Kuiu pack thoughts

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by ny700, Feb 17, 2019.

1. ny700

ny700 Member

Wondering if anyone has some experience with kuiu packs with some miles under load and if so did you run the regular frame or the ultralite frame.

Thanks

2. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

3. Hammer

Hammer Member

Yeah, I have one of their early packs - the Icon 1850, I think? It's been a really good pack and can carry a surprising amount of weight for its size. I've packed out some pretty hefty muley quarters with it, and the way it's designed for the pack to extend out from the frame and create a space for meat hauling between the frame and the pack works really well.

I think they've probably made some refinements to them since I bought mine, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

[​IMG]

4. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I do have one, I just got it a few weeks ago to be fair but I’ve been training with it 3 times a week. I snow shoe 5 miles with about 50lbs in it. I have the icon pro 5200 with the ultra lite frame. When fitted right the pack rides awesome. I’ve had a lot of packs and kuiu has it figured out. Stoney Glacier helped them design them. I would not hesitate to put serious weight in mine. I’m gearing up for a elk and mulie hunt this fall. The 5200 packs down to nothing if it is empty, not all loose and floppy. You barely know it’s on your back. Let me know if you have a specific question or need pics I’d be happy to help.

ChristopherRC likes this.
  5. ny700

ny700 Member

Thank you, so my intended use is specifically for hunting. I am trying to gear up and get in shape to compete in the 2020 mammoth sniper challenge. 3 day shooting competition. In the tough man division you are packing all of your gear 50-70lbs including rifle and ammo and you are covering about 30miles over 3 days and must maintain a 16min mile or better to not get DQ’d.

Every ounce poses a real penalty. The kuiu pack appears to be the best bang for the buck per ounce.
    Packs by Kifaru, eberlestock mystery ranch are significantly heavier for comparable cubic inch.

For the load out I’m looking at either the 4000 or 5200. Wasn’t sure if the ultralite frame could do the job or better to go with the regular frame. My hope would be to run my rifle (16-17lbs) up against the frame the way you would pack meat instead of hanging it off the side just for stability

6. Rook52

Rook52 Member

That is why I went with the kuiu pack as well. I was able to get everything for 15% off as well. You should have no problem using that pack for your challenge. They sell an optional gun sling that allows you to center your rifle on the pack. I’d just check your butt stock dimensions. My Tikka butt stock is tight and I’m sure if your in a sniper challenge you probably have a custom stock.
    It has buckles everywhere to tighten gear down to keep it tight so it doesn’t shift.
    The fabric 500 cordura is tough and light. There are long pockets on the side for a spotting scope, tripod, or tent poles. It has bed roll straps on the bottom for a shooting mat.
    I was looking hard at an exo mountain gear pack, which are about $200 more. They have a titanium wire frame. Super nice pack too but the kuiu is right up there and a lot cheaper.

7. ChristopherRC

ChristopherRC Member

Been running Kuiu 5200 all winter snow snowshoeing and I kinda love it... havent taken it on a hunt yet but but already replaced my big backpacking pack with this... tons of storage and I can run an extra 20lbs If I had to in this if I had too and still carry better than any of my ospreys or vaude packs before this and this pack will carry almost 20L more than any of those... amazing design

Strigidae likes this.
  8. patrickknight

patrickknight Member

I have been seriously considering the Venture 2300. I know its really new and there isn't much out there.