The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

After chowing down, it was time for the nights entertainment show, courtesy of Mr Otter & Fat B*stard Bird......

this little bird, the size of a golf ball and just as round, was hopping about the driftwood and flying about. Landed on my head a few times and my arm then flew off down the beach a ways.

IMG_0825.JPG IMG_0826.JPG

I was sitting perfectly still, just taking in the view and sounds, when a small otter rambled up the beach right towards me. Almost climbed onto my leg but suddenly realized I was not a log, but a hooman. He retreated a ways and then went around behind me, back down and on his way down the beach. About the size of a small house cat.

IMG_0830.JPG IMG_0832.JPG IMG_0833.JPG

stayed on the beach awhile until the sun dropped and it got cold real fast. I packed up, and headed back to the truck thru the darkening forest.

IMG_0841.JPG IMG_0840.JPG
    gear shot.
    IMG_0843.JPG

fin.

jdh, JMick, Zeek and 7 others like this.
  2. Hammer

Hammer Member

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Troglodytes pacificus

:D
    love the latin name

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Hammer likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

everyone needs one of those Estwing short double bit axes.......AMAZING! I have one slightly obtuse, the other end is racing sharp. Scary lil beast to wield. I hike with it open carry, no sheath. Always in my right hand.

Zeek likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

OCT 21/2018, sunny, warm, clear skies, "The Shadow Lake Fall Colors Hike, Lunch By The Soo River, Lots Of Mushrooms, Test Out New Gear & Catch A Thief Tour"

tons of pics loading...and one hell of a trip report....especially the end of the day when i got back to the truck , in the pitch black darkness.

Started out late........PipSqueak and Miss Copper house panthers were acting weird all morning and early afternoon, hiding, mewling, peeing in inappropriate places, not eating, panicking and running thru the house in a panicked state, tail fur fully poofed out, etc......... (later attributed it to the three massive earthquakes we had off the Coast).

So i hit the Sea To Sky Highway around 1330 hours.....much later than I wanted to be mobile. But the Fur Kids come first!

Got to Shadow Lake Pemberton BC around 1600 hours. Parked the rig by the trailhead/ gated entrance to the Scout Camp. Little did I know that my chosen parking spot would be to my advantage at the end of the night.

chugged a liter of water, downed some trail mix from the MagPul DAKA feed pouch and donned the L.R.R.P.R. webbing. Disabled the truck and headed down the access road/trail.

all photos shot with iPhone 7, post edit done in Google Photos.

setup for night hiking, Fenix HP15 on the chest and the new Fenix HP30R headlamp with remote battery pack

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

right off the bat found some mushrooms. Really need to purchase the plastic mushroom ID cards to carry with me.......

IMG_0412.jpg IMG_0415.jpg IMG_0416.jpg

the autumn leaves cover the trail and forest floor, the aroma of alder leaves is intensely fragrant
    IMG_0423.jpg
    took the shortcut trail to the old trappers cabin. Intense fall colors
    IMG_0428.jpg IMG_0430.jpg
    love how these two trees are intersecting.
    IMG_0441.jpg
    the bark on this douglas fir is over 10" thick
    IMG_0442.jpg
    Ye Olde Trappers Cabin - sadly the door is jammed due to sagging......if i want to clean up the little cabin, I will have to knock the door in with a sledge-hammer and trim it short and rehang it. (be a good day trip with the Trekking Cart....can bring more supplies in!
    IMG_0443.jpg
    I have to give credit to @Reno Lewis , the dude can sharpen a knife! i knocked down this 10" thick willow tree in no time! ;):D credit actually goes to Beaver and Clan:cool:
    IMG_0454.jpg

low water levels in the Ox-Bow portion of the river
    IMG_0481.jpg
    beaver dam still occupied
    IMG_0487.jpg
    gumbo mud
    IMG_0489.jpg
    lots of tracks in the mud. Most are dog, a few human, some i'm not sure yet
    IMG_0485.jpg IMG_0473.jpg IMG_0471.jpg IMG_0469.jpg IMG_0467.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    jdh, JMick, Zeek and 8 others like this.
  6. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

o.k. Bushy, you sure you did not use the Estwing on that willow? :rolleyes:Nice pictures!
    Where are your ESEE knives?:cool:

Bushman5 likes this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the green Soo River.

