Bass Pro Shop buyout

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JAD, Oct 3, 2016.

1. CWB

CWB Member

Cabelas way too high on everything especially their brand name clothing.

2. C99c

C99c Member

They have competition, just not in another outdoor specific retailer. Amazon, eBay (and Walmart, especially if they keep ramping up their Amazon like online services and selection) plus other small online shops are their competition.
    They don't have the huge overhead that Bass Pro/Cabelas have and you can choose from a larger selection with a great return policy and quick shipping at a better price sitting at home.
    Add to that the fact that Bass Pro and especially Cabelas has arguably diluted the heavily marketed "experience" of visiting one of their stores by opening up one a couple of hours drive in every direction and making many of those small, subpar versions (at least in my area).
    So, how do they compete and grow pofits? I'm glad I'm not the one who has to figure that out but I hope they are successful.
    Considering what they sell and support I hope my great grandkids are still arguing about which one is better.

3. Joelski

Joelski Member

Hopefully, BPS doesn't cock this up!

4. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Funny, I don't care for either. Bass Pro has a lot of goofy off-branded stuff and generally nothing I would wear. Cabela's is a bit nicer but way too overpriced.

5. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

We don't have a BPS here in Utah, we got two Cabelas that I know of and I like them both.

90% of the time I buy Tackle warehouse or online for my fishing gear so I'm not sure if it makes a difference for me...

6. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

We don't have a cabelas within 75 miles and I'm not sure where the closest bass pro is.
    This doesn't matter at all to me. I buy my guns from local store and my fishing stuff comes from a variety of local chains.

I never have liked cabelas so no loss for me.

7. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Agree. Both stores sound awesome in theory but in reality they never did a thing for me personally. Either selection or price was always a factor that excluded me from buying anything there.

koolaidnd likes this.
  8. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I'd rather pay more, within reason, and support a local store. When in salesman knows my name or says hi on the street speaks louder then a mega chain box stores options.

VolGrad likes this.
  9. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I like going to Cabelas and BP to see the products I'm interested in first hand.....then go home and buy it online for a 1/3 less....especially their knives...example
    Kershaw Cryo blackwash...
    Cabelas- 49.99
    Knifecenter-38.99
    Amazon- 30.00

10. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Cabelas in East Grand Forks had a Spyderco Delica priced at almost $100. And they wonder why they're falling apart.

11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.... Gander Mountain ??

JAD likes this.
  12. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Today I'm in Bass Pro and an associate just told me they are already stocking some of Cabela's clothing line and vice versa.

13. wilas101

wilas101 Member

My first thought was "get ready for higher prices" but we'll see. It doesn't affect me as much these days since there isn't one close. The closest is in Billings and I prefer going to Scheels when we go up there. The prices aren't any better but they have a ferris wheel in there and I'm childishly amused by such things.

14. CWB

CWB Member

Gander Mountain is how Cabelas got so big. They purchased their mail order rights and address list. For a many of years Gander Mountain just went away.

15. Vapour

Vapour Member

I rarely bought anything at regular price at Cabelas, but their house-brand Gore-Tex on clearance has been pretty nice. I'm walking distance from the biggest Bass Pro and have zero reason to go into the store again.

16. eyerish

eyerish Member

Dicks bought out Galyans.