Hill people Gear Tarahumara

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by BlueDogScout, Dec 20, 2018.

1. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

hey everyone. So I know there are a bunch of hill people gear fans on here. I am interested in the tarahumara in coyote brown or maybe black (I only saw photos on their site not the option) to supplement my centerline systems sherpa. I am wonder if anyone has better photos of how the harness connects and if you can add the mother canteen carrier to it easily. Thanks!

STPNWLF likes this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

If no one steps up here you can try their forum as well and see if they know.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Thank you

4. NoRest

NoRest Member

I have both the Tarahumara and a mother canteen carrier but I'm not sure how you would attach the carrier to the pack. I normally just use the shoulder strap over the pack and harness. If you have an idea on how you want to attach it let me know and I'll try it.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  5. olywa

olywa Member

If you picked up an Aston Panel for your Tara you could mount the Mother to that?
    Might be a little ungainly on the little Tara though...

That canteen pouch looks like it would be right at home on the back of a Recon belt as well.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  6. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I was just thinking of running the compression straps of the Tara through the molle of the mother and have it be on the side. Let me know.

The hill people have a smaller panel that fits the Tara and would fit the mother. I found that after the original post.

I have a belt rig but the mother gets pretty heavy and I don’t carry enough to counterbalance it. I don’t like it on the small of the back because I struggle to access it easily. I normally run the belt and the mother on the shoulder strap. However for a day hike I have no good way to carry food, etc... I am looking for a way to carry extra food and gear while mounting the mother.

7. NoRest

NoRest Member

I'll be heading out to the forest later today. I'll rig up the Tara and mother like this and try to take some pics for you.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  8. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Personally I find the TARA too small....going from memory I think it is 800ci but if you put water bottles in it they end up taking up some internal space as well. I'm not a fan of the single vertical zipper either....I have used my Tara while on my MTB as a hydration bladder and it does do well here with carry a 100 oz bladder and basic bike tools...it would probably make a good accessory pocket and compression panel on a larger pack...

If you needed a small, versatile pack....I think the Umlindi is one of the most versatile packs in their line up (or in the market) especially when you add a panel insert.

Hammer, BlueDogScout and olywa like this.
  9. olywa

olywa Member

That was my take as well. I originally ordered a Tara but ended up sending it back and upgrading to the Umlindi. Couldn't be happier with that decision.

I also picked up a Tara Pocket that I put on the Umlindi. I don't always use that extra capacity but I generally keep a Kelty tarp slipped in between them regardless.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  10. NoRest

NoRest Member

I have both of these packs. The Tara is small but a lot of times when I'm out for the day I don't carry much. Water,snack, fire kit, jacket, gloves, and first aid. I also add an Aston pocket to it if I need more room. I like it's small size to keep me fast and light. I do change over to the Lindi when I need more space. It's also a great pack. I like having options.

Hammer and BlueDogScout like this.
  11. NoRest

NoRest Member

I also add a Centerline Systems G2 gear roll to both packs for some small items that I may need to access quickly.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  12. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Thank you!

That was my concern. I have the bandit that I am selling for the same reason. It will do what I want for a day hike but barely. Do you have some photos of the Umlindi? Does it attach to the harness the same way? Can the mother attach to it?

Interesting, any photos?

Yea see my issue now is the bandit was just a tad too small and the halftrack is fat too big so I’m redoing bags lol

I appreciate everyone’s input

13. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

The G-2 is great I also like the G-1. I’ve been running the Sherpa belt for a few months from him and it’s fantastic but it’s made me change my entire way of packing lol

NoRest likes this.
  14. Hammer

Hammer Member

Same. There's plenty of times when the Tara (or the Tara and a Kit Bag) carry all I need for a day.

I agree with Shane on putting bottles in the side pockets. I prefer to run a hydration bag with the Tara for this reason.

If you go to the HPG Tara product page, there are a couple photos that give a pretty good idea of how the harness attaches to the pack. Regardless of which HPG pack you end up with, the harness is the same, and it's by far the best pack harness I've ever used.

BlueDogScout and NoRest like this.
  15. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Thank you hammer. So with the Sherpa from centerline system I can attach straps to the shoulders so if it’s just those clips that attract the harness I can use those for the bag. Just trying to get a feel.

Hammer likes this.
  16. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

So how does the umlindi compare to let’s say the hidden woodsman 25liter day ruck? The photos for the capture panel show it on the umlindi so I think I can make it work. I ordered a day ruck the other day. I bought one last year but it wasn’t large enough. I’ve dropped a lot of gear since then lol

17. Hammer

Hammer Member

The Ulmlindi has a much better suspension/harness system in my opinion, along with a frame sheet and a single aluminum stay that will allow it to carry heavier loads more comfortably than the HW Day Ruck.

The Ulmlindi is also designed for a more 'modular' approach than the HW Day Ruck - you can quickly and easily dock an HPG belt onto it (along with a number of other pouches/panels) and turn it into a multi-day pack.

If you want the most versatility, I'd choose the Umlindi, no contest. And if you're only going to buy one HPG pack, with the idea of using it for day trips and the occasional overnighter, the Umlindi reigns supreme.

Here's a pic of mine, set up with the M2016 Butt Pack as a top lid, a PALS Packet panel, the Recon Belt and a medium pouch, etc. All of those add-ons mount and dismount easily and quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strigidae and BlueDogScout like this.
  18. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Looks good! Hmm interesting. It is a little more than the day ruck but I see your point to the versatility. I wonder if I can cancel my hidden woodsman order? Hmm

19. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I think this panel will help with the mother

B10CDCB5-ED29-4A9C-969D-94AEA4F9A9A0.jpeg

20. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Okay so I’m gonna ask a few more questions lol on the little side pocket can I for the council tools woodcraft axe? (With the bit in the pocket?)