IMG_0475.jpg
    kinda like the angles and reflections in this photo
    IMG_0483.jpg
    best damn hike/trail/camp/ tool i have ever bought, and bang for the buck too! ($75) and later on the evening it became one hell of an "create fear in a thief" tool
    IMG_0496.jpg
    can anyone ID these holes? they alternated up a cougar scratch tree i found, to about 20' up. claw holes? IMG_0509.jpg
    Beaver decided that the acrid oily taste of a cedar tree was not conducive to his dining habits of birch and alder......lol, Beaver stopped halfway thru and the tree recovered nicely.
    IMG_0513.jpg IMG_0514.jpg
    killing time waiting for Night to embrace the lands........time for a fire and food. Mega TinderRoll and the RMJ knife to slice it up.
    IMG_0517.jpg
    hot fire in no time. Toasted a garlic butter bread loaf I had brought
    IMG_0519.jpg
    15 year old aged white cheddar, cut with the RMJ knife into 1/2" thick slabs, with some black pepper salami
    IMG_0521.jpg

Time To Die
    IMG_0524.jpg
    the old cedar grove near the trappers cabin
    IMG_0526.jpg

ox-bow , now a slough due to low water levels
    IMG_0529.jpg

Hey dude! good to see BC Brother Sasquatch! IMG_0534.jpg IMG_0539.jpg IMG_0557.jpg IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0602.jpg IMG_0608.jpg

the light was waning and parts of the forest and trail were dark, time for field test of the chest light. Yes that is my full fat belly from eating 3lbs of cheese, charcuterie and 7 grain garlic bread, not to mention a small DAKA Pouch of trail mix..........BUUUUURP!
    IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0612.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    jdh, JMick, Zeek and 10 others like this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

no there was 5 willow and alders trees gnawed on by Beaver. There is 9 beaver dams in the area, the old trapper that built that trappers shelter made a living trapping beavers all up and down this area.

Zeek and HelRaiser like this.
  9. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Good looking pic!

[​IMG]

Zeek and CWB like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

which one? pic link no worky......

more loading....the best is yet to come.

Zeek likes this.
  11. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

That's odd, I can see it fine.
    The pic of brush up close, field in the middle, and mountains in the background.

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  12. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  13. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

O.k. I see the beaver teeth marks now. I like the fact that the trapper cabin is made of cedar logs. That cabin will be there for a long time. Maybe those are woodpecker holes.

Bushman5 likes this.
  14. Packrat

Packrat Member

Great stuff Bushman,thanks for all the work put into this.Nice looking snacks there!

Bushman5 likes this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

my slightly perturbed look because the Fenix HP30R cable is stiff and jammed up against my neck.

IMG_0619.jpg

HP30R on HI Flood
    IMG_0620.jpg
    HP30R on HI Flood and SPOT
    IMG_0625.jpg
    looking into the forest, flood/spot
    IMG_0627.jpg
    still light out, but that tunnel of trees was pitch black. Lit up with the HP30R flood and spot on HI
    IMG_0631.jpg IMG_0634.jpg IMG_0636.jpg
    200' douglas fir (this one is a known cougar perch at those lower branches)
    IMG_0638.jpg
    flood and spot on HI
    IMG_0641.jpg
    flood only (hi)
    IMG_0643.jpg IMG_0645.jpg IMG_0647.jpg IMG_0659.jpg
    Night falling, and the temps.......

IMG_06641.jpg

flooding the access road with light....im damn impressed with the HP30R (aside from the annoying cable)
    IMG_0668.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    jdh, JMick, Zeek and 8 others like this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

this is where my aft/ night turned from enjoyable to dealing with scum.

