IMLAY (Rescue Izula) released today!

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by shaneadams90, Mar 14, 2019.

1. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Introducing the Imlay™ Rescue Knife
    [​IMG]
    The Imlay™ rescue knife is based on the legendary Izula® pattern and designed to be attached to a PFD, harness or belt. The knife gets its name from a well-known technical slot canyon in Zion National Park that requires more than 40 rappels and negotiating numerous obstacles to complete.

Developed by the ESEE team during their SAR, swiftwater, and recreational rope activities, the knife features a dull, blunted tip for safer use around tensioned ropes or rescue subjects, serrations to get through tough materials, double spine jimping for a more secure grip, skeletonized design to reduce size and weight, O2 slot, and 440C stainless steel for use in wet environments, as well as its excellent edge holding abilities.

[​IMG]

The sheathing features an ESEE designed secondary retention strap and multiple carry options. The system can be clipped into your gear rack with a small accessory carabiner, laced onto a PFD, or simply clipped into place using an Izula Clip Plate. To deploy the knife, simply remove the secondary retention strap from the sheath post, then thumb the blade out of the sheath as you would any other ESEE knife. The retention strap is designed to stay on the knife during use and features a long tail for easier manipulation with gloved hands. The Imlay system includes the knife, sheath, clip plate, secondary retention device and paracord.

[​IMG]

10% of gross sales for the Imlay Rescue knife go to support operational costs of RAT-SAR, a 501(c)3 non-profit, all volunteer search and rescue organization.

Find out more about the Imlay™ Rescue Knife by visiting the product page.

[​IMG]

2. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

In! Thanks for the chance.

Zeek and boss_crew like this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Looks to be a good addition to the line. Ill bet the SAR folks will like it.

mtngoat and shaneadams90 like this.
  4. Strigidae

The real winner is us who get a new style izula sheath with a new form of retention.

mtngoat and shaneadams90 like this.
  5. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I like how the retention strap doubles as a lanyard

shaneadams90 and mtngoat like this.
  6. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

That's a cool serrated izula, will ESEE warranty the broken tip :p
    Very cool design, I'm sure rescue personnel/first responders will like this design. Nice job on including the O2 wrench.

Zeek, shaneadams90 and mtngoat like this.
  7. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

Did you guys just put serations on the broken tip warranty knives? Haha

Great looking little knife though wish I had a use for it, I really like the jimping on the handle as well

8. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I’ll take it if @Caleb O backs out.

Great addition to the lineup, going to definitely get one for when we do the swiftbwater course. Right @Strigidae

shaneadams90 likes this.
  9. Ryno

Ryno Member

Hi Shane/Crew,

Will you be bringing out an orange (high-vis) option?

Thanks

C99c and shaneadams90 like this.
  10. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

That has been a very common request....our existing bikini scales (shorty Izula scales) will not work with this one due to the O2 wrench...we are looking at options now but that may take a while as we have lots of things filling the manufacturing pipeline....

I would suggest some Orange Paracord on the handle for a quick fix.....for now.

C99c, mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  11. Ryno

Ryno Member

Hi Shane,

Scales and paracord wouldn’t work for me personally, but I will keep an eye out for any future options.

Thanks again.

shaneadams90 and C99c like this.
  12. Strigidae

You want it powder coated orange?

C99c likes this.
  13. C99c

C99c Member

I think that's the direction I'm going. Either have someone do it or buy some of the DIY stuff so that touch ups will be easier. I may even rattle can the grip area first for a short term solution.

I like the design, but will need it to be more visible and will have to find some way to add more traction to the grip area without using scales.
    At the moment I'm thinking some strips of bike tube (Ranger band/whatever) may solve the traction issue.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  14. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

No worries, we are about to do some Izula sheaths in hunter blaze orange, so that's an option.

15. C99c

C99c Member

It's not the sheath that my dumb butt will drop in the water or lay down somewhere and forget to pick up.

Seriously though, this is the first knife setup in years I'm actually looking forward to getting my hands on. Nice job guys. It's going to replace an NRS knife and my old trusty CRKT Bearclaw for climbing and kayaking.

16. Jeff Randall

We will eventually do blaze orange bikini handles for the knife. Cannot do full grip handles and have the secondary retention work properly unless we mold a longer strap. Hell, I'd just wrap the spine and the handle with orange tape. Solves the problem for now. Actually I wrap all my gear with yellow tape and everyone knows that's my color when it comes to rescue gear, but it also makes it easier to find when it's dropped. Will be marking my new Imlay the same way since our team folks will all have one of these.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  17. Jeff Randall

Honestly, it's the first ESEE knife I've been excited about in a while. Serves a real purpose to me. Been using a prototype for some time and it just works.

Caleb O, C99c and RocketmanDane like this.
  18. Kevo

Kevo Member

This is a really cool design that would solve a couple of problems for me. Hoping to get my mitts on one.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  19. Jeff Randall

Already had some folks ask why we didn't fully serrate it. Simple answer: when I'm cutting a piece of cord I like to push the knife through the cord while the cord is laying on a hard surface like wood. Makes a cleaner cut and easier to burn the end than a ragged cut made with serrations. 440C will take a wicked edge and hold it, unlike some stainless steels often used for rescue knives, so you can keep this one sharp and push cut through cordage and make a clean cut. If you need to get aggressive, then there are serrations.

Caleb O, mtngoat, Reno Lewis and 2 others like this.
  20. Jeff Randall

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 3.46.57 PM.png

Another thought I had for the water guys is to connect a small floater tab on to the pommel of the knife. I have them for my waterproof cameras that are bright yellow. Those are a bit too bulky for this knife but I'm sure they make them smaller.

mtngoat, C99c and RocketmanDane like this.