Small Knife Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shaneadams90, Jan 8, 2019.

1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

The more skill a user has, the more they can do with a knife of any size. This means both tackling big tasks with a small knife and tackling small/detailed tasks with a big one! Just look at what a skilled user is able to do with a machete, for instance. I do find that knives between 5-9" are in kind of a no-man's-land under most circumstances and either larger or smaller tend to provide greater advantages and greatly reduced tradeoffs for it.

2. erik

erik Member

for me it's mostly handle length - I started with a 3, then 6, then 4 (added TKC scales which helped, but not enough), then izzy, then izzy 2.
    tried a 5 - concluded it's not what I wanted in a larger knife.
    kept the 6 & izzy 2 - gave the original izzy to SWMBO, sold the 3 & 4 -- the handles were small enough they hurt to use.
    I'm curious about the 3 & 4 HM -- and would be ecstatic if someone came out with an extended handle for the izzy 2.

C99c and The Warrior like this.
  3. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

I have lost track of how many whitetails, feral porkers, and drum or white perch I have put in a cooler with this. Now when it's finish processing time I use an old CS Bushman, thin and fast. For kitchen work I have a CS Elk Skinner , Carbon V @ 1/16"...they were $10 with no sheath in a discount store then. Wish I had bought 20 of them!!

C99c, Zeek, IW17 and 1 other person like this.
  4. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

My custom BK11, gifted to me by @Creaky Bones , has been a go to for some time now. I have huge hands,and the extra length handle works out great for me:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For sh*ts and giggles, my Frost mini:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my custom mini ulu:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

This just in...feels great in the hand! Will be making a sheath this week, then putting it into daily rotation CD62E297-4CCC-4A0C-B59E-87F82E72D41C.jpeg

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

also depends on what a person calls a small knife.....

For me anything under a 7” blade is a small knife. 7” - 16” is a medium knife and any blade over 16” -30” is a large knife / short machete

(Blade length, not overall length)

Big knife less effort/time/physical exertion/caloric expenditure . Small knife more effort/time/physical exertion/caloric expenditure

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Zeek, anrkst6973 and shaneadams90 like this.
  7. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

The logic is only true for large tasks....which make up a small portion of my cutting tasks generally speaking.

Bear in mind I'm not saying that one size knife is better than others....but this is based on my personal experience and also the experience of watch students struggle with tasks with an unnecessarily large knife....often handing them my CR2.5 to try and normally having a hard time getting it back.

For me personally, a small knife covers 95% of my cutting chores...even if I'm dressing deer, I still prefer my CR2.5 due to the fact that a longer blade can, at times, be at risk to my support hand while doing gutting duties especially when working blind in a chest cavity.

8. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

LT makes a nice blade....what model is that?

mtngoat likes this.
  9. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Couldn’t wait to carry this one, so I made a sheath today. Did some quick whittling with it. Especially liked the ergonomics and Blade to knuckle distance. 34F1A128-582C-446D-8F4B-1E127FED47AE.jpeg

Mountainmistwanderer, Zeek and Hammer like this.
  10. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

JX3 I think

shaneadams90 likes this.
  11. Hammer

Hammer Member

Yup, it's the JX3. I love mine. It's a hefty small knife and another one that bats above its size.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

BOOM! there is the thing right there - task size and % :)

You said small cutting tasks make up 95% of your knife duties................hence your use of small blades.

Whereas ......,.....large tasks make up 99% of my knife duties. Hence my use of cleavers, chopper knives , machetes and thick 1/4” to 5/16” thick knives (I pry fat wood out of rotting stumps and hammer with my large knives)

I used to have a Candiru with g10 scales. Tried to like it. Used it mostly for cutting tape on boxes. Handle too small for comfort when cutting wood or similar. Had the Candiru had a full size handle I would use it more, a lot more

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Zeek likes this.
  13. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

Context determines optimized tool selection. :)

14. Menace

Menace Member

This knife has really intrigued me, tell me about it

15. Hammer

Hammer Member

But, but....there has to be ONE right answer! And it has to be whatever I tend to prefer! :D

Reno Lewis, FortyTwoBlades and C99c like this.
  16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Totally off topic for this thread, but I got a new one I will be putting thru its paces. 2mm-3/32" thick...really thin and whippy. ;). Soon my Canuck comrade, soon. :)

Bushman5 likes this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

:D

all good.

I find that i spend about 80% of my knife usage time Chopping/hacking/slashing. 15% slicing duties (mostly food prep and shavings), and 5% fine detail work (notches etc).

I like where Shane is trying to go with this thread......I will admit I AM totally out of my element when forced to use a small knife . (i know that if i ever attended The Ranch, Jeff and Co would pin me to the ground, take away all my big knifes and hobble me with a 3/4" long, thin blade, just to spite me....:D:p:D )

But i just enjoy my med to large blades too much, and my cutting duties (see above) just don't warrant a small knife. I have very limited experience butchering/processing game (no hunting license, no firearms license (do have LOTS of rifle time though) yet.)

I tend to not dress game (when out with hunting friends) into the proper cuts, rather I simply hack large man sized steaks out. (GrayMan Knives Style - see his website). (90% of my hunting friends make sausages with their kills, so deli butcher style cuts are simply not needed)

I DO have a tiny knife....that i use a lot. The Grumpy Lobster (WHERE THE HE** ARE YOU BUD?) made me a FULL sized handle, 1.5" blade knife many years ago. Its a lot of fun to use.

but i like chopping and hacking. :D

anrkst6973 likes this.
  18. Sam

Sam Member

Small knife and an ax. My Izula has unzippered a couple of moose. Need no more. I find a big knife unhandy inside the body cavity. Its my goto
    [​IMG]

Old pic posted here before. Izula on left shoulder harness.
    Went through the big knife phase. I
    Use an old green river knife for butchering at home or camp
    Moose feed me I really need to start to take more pics but dont like to put living on pause to snap a pic. Like looking after tho..
    [​IMG]

CWB, Zeek, anrkst6973 and 2 others like this.
  19. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Full tang D2 and micarta with a full flat grind and an acid wash finish. 90* spine and a great stock thickness for its size. Doesn’t get a whole lot better for the price!

Zeek and Wisdom like this.
  20. jeeter

jeeter Member

I fall onto the spectrum of small-ish knife, meaning about 4" or less. Pretty much all I use now for the woods is my BK16 or Izula for finer work. EDC is my SAK or Izula.