The DA/SA Thread

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Hammer, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Hammer

Hammer Member

The title says it all. For fans of DA/SA pistols, share your info, pics and experiences here.

I'll get it started with a some good vids about the basics of shooting these well:

2. Hammer

Hammer Member

And from Lucky Gunner:

Bcamos likes this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Member

4. olywa

olywa Member

I've been doing some serious thinking about the CZ P-07. The last DA/SA I had was the CZ RAMI. I liked it well enough but it just didn't fit my hand well.

Good idea for a thread. I'm looking forward to hearing about folks experiences. Even though I've been carrying/using striker fired pistols for the last dozen years or so, I've never been that fond of them. Functional tools but kind of soulless.

Hammer likes this.
  5. Hammer

Hammer Member

I think way too much of a big deal is made about the 'long first trigger pull' as well as the transition from DA to SA for the remaining shots. In reality, it's a pretty easy thing to learn with some practice and training. As long as all the other basic fundaments are in place - esp. proper grip and pressure, it's something you don't even think about after a while. Maybe if all someone has ever shot are striker fired guns with light triggers it could feel weird, but having spent a fair bit of time with revolvers, it's an easy transition.

Personally, I'm partial to the decocker/no safety style that Sig uses. I don't like the idea of needing to manually decock nor do I want a safety. I noticed recently that even Langdon, who is fully on board with Beretta, has come out with a special version of the 92 "Elite TT" with a decocker/no safety setup.

olywa and Spikebot587 like this.
  6. olywa

olywa Member

I hear you. I came up on DA revolvers and 1911s. I'm partial to that long pull on the first shot, and I also appreciate a crisp single action trigger break. DA/SA seems like the best of both worlds. Decocker with no safety is just icing on the cake.

Hammer likes this.
  7. jdh

jdh Member

5FBF28A3-7553-4777-B084-49D0EF0BBEEF.jpeg
    Recently picked this up for my daughter to practice with until her National Guard unit transitions over to the Sig ( I’ve got a 320 when that happens).

I’m a Glock guy but I like shooting the 92. I used to shoot/carry a Sig 229 but for some reason shot it like crap and moved on to the Glock years ago.

I agree the DA first trigger pull “issue” can be over played and, in my opinion, is something you can train through.

8. junglebum

junglebum Member

I have p07 as my competition pistol, my glocks all have the ny2 trigger (12#) so a heavy pull is not an issue the single action is almost too sensitive... absolutely love the gun

9. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I like HK..

C510517A-6EF5-4868-9D68-02583BA10660.jpeg C20CADC3-B598-4561-8E49-09B82707062A.jpeg

Hammer likes this.
  10. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

Ive been looking at the the HK uspc, sig 229, and cz p01 hard recently. Jusg cant narrow it down.

11. Hammer

Hammer Member

More of a Sig guy myself, but man the new Beretta 92 Tac Elite looks sweet....

12. Rich275

Rich275 Member

I learned to shoot with a Sig226 in 1991. On duty I carried that, a 228, a HK USP and a Sig220 until 2006 when we change to Glock 22's.
    I really hadn't shot much da/Sa for the past decade and took my 220 to the range a couple weeks ago. Don't know if it's the number of rounds previously fired or that my trigger press is that much better, but that gun was rock solid and the trigger was totally smooth.
    We teach a smooth trigger press start to finish regardless of the type of trigger or gun.

Hammer likes this.
  13. Hammer

Hammer Member

Exactly.

14. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

I love my Sig P226 Legion...

[​IMG]

15. Hammer

Hammer Member

Likewise (P229 in my case). I put 350 rounds through mine this week and it's a really phenomenal gun. I think there's basically two camps when it comes to the Legion series:

1) People who roll their eyes at the marketing (which I can understand) and think they are over-priced, and...

2) People who've actually shot one.

It doesn't seem like there are many people in the latter camp who share the former opinion, marketing hype aside. The differences from a standard DA/SA Sig aren't just cosmetic - there are notable, functional improvements to the trigger, the sights, the ergonomics. I got mine on a trade-in - would I have paid full retail for one? I'm not sure... But now that I have one and have spent some time with it, I'm seriously impressed. I think that at street prices, you could spend that much buying a base level Sig and upgrading it to something approaching a Legion (and you still wouldn't have the frame improvements).

[​IMG]

16. jdh

jdh Member

I have yet to shoot a Legion series but I’d like to try one. I’m not sure why but I can’t seem to shoot the 220, 226,228,229 worth a darn.

From those I have watched shoot Legions, they do seem to be very accurate shooters.

17. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

I had been a 1911 guy since my military days but a Navy man convinced me to try the 226 and I haven't looked back. I have two MK25's and a 239 now, I shoot them well DA or SA and get faster follow-up shots in with 9mm. I'm finding the Sig system pretty low maintenance as well, I have went 1,000 suppressed rounds between cleaning and never had an issue, besides the black crap all over me and everything around me ;)
    45-1.JPG

Hammer and Zeek like this.
  18. olywa

olywa Member

Out looking for a CZ P-07 today and couldn't find one locally. But I did get to fondle a Sig (25 I think?), and a Berretta PX4 Storm Compact. I liked them both but I still want to find the CZ.

I also got some grip time with the Springfield XD-E in 9mm and 45. Nice ergos but rides a little high in the hand.

Hammer and Zeek like this.
  19. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

I agree about the marketing on the Legion, but it is actually a pretty cool thing with the knives and some of the gear for legion owner only.

But I could live without it....

20. Hammer

Hammer Member