. The handle ergos are amazing and the blade holds an edge like a razor with minimal work.

Honorable mentions:

#6 Junglas, I bought this one a few years back after trying out @Emac's. I etched and stripped it as soon as I opened the package from TKC. I love this big @ss blade, it's been a serious workhorse at work and in my free time.

#7 Benchmade Adamas folder, bought this a year ago from @Emac for an amazing deal and it's hardly left my pocket. I thinned it's edge a good bit so it slices a lot better. It's made me love D2 tool steel.

#8 Fiskars 22" machete, picked it up at Home Depot or Lowe's for under $20. It's got the best feeling handle of any machete I've used yet and the steel has been easy to sharpen and holds it's edge.

#9 Gerber 17" camp axe, gift from my wife. I've beat the snot out of this thing and it's always taking more. Got out of some jams with it cutting away fallen trees that were blocking our entrance to the deer camp last winter. Never ceases to amaze me.

#10 Gerber splitting axe 2, bought this cause the camp axe impressed me so much. It's my go to for serious log splitting when I don't wanna play around with batoning.

#11 Esee 5, I don't use it near as much as I should but it's always in my get home pack and it impresses me every time I do use it. It just seems to get ousted by the Junglas for all my fire prep and woods needs.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    DYSPHORIC JOY and Stone like this.
  8. the925life

the925life Member

Sebenza 21
    SAK Cadet
    ESEE 6
    GB Scandinavian Forest Axe
    Fallkniven NL5

Zeitgeist, Stone and Zeek like this.
  9. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

IMG_20171130_1038350_rewind.jpg
    My top 3.
    Benchmade Dejavoo - I don't care for folders, so this is purely utilitarian and has been carried for years.

Middle
    Victorious Spirit - Best multitool I have ever bought.

Bottom
    TRC Knives XS Splinter - N690 FFG Ranger G10 Made in Lithuania Designed by Pehota out of Russia Probably the best all around knife I own.
    IMG_20171130_1039441_rewind.jpg
    Here is my occasional users.
    Top left TRC Splinter in M390

Top right
    Bark River Funny in 3V with handle redone by me

Center left
    Marching Bona custom in N690

Bottom left
    Custom by Marcin Bona

Bottom right
    TRC M-1 in 4V

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Stone and Zeitgeist like this.
  10. Solitary

Solitary Member

Mora garberg- just to annoy the moras should be cheap crowd. Suprisingly good blade and its a nice stainless bombproof scandi.

Spyderco bushcrafter - damn comfy handle.

GB Scandinavian forest axe - axe perfection

Helle Temagami - different knife with an identity crisis which is pretty comfy and capable.

Brkt Northstar - little slicey convex monkey and simply because its not a scandi (but avoiding the rb3 as i cant justify owning one)

Excuse the boring,low maintainance choices

Zeitgeist and Stone like this.
  11. Stone

Stone Member

"Helle Temagami - different knife with an identity crisis which is pretty comfy and capable."​

One of the best laughs of my afternoon. :D

Love Helle. I own two -- Fosse and Nying -- though neither make my top 5 any longer -- but they're easily in the top 10.

Edit: It's Fossekallen, not Fosse. I just call it "Fosse" to save saying/typing extra syllables. :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Solitary and Zeitgeist like this.
  12. Blake G

Blake G Member

In no particular order folks, fixed blade only - folders are too numerous to mention but would start with the SAK Farmer:

Lucas Forge Nessmuk - not sure what he uses for steel but it takes and holds a wicked edge. I dressed out 3 whitetails last year and although it didn't need to be touched up I did it anyway. Crazy sharp...

Nick Allen Sierra Scout - I got this when he first brought it to market and it's been bombproof and super comfy. Something about his handle scales and the shape that works for everyone who has used it;

ML Knives Short Survivalist - short, handy, crazy sharp and super sturdy. I usually just carry this in it's sheath in my back pocket. It's a chunk...

ML Knives Trail Fighter - I can't imagine what you'd need to do to break this thing. One for the Apocalypse...

Mora Eldris - super sharp, handy, too cute... If you don't like this one, ISIS wins...

blake

Stone likes this.
  13. Stone

Stone Member

Thanks to the generous kindness of a forum member (story at a later time with his permission)
    -- I received my Zancudo in the mail today. :) :) :)

Werd up: I totally love this knife. No, really: love it.
    I knew I would, based on reviews I'd read/watched.

But I had no idea how amazing it is.
    It instantly jumped to the best folder I've ever owned.

Elegant. Light. Functional. Sharp. Beyond sharp. Razor. AUS 8 ate part of my right thumb.

:eek: :oops: :rolleyes:

It's already made it into my five easy pieces.
    It's not perfect. I have some criticism(s). But they are minor.

Which of my original five will it replace?

I know, but can't take the time now; I must prepare dinner 2 (pork) with (gin) aperitif, then sleep.

I'll get back to you.

Zancudo bandaid.JPG

14. Stone

Stone Member

OK, so, I'm behind posting here. Too many irons in my fire.

Here's my list of top 5 knives as of 12.18.17.
    A pic will come, but not tonight. (Too late in my day.)

In no particular order:
    • TDI
    • ESEE RB3 (bushcraft extraordinaire)
    • SW HRT9B (just because it's a dagger)
    • BRK/ESEE Zancudo (new in my kit, but my new EDC)
    • Enzo Necker (been in my kit for a long time, but it's moved up; needs new sheath)
    Honorable mentions -- #6 & #7: Mora Bushcraft Black & Izula

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Dagwood, Zeitgeist and Zeek like this.
  15. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

Esee 4
    SAK soldier
    SAK workchamp
    Esee6
    Estwing hatchet.....and/ or mora garberg

nathan shepherd, Stone and Zeek like this.
  16. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

Very nice thread..bump
    Great posts on explanations.

17. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Excellent choice of music!!!