Newish To Firearms- need advice

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by OutdoorsFamilyMan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Rick R

Rick R Member

My .02 is to agree with most of what has been previously advised. Congratulations on having a wife who supports you getting a handgun AND an AR15.
    First off, I don’t own any Glocks but really you can’t go wrong with a G-19 or G-17 and you might find a decent deal on a used or surplus one. Magazines are cheap and available. Buy a good holster, belt and mag pouch. I like the holsters DSG sells under their name. But there are some dandy kydex folders out there too, like JM Custom and Bravo Concealment.
    If you don’t have the funds for an AR right now consider just buying a complete lower from someone like Bravo Company and a supply of magazines. Those are the parts most likely to become scarce. You could add a simple Palmetto State Armory upper to a good lower and then upgrade as you learn more. You have to buy a lower thru an FFL but the other parts can be ordered.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Rifles of any kind are illegal to hunt with where I live....too flat around here...that's why I own and only have experience with shotguns. I hunted all my life since I was 5 (though I never killed a deer til 10)...its been 5 years since I've hunted due to having a family and the loss of access to the best hunting land in the country (IMHO) Jackson/Hillsdale Counties in Michigan.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Not to start any kind of debate, but there's not really anything to disagree with . 16" 1:7 is pretty much standard.

As far as opinions go, I'm with you. 1:8/1:7 are probably the two most versatile options. The military designed M855 to work in their 1:7 barrels, and that's probably going to be the most widely available ammo in 5.56 form. Shooting .55gr through 1:7 won't be an issue for just plinking, I've done it for years.

My suggestion of a 16" barrel with a 1:7 twist was mostly just to keep OFM with the most standard setup for his first rifle. From there, he can determine which type of ammo/barrel/optics setup suits his needs the most and make changes from there. I've found that starting off new-comers with non-standard configurations can sometimes confuse them even more.

The Marsh Gorilla, daizee and Zeek like this.
  4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Yes, I believe so. Most people have found that 16"/Carbine gas ends up being a bit more reliable, since the under-powered cheap ammo still gets enough gas through the tube to cycle the bolt. Where a properly tuned mid-length system would have trouble cycling the bolt with under-powered ammo because it doesn't put enough gas in the increased length of the tube.

If you plan on using quality rounds, then a midlength gas system has some advantages. If you want to just be able to shoot anything you find laying on the ground, the carbine gas can be an advantage.

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and ASH like this.
  5. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Now that y'all have totally baffled him with y'all's brilliance :confused: I'd say get an
    AK-47 :D

6. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

Well, I´ll give my opinion. and it will only about CCW/handguns

I think you should get two kinds of guns...

1) First a Compact 9mm pistol.
    Glock 19, SW M&Pc 2.0 9mm, FN 509, HK VP9, Walther Creed, CZ P10C...

Please, forget about the subcompact single stack minimalist fad, that´s for hipsters and these types of person.

2) I think you should get too a J-frame 2-2,5" type 38/357 revolver as well. Great for shooting, funny, defense, easiest gun to operate and you can leave him with you wife. Could be a S&W, a Ruger SP101, Kimber K6S, Colt Cobra...

That´s it...

Ballenxj, Zeek and STPNWLF like this.
  7. daizee

daizee Member

Agreed - and non-standard isn't budget-friendly, which is the biggest constraint OFM mentioned.

Bcamos and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  8. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

