Good but doesn’t break the bank steak knives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThreeRidges, Dec 15, 2018.

1. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

Need to replace our daily driver steak knives. The wife is going to throw these in the dishwasher when I’m not around. Would like to grab 8 for $100 - 120 or so, or less if there’s a deal. Every time I see something promising on Amazon, there’s a string of “these fell apart “ reviews along with 5-star reviews. Old set was generic LaGuiole , though made in France, that held up for 10 years, but handles are beat from unsupervised dishwasher exposure.

Any suggestions? If not, I’m tempted to just cheap out and rotate them every 4 years.

Zeek likes this.
  2. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

Might look at some of the Victorinox. The Fibrox handles will survive the dishwasher, and it's in your price range. They sell as a set of 6 for whatever reason.

C99c, IW17 and Zeek like this.
  3. Zeek

Zeek Member

If that is true just buy some cheap stuff and throw them away every year.

Do you really need 6-8?

Otherwise, the Tojiro DP line is good stuff.

ManOfSteel likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Zeek likes this.
  5. McKROB

McKROB Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  6. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Growing up we used old hickory. (Have a cheap walmart beand right now and they wont die.) Not sure how nice or if they still make them. Would be cool if they are still USA made.

C99c likes this.
  7. jbs121s

jbs121s Member

I like the ones from Long Horn Grill, it takes a few trips to put a set together but the price is right.

STPNWLF, Bushman5, IW17 and 3 others like this.
  8. McKROB

McKROB Member

The Brazilian made Tramontina (maker of arguably the best machetes out there) make wooden handled steak knives (Porterhouse/Churrasco) that are high quality, and won’t break the bank either, they can be had for about $5 each. I had a set when I lived in Peru and was happy with them, didn’t have a dishwasher when I lived there so I can’t speak to how they’d holdup to daily dishwasher wear and tear.

4C3F7136-68EE-4AB5-9465-0A9305B2A45A.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    C99c likes this.
  9. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can say that the Tramontina line is well reviewed and seems to be a great value, especially if you are looking for the larger “steakhouse” type knives, which tend to be $$$. I was looking for more of a daily driver, so they have a slimmer version. In addition to actual wood, they have a handle option called “polywood” which seems to be a resin based coating they claim can handle dishwashers. I’ll report back when they arrive.

Once again, the forum delivers!

C99c and OKcherokee like this.
  10. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

Thanks, forgot in the OP to say that I wanted to avoid law enforcement situations.

11. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

C99c likes this.
  12. C99c

C99c Member

They still are or at least all that I have seen the last few years are. Several of the local hardware stores carry an assortment of Old Hickory. There seem to be some differences from the older stuff, but I think they are still a great value and solid tools.

You just have to remember to hide it under the bread in the to go box..
    Seriously, that seems to be the way to go from what I've observed others do and what friends in the restaurant business have talked about.

Just try not to dump the plate at the front door, spilling bread, multiple knives and forks and napkins (I've seen that twice).

Strigidae and jbs121s like this.
  13. ellamacrow

ellamacrow BANNED AI BOT

Hi folks. I'm getting married next year (woo!) and my lady and I are putting together a registry on findgift.com, which lets you be specific when you want and not when you don't want. The first item on the registry is steak knives. I'd like something that will be good and will last but I don't want to screw my family and friends with a super pricy gift. Some googling led me to this piece which has some ideas best steak knives for the money.

Does anyone else have a suggestion of good knives (I gather non-serrated is the most desirable--I've never owned these things mind you) for double-digit dollars to put on our registry?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Adventurer likes this.