The flu sucks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Menace, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Menace

Menace Member

I've had a sore throat since Sunday but over the last 36 hours, I've gone down like a sack of bricks! Holy crap this is miserable.

Actually made it to the doctor this morning and tested positive for the flu. Doc seems to think I got it twice over the course of this week since I've been sick so long.

Yall stay safe and healthy, I'll be down and out for the foreseeable future.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Oh man that sucks!!!

3. Black5

Black5 Member

Yup. 30 kids at the hospital quarantined. We thought we had gotten past it week before last, and a whole new crop showed up.

4. JV3

JV3 Member

i rarely get sick and i attribute it to my love of hot sauce and high alcohol level in my blood killing anything foreign.

5. IW17

IW17 Member

Our household has been sick non stop over the past couple weeks. Nothing terrible but still enough that the constant illness has us all beat.

6. CWB

CWB Member

Two weeks + for me

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

this x 1,000,000 I slowed down my intake of hot stuff and garlic the last two weeks, haven't drank "as much" beers as normal and I got walloped with the flu! first time in almost 5 years

coming of of it now.....at 2 bulbs of garlic raw yesterday, chased with raw habeneros and washed it down with icy cold RED TRUCK BEER (Lager). Felt like crap yesterday at work, had a great hot pepper / garlic endorphin high all night, feel great today!

William Moon and RocketmanDane like this.
  8. Black5

Black5 Member

There is something to it. Between the black elderberry syrup, whiskey, ( during times of flu season) and the Louisiana sauce and or cayenne pepper I ingest almost daily I usually fend off the majority of bugs.
    Don't know if I'll be as lucky on this go round though.

9. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Sorry to hear that brother. Its really bad around here too. They cancelled my kids school Tuesday and Wednesday because of the outbreak. They had a cleaning company come in and use some special disinfectant bomb to sterilize the entire school...its a small school 450 kids pre-k thru 8.... over 50 kids and students and staff were absent on Monday. Principal had to inform the health dept. Because it was a certain percentage... still over 30 out today... hoping and praying it stays away from our house

10. Black5

Black5 Member

It is bad sometimes. We use tamaflu on the kids immediately after testing positive. I just wish they would screen the new admits better. We could quarantine right away and maybe not infect a small platoon worth.

11. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@CWB The kiddos school has been doing the same thing.. The daily counts vs total # of students. Then over this last 5 day madi graw break they scrubbed down the whole school.

@Black5 It’s so bad at the local hospital they have pretty much gave up on the flu testing. If you have a family member with similiar symptoms or a confirmed flu case they skip testing and go straight to the tamiflu.
    The weird part is along with the flu ravaging apparently so is Strep throat. Really only seem to test if they can’t tell if it’s strep... The makers of tamiflu must be making a killing... :

12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yikes......i would not be taking that stuff..........

your body builds its own defense against all the flu strains......

NOTE: i am NOT an anti-vaxxer (I'm fully vaccinated, except flu ,including MANY rounds of tetanus and other stuff) but that crap they push for flu just weakens your immune system more.)

have had antibiotics ONCE - unlike some of my friends who seem to go on antibiotics every few weeks,,,,,,,,,and they are always weak and sickly.

RocketmanDane and Black5 like this.
  13. Black5

Black5 Member

Yeah, we have some with strep.

And I agree that we can medicate and vaccinate so much we lose a lot of our natural immunity capability.

But I self medicate from the Dollar tree and liquor store, so what do I know?

RocketmanDane and Bushman5 like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yeA! Spam & Beer!

15. Menace

Menace Member

I can honestly say this is the first time I've gotten the flu in my entire life.

Although the doc seems to think, based on how long I've been sick, that I caught 2 different strains of it this week.

16. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

I’ve had it since last weekend, miserable. At one point, I swear Motley Crue was recording a double live album in my head at 180 dB, with a raw throat and non-stop coughing. Hope everyone rebounds quickly.

17. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Our household has had run with the flu, several long running colds, strep throat and now my wife and I are on the tail end of sinus infections. This winter has been miserable. I can not wait for spring.

I don’t drink much anymore but when I was boozing heavy I noticed I didn’t get sick as often. Not sure if I would rather have the heavy drinking or the illnesses.

Bushman5 likes this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

get munching on hot peppers and raw garlic, hit the sauna and get it HOT and all that phlegm just runs out of the body. get your core temp up big time and let your body think its got a fever (i mean get that sauna screaming hot)

19. Neilsen

Neilsen Member

I’m a big believer in eating raw garlic as well! Echinacea as well if I feel something coming on. When I was a Paramedic student I was required to get the flu shot, I found I would be sick all winter. When I started working I didn’t have to get it, so I stopped, and felt much better. Still got sick once in a while but it didn’t linger all winter.