I was about 300' feet from the trailhead/ truck. The headlamp was getting HOT (running on both high levels....the die cast body and led chip heatsinks did their job VERY WELL.

I shut off the lights and walked up the mossy road in the 3/4 full moon light. It was quite enjoyable, though the ever presence of big cats and grizzlies was there....

I was 150' from the trailhead and my truck when i heard a vehicle pull onto the gravel off the highway. Then I heard the sound that got me hyperfocused. The sound of my truck (my late Fathers truck, gifted to me) tailgate being opened and dropped down,and the sound of the canopy gate being raised. Two VERY DISTINCTIVE sounds i know VERY WELL, i can wake from a dead sleep in my apt when i hear those sounds out on the street here in east van

I want to say i got angry and yelled at whoever was breaking into my truck and rushed them right then and flipped out on them ...but I did not.

I got calm.

hyperfocused, and calm.

I padded on the mossy roadside to the trailhead, covering that distance in a minute.

still in the woods and shrubs, right by the trail head, I spotted a car , 20 ' from my truck, , engine running, with a driver at the helm, looking at his cellphone. And also spotted a pair of sneaker clad feet protruding from MY truck bed. 2nd dude in the truck bed was trying to pull out my jerry can and jug of $75 motor oil and washer fluid jugs.

Calm. Focused. I stepped from the blackness of the forest and trees and brush, full camo, no head lamp on,silently.

I am tired of thieves. my drivers door is already fubared because of thieves, all my trucks have been broken into hundreds of times.

Had enough.

calm. I scared myself actually at how calm i was.

grabbed dude's ankles (dude in my truck bed) and in one swift motion, yanked him out of my truck bed and slammed him onto the ground. Knocked the wind out of him.

Put my boot on his neck, my knee in his back and pushed down hard. Got up close and personal in his face and asked him what he was doing. He started crying. Snot and hiccups and tears. His buddy in the car was unaware at this point. Buddy on the ground at this point had no idea what was happening, other than a shadow stepped from the darkness and grabbed him.

My voice at this point was loud.......Now i was angry. dude in the car heard it and started yelling "WTF WTF?? whats happening? his buddy was not answering, because i had literally terrified the **** out of him.

Slammed my ax into the ground beside buddies head and spoke to him calmly . Told him the next time he steals from someone, that someone may not be as nice as me.

This is where he pissed himself. He looked down at his pants and cried i just pissed myself....wtf man.....

I hauled him up and kicked him towards his buddies car.

he fell and pissed more and then he waddled on in full piss covered jeans to his buddies car, (who was now totally freaking out). They left.

I got in my truck and went home.

no point calling police here......NOTHING will done.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Willow, jdh, JMick and 12 others like this.
  17. Menace

Menace Member

Simply awesome

Bushman5 likes this.
  18. Switchblade

Switchblade Member

Love it!
    Two thumbs up!

Bushman5 likes this.
  19. Packrat

Packrat Member

You handled that well,great pics and story,Would be a nice short film,Bushman ruffs up the parking lot punks!:D

Bushman5 likes this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I was pissed mad dude...........had enough of the thieves. I did kind rough up the young man but not in a criminal or violent way.....just made him VERY AWARE of the people he might run into

Sadly here in BC , rural property crime is at INSANE levels.

not going to let that BS deter me from my activities.

this weekend is the TREKKING CART shakedown test! I plan to head up to Shadow Lake and haul the cart and some building supplies and tools to the venerable trappers cabin at Shadow Lake....fix the door, clean up the cabin, maybe even bring along a special guest - Miss Copper Kitty! she is almost 6 years old, built like a freaking TANK and one hell of a sadistic & lethal mouse/rat killer. I would bring PipSqueak, but he is young, inexperienced and a little panicky when outside the apt.

Custom placard for the truck. Working on contacting the Scout Troops so i can get a gate key and drive in (and supply the Scout Camp with firewood)
    20181027_010037.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.