Pick my carry gun, Expat

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Odinborn, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....well a Browning High Power of course !!! It goes so well with the SLR/FNFAL I would be carrying if I knew i was stepping out the door and into a gunfight ;) ;)

Kevo likes this.
  2. Kevo

Kevo Member

The pistol part kinda pokes a hole in the whole theory lol

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Yes, but if I KNEW I needed to fight with a pistol it would probably still be a BHP....once the SLR was empty ;)

Strigidae and Kevo like this.
  4. Boots

Boots Member

When I carry a pistol it use to be a 1911 but I help with security at church and now it is a Glock 30S. I know a lot of folks swear by 19's including some of my family but I like big holes.

Zeek likes this.
  5. olywa

olywa Member

I think you'll be happy with that Glock 36. I shoot my buddy's 36 from time to time and it checks a lot of boxes for me: good ergos, good recoil management, and good accuracy.

That being said, I carry an M&P Shield 45. Disappears IWB, great ergos and I shoot it as well or better than my full size 1911. I carry it with the stock 7-round magazine and the only mod to date was adding a Hogue Handall grip sleeve. I'll prolly add night sights at some point.

Zeek likes this.
  6. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

Not to bring this thread back, as I've already purchased the 36 (and then a 43 as well), but I'm beginning to reconsider the 36.

On my way to work tonight I witnessed a car in the opposite lane hit a doe, sending her into my oncoming lane. I was far enough away to completely slow down/pull over and check to make sure I was wearing my brown pants. Afterwards, she was still moving a great deal and was obviously in distress. The other car never stopped, and there isn't a residence within a mile in any direction so I decided to get out and help end her suffering (for anyone curious, I called my state police and notified them, and waited for an officer to respond/check my permit).

The part that makes me worried about my 36 is that it pulled a FTF after the only shot I had taken. In this situation it didn't matter at all, but it's beginning to be a trend when shooting it that I can't seem to remedy. I know it's a common problem for the 36, especially with HP ammo, but if this had been any other situation it could have made me take the Room Temperature Challenge.

7. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

How many rounds have you fired through your 36? Types of ammo?

8. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

I bought it used. I put 350 of 230gr. hardball, as well as a little less than 100 rounds of Train+Protect.

9. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

I carry and shoot a 36 quite a bit, I have put several hundred rounds of hardball as well as several boxes of Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel with only one failure to feed and that was a bulge in the case I believe from improper bullet seating. Was it just one failure or have you had multiple? With the same ammo or both? I'm definitely not a Glock Fan Boy I have multiple handguns that I enjoy shooting a lot more but I carry the Glock consistently because of its size, lack of protrusions and it's proven reliability. I'm very interested in seeing what the cause of the FTF is

Zeek likes this.
  10. Kevo

Kevo Member

Depending on the amount of rounds fired by the previous owner, it may be time for a new recoil spring. You can also try marking your mags to see if you can pin down the failure to a single magazine. I've gotten failures from bent feed lips before. And of course, it's worth trying some different ammo like speer or federal hst.

In any case, I wouldn't rely on the 36 for self defense until it is sorted out.

11. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

Great advice, while it's pretty unusual to find a Glock that doesn't function properly it's not unheard of I had one in .357 Sig that was pretty temperamental with different types of ammo. I feel bad that you are going through this it's definitely disconcerting to have a self defense weapon that you don't trust. That being said if you can identify the problem, ammo, springs.... I still think the 36 is one of the best concealed carry pieces out there.

Zeek likes this.
  12. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

I've had a FTF at a rate of roughly 1 in 10, plus or minus a round. I only have one mag for it currently, and the spring is still good in it. I've debated polishing the feed ramp a bit and see if that helps, but I'm really at a loss. I'll try getting a random assortment of ammo types/brands and see if anything cycles better.

13. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

I looked into the Federal Train and Protect, it appears it is a reboot of the 30 year old Hi Shok design that went away years ago partly because the newer designs (Hydra Shok and HST) were more reliable in both feeding and expansion. That might be part of the problem but it wouldn't explain if you are getting FTFs with hardball

Zeek likes this.
  14. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

3CEF2927-07A1-4071-9B08-7BADC700F5AE.jpeg As I have aged I have became a big 9mm fan.
    For the following reasons:
    Everyone is affected by recoil;
    I now have to buy ammo, 9mm is cheaper;
    I love my CZ75 and my Sig 938;
    Bullet technology has grown in leaps and bounds;
    I do hate the .40 because of the high pressure and because I watched a lot of people struggle with it.

I still carry a 1911 sometimes but should sell my collection. I even carry single actions so why listen to me.

And for no reason here is a pic of me in my natural state pontificating on my soapbox

Zeek and Hammer like this.