9. junglebum

junglebum Member

I would tell you this brother and we know each other for a long time so it’s from the heart. A good quality gun Is an investment and will last pretty much a lifetime unless your putting 20k rounds through it a year ar’s are great and the PSA or stagg is a good value brand . But your far more likely to be mugged or car jacked then have to bug out. And that is my professional opinion as an LEO and somebody who carries every day and is bound by law to step in if I see some sh*t go down. If your going to ccw remember your wearing this thing all day everyday it needs to be comfortable. I own quite a few handguns and have shot tons more from all manufacturers. Your also going to need in all likelihood 3 holsters to dress around the gun and it is going to take you a while to find what works best for you. I have an affinity for glocks and cz’s. Cz’s for the most part aren’t going to be that easy to conceal and a g19 while can be concealed and I do but it can be heavy and bulky as is the g26 which is bulky. I would tell you to look into a g43x with night sights buy a couple extra mags a few holsters a couple of cases of ammo and get some training. Save up for an AR at a later date. Also shooting an AR I. A house isn’t always a great idea you have to think about your back stops cause a rifle can over penetrate your target or if you miss it can pass through every wall in your house unless you live in a solid concrete or brick building but I. A house with sheet rock it might as well be air it’s going through a shot gun for my money with #4 shot is better in doors. Glocks are like the AR of handguns lots of parts lots of holsters easy to work on. In short get a Glock get some holsters ammmo and training and go from there

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  10. Rick R

Rick R Member

The G43X or the G48 are good sized for EDC , but they take a new magazine and holster size so there aren’t a lot of options right now. I’d expect that to get better. The G19 has become pretty ubiquitous.

Actually if you look at the study done at Gunsite and then repeated elsewhere, .223/5.56 bullets are prone to tumble and break up in common residential wall construction faster than pistol bullets or buckshot. I worked a complaint at a business where some one fired a 9mm at the front steel door that ended up penetrating nine interior walls before the back brick wall stopped it.

The Marsh Gorilla, Bcamos and Zeek like this.
  11. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

A carbine that shoots .223/5.56 is arguably the best self defense firearm inside of a home or building.

• They don't penetrate walls nearly as much as the majority of people assume
    • Higher magazine capacity
    • Actually designed for that type of environment
    • Shoots rounds designed for human targets (Turkey loads/Bird shot are not designed to stop a human)
    • Simple ergonomics that have been proven over a LONG period of time

One of the biggest down-falls that I can come up with for using an AR platform rifle for home defense is the noise. They're loud rifles and can be deafening while shot inside. It's a slight trade-off for having the upper hand though. Also a good reason for a suppressor!

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Boker55 like this.
  12. junglebum

junglebum Member

Actually have a 43x fits in any 43 holster except the trigger guard only type holsters... plus if (not that it applies to me) you life in a oppressive state like commifornia or NY or MA you can only have a 10 round mag capacity so why buy a gun that holds 15-20 and then put 10 round mags in it just extra weight and bulk for no reason

The Marsh Gorilla and Rick R like this.
  13. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

It looks like OutdoorsFamilyMan is from Ohio, which has a magazine capacity limit of 30rds. So the G19 would be an applicable option for him.

Bushman5, Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  14. ASH

ASH Member

The extra bulk and weight makes most pistols more pleasant and easier to shoot. But the opposite is true when it comes to carrying it. Most people in those restrictive states can't get a carry permit anyway. So in those cases i can see buying a larger pistol.

The Marsh Gorilla and Bcamos like this.
  15. IW17

IW17 Member

That law was deleted. No mag capacity limitations anymore.

16. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Gotta Love O-H-I-O

Bushman5 and Rick R like this.
  17. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Okay, you've had almost 2 weeks of opinions and research.

Time to tell us your thoughts on it lol.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

save $150 or so for a belt mounted GSW FAK and TQ

JV3 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  19. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I'm still processing

Zeek likes this.
  20. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

So I've shopped around a few local places and gathered more info...I am pretty sure im going to be purchasing an AR from PSA.

As far as a handgun, I'm still working that out. I found a local indoor range that will let me come in and pay for a ½ hr of time and a rental fee and will supply me an assortment of handguns to try out. The general consensus I've learned is that just because it feels good in the hand doesnt mean im gonna like how it shoots. I have been looking right around the 300 range which is mainly the Shield 9 and a few others. I also would like to shoot the Ruger LC9S AND EC9S (any opinions on these two...I can pick up one of them locally for 250/225 respectively). And then I've recently discovered the Sig P365. Its more than my budget but it seems like a nice piece...also wanna try the g43 since it's in the same price range....

Also...Looking at PSA's completes I see nearly identical ARs (both 16") for the same price but one is carbine length and one is mid length gas systems.....I think I now understand the gas system better but what would be the difference?

Kevo likes this.