What to know about 5col Survival Supply?

Discussion in '5Col' started by 5col, Nov 14, 2018.

1. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

Here's what to know about 5col Survival Supply:
    We're a family-owned business based in Durham, NC. Our goal is to offer high-quality survival gear. The sporting goods market is flooded with low-quality products marked "survival." Where they go low, we strive to go high.

5col Survival Supply is proud to be an authorized ESEE dealer. We carry products from companies like Source Tactical, Hill People Gear, Aquamira, Solkoa Survival Systems, Exotac, White River Knife & Tool, Wm. Smith & Son, and many more. In addition, we have a range of 5col-branded products. These are typically items like TinderQuik Tabs, Ranger Bands, and paracord, and they come in little brown pouches.

-We offer free shipping to US and APO/FPO/DPO addresses. We also ship internationally, but that's not free.
    -Orders received by 10:00 am EST will ship that day.
    -And now we also offer free returns within 60 days of purchase.

You can find our site here: https://www.5col.com
    The forum discount code is SHEEPLE, and is good for 5% off all orders.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

He will also let you sit next to his heater when it’s cold and muddy.

Strigidae and 5col like this.
  3. 5col

It's true, I will!

This little sucker was expensive as heck, but I might have paid even more for it last weekend.

56357866285__6317C8B6-D729-4C74-A5FA-689B9619126E.JPG

Strigidae and mtngoat like this.
  4. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

It sure was nice Sunday morning

5col likes this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Some of the very best service I have ever had and the best prices on shipping from the US to here !!

joe27, Strigidae, mtngoat and 2 others like this.
  6. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Beth and Andy from 5col are just good people...Andy is a squared away dude (Beth is too bc she keeps Andy on point)

He's been to our WFR class at the Farm and the guy is good in a bad situation....also had the opportunity to suffer a bit with Andy at Overland Expo this past weekend...I appreciate what 5col does and what they bring to the ESEE family.

Strigidae, 5col and mtngoat like this.
  7. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

I always wondered how the "5col" name came about?

Delkancott and 5col like this.
  8. 5col

That is a good question.

In 2001 I was a project manager for a tiny web shop. We just finished the redesign of Drew Pinsky's website (drdrew.com). The webpage had three columns--two columns of content, and one column of advertising. The client demanded a fourth column of ads, and then a fifth column of ads. It was a bad idea on all levels, but ultimately they wrote the checks and we followed orders. But I HATED it. Soon after that the client went out of business, and then the company I worked for failed as well. Beth and I hadn't even been married a whole year at that point, we were both unemployed, and we we were half a country away from all our friends and family. On July 9, 2001 I set up an Ebay account to try and raise a little cash for unemployment. When I set up the account, I was thinking about that stupid fifth column of advertising and how I didn't want to work for idiots anymore. And so I used 5col as the username.

A few years and a few ups and downs later, I started a company selling survival gear. I started on Ebay because that's the cheapest way to do it. Since my username was 5col, I named the company that as well. I meant to change it when I thought of something better, but 8 years later it's starting to seem like I'm not going to have any better ideas.

We should have a contest to see who can come up with a better meaning/story for the name 5col. Maybe give away a Gibson Pinch?

Not Sure, BrianRowe, Zeek and 6 others like this.
  9. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Very nice, thank you. I would have never guessed that.

5col likes this.
  10. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

That is an awesome story....I love names with meanings and the stories behind them....

when I owned my own shop I used to say: "If I'm going to work for a dummy, I may as well be THE Dummy and I'm the dummy here."

not that that applies now......jus'sayin

11. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

It's a good name and a real story. I say keep it. Make 5 columns of survival to market as kits.

5col, mtngoat and shaneadams90 like this.
  12. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

5col has been a blessing for this forum. He has always offered help with giveaways and stocks the BEST paracord EVER among other things. He supports all the companies I love like ESEE and HPG. Thank you sir.

Zeek, 5col, mtngoat and 2 others like this.
  13. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

I am dumber than a box of hammers. I always thought the company name was a clever take on the 5 Cs of Life (COL) in a survival situation from a campcraft perspective.

1. Cordage (Y’all sell the best available)

2. Combustion (Fire/lighting mechanism)

3. Cutlery (Obvious)

4. Container (Hydration procurements/ cooking)

5. Cover (Shelter development)

Well, I feel like an idiot. Either way, appreciate the work you all do and have always been a very satisfied customer.

5col, IW17, mtngoat and 3 others like this.
  14. 5col

I actually didn't hear about that until we were a ways down the road with the 5col name. It seemed at the time like that's Dave Canterbury's concept, so I stay away from it.

Plus, it leaves out some important ones like:

-Contact rescuers
    and
    -Cadminister first aid

mtngoat, Strigidae and Delkancott like this.
  15. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Using Cs was around long before DC and can be applied to numerous things like contact-concealment-cover-cauterize-compress....I figured you narrowed it down some otherwise you would be 50Col.

mtngoat, Delkancott and 5col like this.
  16. boss_crew

boss_crew Member

Love this so much. How often do we see such short-sighted decisions from business owners with no real vision? You guys are a blessing and I will continue to support you however I can! Thankful for you

5col likes this.
  17. jeeter

jeeter Member

Interesting story. I figured the "col" part was from the abbreviation for Colonel. The 5 I was stumped on.

5col likes this.
  18. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

How do you decide what gets put on the website to sell? Do you get to test all the gear first?

mtngoat and 5col like this.
  19. 5col

When we first started out, I made a spreadsheet that listed everything specified for every military-issue survival kit. Then I went down the list and found the best version of each of those items. That's how we came to sell things like Type IV parachute cord and Howard Glass signal mirrors.

In a lot of cases, we have tried gear out before we put it up for sale on our site. I bought a Tarahumara and carried it around for a few months before we contacted HPG, for instance. For other things, we look to the experts. I've never applied a tourniquet to someone who actually needed it, but I feel comfortable taking Joe and Evan's word on which ones are good. I've never used a Mk10 Finger Light, but I know a guy who does and he really likes them.

Ultimately, I'm a shopkeeper, not a survival expert. That means a big part of my job is paying attention to what other people use and like. I want to feel confident that my customers can trust the products I sell.

I also really enjoy finding small American factories that do one thing and do it really well. Derma-Safe and Thompson Snares come to mind.

Gunn, BrianRowe, Jeff Randall and 2 others like this.
  20. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I like this philosophy a lot.

mtngoat, 5col and Strigidae like this.