Overland dodge 1500 code name WARPIG

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Allen Morrison, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Allen Morrison

Allen Morrison Member

So on Jan the 4th I smoked a telephone pole missing a deer. 20190107_165811.jpg And that kicked of my plans to up grade my dodge to an adventure truck. So started by finding a aluminum flatbed for it. 20190128_122621.jpg 20190128_122611.jpg 20190128_184033.jpg
    So from there I decided to put a CB in my truck. If anyone knows anything about CB's I would like to chat with you. I got the CB installed made a center console mount for it I even had kydex that matched my interior imagine that lol. 20190206_150024.jpg
    I mounted my antenna on my headache rack and got it all tuned up. Not sure I like this mounting location yet. 30170.jpeg
    Next thing on my list I believe is trying to figure out what to do next maybe on board air or upping fuel capacity what do you guys thing.

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

that is a sick sick flat deck body!!!!

Zeek and Allen Morrison like this.
  3. Black5

Black5 Member

Increased fuel capacity is good if you are driving a long way.

On board air is wonderful since you are able to air down your tires tired off roading, bring them back up for highway, repair your own flats off road, (as well as trailer tires) and a myriad of other things much as, with the correct setup, power your own impact tools to assist in removing said tires, blow out clogged fuel filters and air filters, and should the need arises, inflate beach toys and blow up dolls.

Air before fuel would be where my money went if it were me.
    I had on-board air on my Jeep before the compressor went South, and will have it again by summer.

Michael W. likes this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Member

Looking good man...

5. Allen Morrison

Allen Morrison Member

Yea I believe on board air is next.

Zeek likes this.
  6. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

CM makes damn good beds. My buddy is a farrier and he just ordered a custom CM bed that's going to fit his forge, anvil, drill press, grinders, air compressor, horse shoe racks and all of his various hand tools. All while still being a flat bed!

On board air is pretty cool , especially if you plan on going with air bags in the rear. I would suggest looking into air bags, as a lot of the single-rear-wheel F250 guys have found that the rear ends sag just enough for the flat beds to hit the tires when hauling or towing any kind of weight.

Zeek likes this.
  7. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Can't believe I missed this!

That's a great looking route so far. Air is nice, but don't overlook a good compressor that hooks up to the battery. There's been a few times that someone needed air and I couldn't get close so my Vaia Air in the ammo can came in handy.

I know it's a big step, but if you're looking for a camper for that thing check out @usedfourwheelcampers on IG. Sometimes a good flat bed model pops up. If I had a flat bed that's the route I would go. You can jack it up and drive out from under it when you want, and have a sweet set up for camp.

8. Rich275

Rich275 Member

That's cool looking and I know nothing about such things. Is it possible to get bed walls and a tailgate for the flatbed to simulate a regular pickup?

9. Allen Morrison

Allen Morrison Member

20190220_104404.jpg Finished up my center console for the CB today can't believe that the kydex matched the interio

10. Allen Morrison

Allen Morrison Member

Think I am going to build some wood sides for the flat bed for a upcoming camp outing any body have any design info on these.like building them a certain way to help them be more useful other then being just besides

Jeremiah Jones and Zeek like this.
  11. Allen Morrison

Allen Morrison Member

20190301_160352.jpg Going to have a buddy make some aluminum racks for my ammo cans to organize gear. On the backside of the mud flap

Rick R, Zeek and R Stowe like this.
  12. Allen Morrison

Allen Morrison Member

So I added a flashlight to the rig today decided to buy a new one for the house. Nothing wrong with this one it's been a trusty companion for 10 yrs now. 20190305_183655.jpg

13. R Stowe

Nice @Allen Morrison I’m really liking the whole command center you have going on there.

Allen Morrison likes this.
  14. Allen Morrison

Allen Morrison Member

Well I decided to build removable bed side on the flat bed. 20190306_102924.jpg 20190306_102945.jpg 20190306_110857.jpg 20190306_110846.jpg

C99c, Zeek, R Stowe and 1 other person like this.
  15. R Stowe

@Allen Morrison You're killing me man. My plan was to get a 90's diesel 80 Series in a few years. Now you have me thinking about a full size flat bed.

16. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Looks like Overland is moving in with the Copperheads this Summer;)

R Stowe and Allen Morrison like this.
  17. Rick R

Rick R Member

That’s a very cool looking ride! I’d skip extra fuel and go to a steel replacement bumper if deer collisions are a problem in your area. You could always strap Jerry cans to the bed for longer range.

The side boards look nice but I can’t help but wonder if someone could fabricate a metal topper with sides that you could drop on the bed for trips or for hauling stuff out of the weather.

Zeek, R Stowe and Allen Morrison like this.
  18. Allen Morrison

Allen Morrison Member

Well @R Stowe there is advantages of a diesel and I would love to have one BUT! Parts are more expensive plus maintenance can be a pain if you dont know what your doing. So there is a learning curve. They are beefier and tend to hold there value longer. Finding people if your on an adventure to work on it or to get parts would be a challenge. I am using this cause its paid for and it's not a bad truck to out fit I wish I could find a roof rack that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

19. Allen Morrison

Allen Morrison Member

I do plan on a new front winch bumper of some sort. That's the great things about a flatbed say I wanted to build something like what your saying @R Stowe I can remove these besides and save them for later.

Zeek likes this.
  20. R Stowe

@Allen Morrison yeah that’s the kicker on a diesel. Gotta find a mechanic I can trust. I’ve been doing some research and I think the mpg gains will be worth it. I agree on the flatbed. They’re super versatile.

Allen Morrison likes this.